Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to travel from Tokyo to Osaka 2010/10/10 21:59
Will be staying in Osaka for 3 days, travelling from Tokyo to Osaka.
Please suggest the best way to get to Osaka.
by schordiya29  

Tokyo to Japan 2010/10/11 02:11
There are a number of ways and you should try Hyperdia http://www.hyperdia.com/ to check your options on what best suites you. In my opinion, Tokyo to Osaka Shinkansen is the most convenient of all options.
by Japan Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

to Osaka 2010/10/11 05:30
The BEST way would be a private plane.
The most convenient is by Shinkansen.

If you are going back to Tokyo and intend to visit Osaka and nearby Kyoto and Nara, a 7 days JR pass (bought in your country) is a good deal.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Best way to travel - Tokyo to Osaka 2010/10/11 09:42
Thanks to both of you for the replies.

I would be travelling with my husband and both of us will have 1 hand luggage each along with 1 big bag (check in luggage types) so can we travel with all this on Shinkansen?

Also is taking a domestic flight to Osaka cheaper or travelling by Shinkansen.Pls. suggest.
by schordiya29 rate this post as useful

Travel from Tokyo to Osaka 2010/10/11 09:51
I checked on hyperdia site for Shinkansen to Osaka, do I need to reserve my seats before I travel i.e. before 31st Oct'10 in advance or if I book the tickets on the same day there will be no issues?
Also if I book in advance will there be a difference in the ticket price?

Shinkansen 2010/10/11 10:41
You can reserve in advance but in Japan, not from your country. I usually reserve the evening before, as I don't like to be tied up to a specific departure time in advance, but sometimes do it only 30 minutes before departure.
Your luggage is not a problem.
You don't get a discount for reserving in advance.

Reserving is not compulsory by the way. There are several non-reserved cars, clearly marked--in English too--on each train but they are first come, first served.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo to Osaka 2010/10/11 11:13
Airplanes maybe a tad more expensive than reserved Shinkansen seats... and if you consider the hassle of checking in for an airline flight, you will realize that it is much better taking the Shinkansen. My recommendation will be use the luggage delivery service at the Tokyo Airport (or from major hotels) deliver your bigger suitcases to your hotel in Osaka. It is okay to travel with small luggage in the Shinkansen, but big suitcases are a pain. Check this site for information on Luggage Delivery Services, and you can find a lot of useful information.

Good luck.
by Japan Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

tokyo - osaka 2010/10/11 11:30
@japan Visitor - ur site did not get posted, please repost the link for the site.

... 2010/10/11 11:53
Hi schordiya29,

I think they meant japan-guide.com (this site), which has a lot of travel information in the "travel" section you can find on the navigation bar at the top of the screen.
by Terminator2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread