Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which travel pass should I buy 2010/10/7 12:55
Hi,

I am holidaying in Osaka for 4 days. I am wondering which pass should I buy upon arriving at Osaka. Should I buy Osaka unlimited pass or Multiple Ride Card.
I have read their website but they seems to be alike.

My trip is as follows:
Day 1 - From KIX kansai to Namba Nankai using Nankai Ltd Express
Day 2 - From Namba Nankai to Universalcity which will use a JR Yamatoji Line and Nankai Ltd Exp line
Day 3 - Osaka Namba to Osakako using Chuo line and Hanshin Namba line.
Day 4 - From Namba Nankai to KIX kansai using Nankai Ltd Exp line.

In between these days, I may travel up to Old Castle or Umeda, avoiding the use of JR.

My question is
1) For the Osaka Unlimited pass, it states that it covers all subway, new trams and buses. Does that means it cover all lines including JR lines and Nankai railways lines? It also states that if we want to have reserve seats, we need to buy necessary tickets. Does that means we have to pay an entire new one way ticket with reserve seat or just top up the amount to have a reserve seat?

2) Whether it is Unlimited Pass or Mulitiple ride card, can I buy a 4 day usage pass or card?

3) Can either of the card be bought at the Kansai airport?

4) Since I am travelling with 2 kids of 3 and 1, do they need to have a pass too?

5) I am staying beside the Namba Nankai station and have read the Nankai Railway website, is it worth for me to buy a Osaka Aquarium Kaikuyan ticket for 2850yen per adult with free entrance to Aquarium? It states free rides for all subways..again, does it cover JR lines?

Thanks in advance for advises.

Confuse first time traveller
by daniel (guest)  

. 2010/10/7 21:07
In between these days, I may travel up to Old Castle or Umeda, avoiding the use of JR.

My question is
1) For the Osaka Unlimited pass, it states that it covers all subway, new trams and buses. Does that means it cover all lines including JR lines and Nankai railways lines? It also states that if we want to have reserve seats, we need to buy necessary tickets. Does that means we have to pay an entire new one way ticket with reserve seat or just top up the amount to have a reserve seat?

1) The Unlimited pass does not cover JR lines and only covers the Nankai line between Sakai and Namba stations on the one day version, it does not cover the section from Kansai Airport to Sakai. The two day version is only valid for city buses, New tram and subways, it does not cover private railways:

http://www.pia-kansai.ne.jp/osp/en/03_kukan.php

For reserved seats you would only pay the reservation charge.

2) As clearly stated on the web site, the Unlimited Pass is available for either one or two days only. The Multiple ride card is a "pay as you go" card (fare is deducted for individual journeys), it is not a pass and does not cover JR or private railways.

3) Yes.

4) I am pretty certain that children under 5 travel free.

5) This is just the aquarium admission ticket (2,000 Yen) plus a one day subway pass (850 Yen), it only covers the Osaka subways.

To be honest, I really do not think the Unlimited Pass is good value for you. As an example:

Day 1 - From KIX kansai to Namba Nankai using Nankai Ltd Express.

1,390 Yen via Nankai Limited Express Rapit.

Day 2 - From Namba Nankai to Universalcity which will use a JR Yamatoji Line and Nankai Ltd Exp line

Osaka-Namba station to Nishikujo via Hanshin private railway - 200 Yen. Nishikujo to Universal City via JR 160 Yen.

Day 3 - Osaka Namba to Osakako using Chuo line and Hanshin Namba line.

This can all be done quicker by just using the subway with one change - 270 Yen

Day 4 - From Namba Nankai to KIX kansai using Nankai Ltd Exp line.

1,390 Yen via Nankai Limited Express Rapit.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Appreciate your advises 2010/10/7 23:28
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your advise.
by daniel (guest) rate this post as useful

Should I go for the aquarium ticket? 2010/10/8 14:15
Hi Rob,

Sorry, do you think I should buy the Osaka Aquarium ticket from Nankai Electric Railway. In its website, it states the following:

A convenient and good-value ticket for sightseeing Osaka on the first day of arrival.
"It offers admission to Osaka’s popular venue – the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan and unlimited rides on the subways, new trams,buses and all trains operated by the Nankai Electric Railway for a whole day.
The ticket can be used from Kansai International Airport (excludes the Rapi:t Ltd.Express ticket.) It includes a set of coupons for discount admission to venues in the Osaka Bay area, and presenting the ticket allows the user to receive discount admission to about 30 venues such as Osaka Castle and Tsutenkaku Tower.

Sales Period: February 6, 2010 to February 15, 2011
Period of Validity: Only valid on the day of travel
Fares: Adults (over 16) 2,850 yen
Children: 1,450 yen
Where to buy:
Ticket sales windows in Nankai Electric Railway Kansai Airport Station, etc.

Do you think it is useful if I were to travel fron Namba Nankai to Osakako, then from Osakako to Tanimachi-4-chrome to see old castle and then to Dotonbori?

If I want to go Dotonbori around early evening time, like 530pm, from Old castle, which station should I stop at? Reviews says that at Dotonbori, we can walk along the river and see Glico signage. After dotonbori, I would walk along Midosuji dori where it is lined with gingko trees and name-branded shops, and the street will lead me back to Namba Nankai.
You think it is possible?

With the Osaka Aquarium ticket, you think it is worthwhile for me to purchase based on the above travelling routes?

Thanks for your advise.
by daniel (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/8 19:24
As it includes transit from Kansai airport to Namba, then this is good value. Although is states that it ''excludes the Rapi:t Ltd.Express ticket'' it may be that you can pay the 500 Yen seat reservation and use the rapi:t. Ask when you get the ticket.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread