Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveler's cheques versus real dollars 2010/10/2 09:49
I have bought a lot of Traveler's Checks but just read in the archives where they are harder to cash in. Is that still true? Should I bring real dollars to Japan instead?
by Tess C (guest)  

Money 2010/10/2 14:43
Get about 10 000 to 20 000 yen in the USA then use your ATM in Japan to get cash for small expenses, like meals, snacks, small purchases, ..then use credit card to pay for hotels etc.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

ATM 2010/10/2 22:19
I don't use ATM-never have so it would not be something I would begin to use now :) To buy Yen in the US at this time only gives me about 80 yen per dollar. Once I get to Japan I want to convert to yen-using either TC or dollars.

Someone told me I may get a better rate using my credit card! Is thatright?
by Tess C (guest) rate this post as useful

travelers cheques vs. cash 2010/10/3 00:35
I usually take my yen into Japan when I travel so I don't know what would be simpler in terms of exchanging cheques/cash for yen. I assume cash would be easier. Just a reminder, however, that when you use your credit card in an international transaction, you will probably be charged (by your credit card company) a 3% international transaction fee.
by huladancer (guest) rate this post as useful

used a combination 2010/10/3 02:21
My last 2 trips, I used TC,ATM and CC. Upon arrival at the airport I changed some TC to last me a couple of days. Half way through my vacation I used ATM to last me for the remainder of trip. Paid Hotel with Credit card. The problem is, no matter what you're using, there's a fee involve.
by Patrick (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/10/3 05:23
You can easily exchange TCs at the airport or postoffice all over Japan. No worries. TC give you the best exchange rate. Bring TC in USD.

http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread