Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Usage of JR pass 2010/10/7 20:22
I'll be doing free & easy from 6 Dec to 16 Dec to Tokyo/Osaka/Hakone. My draft itinenary as follows :

Singapore/Tokyo (6 Dec to 8 Dec)
Tokyo/Osaka (8 Dec to 11 Dec)
Osaka/Hakone (11 Dec to 13 Dec)
Hakone/Disneyland (13 Dec to 16 Dec)

I intend to buy 7-Day JR pass upon arrival. I would like to know if my JR Pass can be used :

1) within Osaka (e.g. Shinosaka to Universal City, etc).
2) For Hakone, I know I have to buy Hakone or Fuji Hakone free pass to use within Hakone. However, can I use my JR pass from Gotemba Station to Tokyo. I'm planning to shop at Gotemba just before leaving for Tokyo and so I would like to come back from Gotemba.
3) what is the main differences between Hakone and Fuji Hakone pass?
4) Is it still possible to go Mt.Fuji/take ropeway/cruise during Dec period?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks in advance.
by Niebrown  

. 2010/10/8 18:39
1) JR rail pass can be used between Shin Osaka and Universal Studios and to Osaka Umeda, for most other areas it is not very useful as the JR tracks basically operate as a loop line around Osaka and the subway is better.

2) Yes, you can use JR from Gotemba to Tokyo, the journey time is around two hours.

3) Basically the area of coverage, price and what transport can be used. The Fuji Hakone Pass includes transit to/from Shinjuku, so it would not really be for you if you are coming from Osaka.

Hakone Free Pass details:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

Fuji Hakone Pass details:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_014.html
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

no! 2010/10/8 20:23
Please be aware that the JR Pass cannot be purchased inside Japan. It must be purchased as an exchange orderbefore you leave your country. You then validate it once you arrive in Japan and receive the JR Pass.
by lynda rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/8 20:35
Thanks for spotting the "on arrival" bit, missed that one completely!

Usage of JR pass 2010/10/8 22:55
Thanks for the reply.

What about question 4 about the access to Mt. Fuji, ropeway and Lake Ashi cruise during my period of visit or rather, winter season.

Thanks in advance.
by Niebrown rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/8 23:41
Not 100% certain, but as these are included within the Hakone Free Pass I would expect them to operate.

JR Pass 2010/10/9 02:47
"for most other areas it is not very useful as the JR tracks basically operate as a loop line around Osaka and the subway is better'

I beg to differ..If one already has the JR pass, it only takes 5-15 minutes extra at most to use the loop line instead of the subway. Tourists are usually not in a a big hurry anyway...in addition the loop line is above ground and offer interesting views of Osaka.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Distance within stations 2010/10/9 12:30
Thanks all for your help.

I'll most probably buy the JR pass so I can take the Shinkansen train to Osaka/Hakone/Tokyo. Do I have to reserve seats for all train type or can I just board anytime using the pass as in the case for Subway?

As each station serves many different lines to various places. I would like to know if I need to change to another line within the station, do I have to walk very far to catch the other train? What if I missed the train (assuming I've to reserve seat) due to the fact that I'm not sure how far do I have to walk to catch the next train.

Thank you.
by Niebrown rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/5 17:12
1) I've bought my JR pass yesterday. Does it mean I can use the Narita Express (round trip) without extra cost?

You could use the JR Rail Pass on the Nartita Express but, based on your previous posts, you plan to use the 7 Day pass on December 13th to go from Gotemba to Shinagawa (although, as you at the Sheraton, this would be to Maihama). This would mean activating the pass on December 7th, as you arriving Narita on the 6th you would not be able to use the pass on the N'EX.

2) Prior reservation (both ways) is a must for Narita Express? Am I right?

Reservation is required, but you can do this at the station when you arrive to catch the train.

3) I can buy the Suica pass for 2,000yen (of which 500 yen is a refundable deposit). I can use it as and when for any mean of transport and get the balance refunded at any JR station, am I right?

Suica can be used for virtually all transportation in the Tokyo area and on JR trains in certain other areas of Japan, but not on subways, private railways or buses. You can get the balance and deposit refunded, but there is a handling charge of 210 Yen.

4) Do you think I should use airport limousine for return trip from Sheraton to Narita? The reason is because my flight is at 11.30am. If I used the Narita Express, I'll probably hit the peak hour at Maihama/Tokyo station (not forgetting I'll have all my luggage with me). Please advise.

I think this might be a good idea, the connecting walk at Tokyo station when coming from Maihama is very long and at the sort of time you will be there will be very busy.

5) How's the traffic condition like between 7-8am on weekday (Thursday) in the direct from Sheraton to Narita using airport limousine?

You should be OK as you will be going out of Tokyo against morning rush hour traffic.

I think your best option is to exchange your JR Rail Pass voucher at Narita and activate it from December 7th and at the same time get the N'EX + Suica one way to Shinagawa. Use the Suica on December 6/7th and also use your JR Rail Pass for any JR travel within Tokyo on the 7th. Try to go to places that are not served by JR on the 6th and that are served by JR on the 7th.

From 8th thru 13th you'll not have need for the Suica for travel as you will have your rail pass. Nor will you need it for travel 14-16th because, I assume you will be spending your time at Disney.

reply to this thread