Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone loop 2010/10/6 00:09
Hi, I'm traveling to Hakone in 22nd Nov from Tokyo. Would like to know if is better to stay arounf Lake Ashi if I intend to do the loop tour. Then I can go by clock wise and stay ard lake Ashi for a night and continue my the other half loop before heading back Tokyo? It will be too troublesome if staying Yumoyo, isn't it?
May I know the weather/Temperture in Nov?
by Darius W (guest)  

It is up to you but 2010/10/6 14:13
It doesn't matter which way you do the loop. But the reason for doing usual counter clockwise is that you take the slow switch back train slowly climbing up, seeing the gorge & views, the cable car, the rope way to the Owakudani high point for steam rising & possible Mt Fuji view on a clear day, then you go down for the Lake Ashi view.
The area near Togendai rope way/ship port/bus station is a very convenient place to stay a night. It is about a half way and easy transport access for any kind. I much prefer to stay here for the tranquil & quiet nature surroundings for evening & morning stroll. Then take the ship across the lake in the morning when it is less crowded.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/6 15:23
I think staying over at Togendai/Ubako area is a good idea - I might also suggest going counterclockwise. Since 23rd is a national holiday, it would be nice to do the first half, including the switchback train and the ropeway (Owakudani tends to get crowded), on a weekday (22nd).

I recall (I did the loop on Friday - Saturday, going counterclockwise and staying near Togendai/Ubako) that the boat across the lake really started filling up already around 10:30 am or so, with people who probably started from Tokyo early in the morning.

If you fancy a particular ryokan you want to stay in Yumoto, you might want to start really early in the morning from Tokyo, and do the loop on the first day, then stay in Yumoto for the onsen hot spring experience, and leisurely return to Tokyo.
by AK rate this post as useful

Hakone loop 2010/10/6 15:46
Thanks so much for the great info. It really help in my planning :)
As I've a 3yo son so is better to divide the loop into 2 days :)
by Darius W (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread