Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jonangu Shrine Transportation 2010/11/2 22:26
We plan to visit Jonangu Shrine. Planning the transportation there.
I read that if taking train: Karasuma Line to Takeda Station. Then 5 mins by bus.
Bus: City Bus No 1,2,3 to Jonangu-higashi-guchi. Then 3 mins on foot.

This City bus 1,2 & 3 leave from Kyoto Station? Just that I don't see them in the Bus Navi Map departure point from Kyoto Station. Also, is the trip included in the 1-day city bus pass (Y500)?
Thanks,
Mel
by Melanie Putra  

... 2010/11/4 02:15
From Takeda Station it is only 1.5 km to Jonangu Shrine, about a 15 to 20 minute walk. Or if you don't like walking, take a taxi.

From Kyoto Station take either the Kintetsu Kashihara Line Express (200 yen, 5 minutes) or the Kyoto City Karasuma Line (250 yen, 6 or 7 minutes) to Takeda Station. The Kintetsu Kashihara Line Express leaves about every 5 minutes and has one stop. The Kyoto City Karasuma Line leaves Kyoto Station at about the same interval and has three stops.There is also a Kintetsu Kyoto Line Local that takes about the same amount of time as the express. Any of the above trains will get you to Takeda Station in less than 10 minutes.

by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/4 16:26
Hi Geogeek1,

Thanks for your reply.. Is the signage from Takeda Station to the Shrine good? I just wonder about what I read re the bus to the Shrine from Kyoto Station as well as Takeda Station...
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Buses 2010/11/4 23:16
To answer your original question, the bus you are describing leaves from Takeda Station (See Below):

Directions to Jonangu Shrine from Takeda Station:take Kyoto City Bus Minami #1, 2, 3 from subway Takeda Station (#4 exit) and get off at Jonangu Higashi-guchi ({ - Jonangu Shrine East Entrance)

This webpage (Japanese) should give you an idea of your route whether you take the bus or walk:

http://www.jonangu.com/route.htm

Takeda Station is in the upper right of the map. The Jonangu Higashi-guchi bus stop is the circle with the upside down "t" beneath it, that is located just above the postal code 612-8459 in the lower right center of the map. There is a Lawson's close to the bus stop. When you get off the bus, head south to the next traffic light, cross the street beneath the expressway (you will see Daiwa House across the street). Jonangu-michi is the street at the stop light. Walk due west to the East Shrine Entrance at the end of the street.

Hopefully this helps.

. 2010/11/5 04:51
Hi Geogeek1,

Thanks so so so much for your kind assistance!

Mel

One more thing... 2010/11/5 11:01
...I forgot to answer your last question. But first, those bus routes are definitely off the Kyoto bus navi grid (too far south).

Here is another Kyoto City Bus Navi map in Japanese that shows the routes you need.

http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/cmsfiles/contents/0000019/19770/rose...

Scroll down to the bottom map and look on the left side of the map for Takeda Station (|c K15). The bus route you are looking for is Minami () 1,2 or Minami () 3 (they both come together at the intersection just before your stop; I would take the first bus that comes along that is either 1, 2, or 3). Like I said in the previous post, your stop is just after the Lawson's on the left. Anyway, back to the map, the route(s) you want are the ones colored lavender (or purple). Your stop is the second stop on either route ({).

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

One more thing (2)... 2010/11/5 11:49
... I found a bus route from the north side of Kyoto Station. Take the 19 bus and 13 stops later is the Jonangu Shrine ({) stop (basically right in front of the shrine. It costs 220 yen and takes about 27 minutes.

The routes from Takeda Station to Jonanguhigashi-guchi stop also cost 220 yen and take 4 or 5 minutes depending on whether you take the 2 or 3 bus. The train ride from Kyoto Station to Takeda Station is 200 yen minimum and takes about 5 to 7 minutes. You also have a 5 minute walk from the bus stop to the shrine.

So, from Kyoto Station you can take a direct bus (19) for 220 yen and 27 minutes or so of your time. Or you can take the train to Takeda Station, then bus 2 or 3 and walk the rest of the way for 420 yen and 15 or 16 minutes of your time assuming that you have a minimum wait time during transfers.

Personally, I would take the 19 bus from Kyoto Station.

One more thing (3)... 2010/11/5 11:56
...or, you can take the 19 bus out of the south side of Kyoto Station (go to the right out of the station) to Jonangu Shrine stop for 220 yen and take 21 minutes of your time. You also eliminate 2 stops (11 total).

. 2010/11/6 01:35
Hi Geogeek1,

Wow! U are a true lifesaver! Thanks so much once again!

One last thing... 2010/11/6 11:16
...if you walk to the left (east) out of the south entrance of the Kyoto Station and cross the street to the bus stop by the Avanti Building, you can eliminate one more stop and save an additional few minutes. It still costs 220 yen.

. 2010/11/6 12:04
Hi! The bus stop by the Avanti Building - May I know what street is that bus stop on? I tried to find Avanti Bldg on Google Map but failed..
Secondly I assume this bus 19 in Kyoto Bus and not City Bus so it doesn't accept the 500 yen 1-day City Bus Pass?

Bus Stop 2010/11/6 19:25
Using Google Maps, the Avanti Building bus stop is on the southeast corner of Hachijo Dori and Karasuma Dori. It's the same building as the FISMY building next to the Hotel Keihan Kyoto.

If you place the street view icon on the text for Hachijo Dori and look to the south you can see the bus stop.

The 19 bus is outside the Pass area, but since it is in the flat fare area, you may try to use it. The worst that can happen is that they will charge you the 220 yen.

Good luck.

reply to this thread