Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Peak hours on Shinkansen 2010/11/2 23:46
Hi,

I understand that subway/train will be packed during morning 7.30am to 9.30am and evening will be 5pm to 8pm. What about Shinkansen?

I intend to reserve seats on Shinkansen for the following trips :
1) Shinagawa to ShinOsaka on 8 Dec (setting off around 7.30am from Shinagawa)
2) ShinOsaka to Odawara on 11 Dec (setting off around 7.30am from ShinOsaka)
3) Gotemba to Shinagawa on 13 Dec (setting off around 4pm from Gotemba).

May I know will it be tough to get to the station during those hours with luggage?

Hope to get some advice.
by Niebrown  

My personal experience 2010/11/3 14:22
This is my personal experience and if anybody disagrees, please feel free to correct me. I'm just trying to provide decent help.

Shinkansen are also crowded during the morning rush especially with many businessmen going down to Osaka for the day. That being said, if you're able to reserve a seat, it shouldn't be much of an issue. How big is your luggage? That is the main question as you may have to battle it out for extremely limited luggage space. Best would be for you to have a duffel bag that can be stashed on the overhead area.

#2 shouldn't be much of a problem since I imagine that you'll ride on Hikari or Kodama.

#3 I'm a bit more unsure since you'll ride from Shizuoka or Mishima stations. I imagine that when you change trains at those stations, you may hit peak time. That being said though, with a reservation, it shouldn't be much of an issue.
by Psycho Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Luggage Forwarding Service 2010/11/3 18:16
I can't comment on the "rush hour" situation on the shinkansen, because we are always there over xmas/new years: The only time of year that lacks a rush hour, but has a few holiday traveling days that are packed!

One thing I would suggest, if you are going from point a to point b and then staying a few nights, is to use a luggage forwarding service.

You can forward your luggage from the airport to your hotel (there are counters at the airports), or from one hotel to the next (your concierge or front desk staff can arrange it).

Luggage forwarding is unique to Japan, as it costs maybe $15 for a big bag, and the bag will generally arrive 24 hours after you send it, maybe 48 hours outside big cities and going long distances.

We never travel on shinkansen with anything but hand luggage with a change of shirt and undies and the essential toiletries, and forward our larger luggage.

It saves the hassle and worry of dealing with your large luggage.

Usually, if we send it on the day before we leave the previous place, it is waiting in our hotel room for us when we get there, usually neatly shrink-wrapped.
by tequilatamm rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/3 19:00
I intend to reserve seats on Shinkansen for the following trips :
1) Shinagawa to ShinOsaka on 8 Dec (setting off around 7.30am from Shinagawa)
2) ShinOsaka to Odawara on 11 Dec (setting off around 7.30am from ShinOsaka)
3) Gotemba to Shinagawa on 13 Dec (setting off around 4pm from Gotemba).

1) Yes, make reservation for this train, Hikari 503 at 07.40, arriving Shin Osaka at 10.30.

2) I believe you said in another post that you are using the JR rail Pass, which means you can only use Hikari or Kodoma Shinkansen and this will restrict the times you can travel. Your only option at that time of day is going to be the Hikari 462 at 08.13, arriving at Odawara at 10.34. The only earlier options are at 06.27 with a change of train on route and arriving at 09.36.

3) If you are aiming to get to Shinagawa via Shinkasen you will probably be taking the Kodoma, and there is really no need for a reservation as , even at peak times, Kodoma tend not to get very busy. At 15.55 there is a Limited Express Asagiri direct Gotemba to Sinjuku and then JR Yamanote line to Shinagawa. This would be the least amount of changes but takes about 15 minutes longer. If you choose this option them make a reservation to Shinjuku. You could also go via Kozu at 16.13 with just one change.

May I know will it be tough to get to the station during those hours with luggage?

Get to the station from where? I believe you have previously said you are staying near Shinagawa station, so that is just a matter of walking from your hotel. I can't give you an answer for 2 and 3 without knowing where you are coming from.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Great advice 2010/11/3 20:04
Thanks to all for your great advice!

Is the luggage forwarding service applicable to all hotels? Can I forward to Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay hotel at Disneyland? I've written an email to them but don't really understand their message. So I've sent another email to clarify and waiting for their reply. If they accept my luggage, I'll consider this option.

RobBeer,

Yes, my intention is to reserve your suggestion for (1).

As for (2), I'll be staying near Shinsaibishi station, so if I set off 7.30am, I'll be able to connect Hikari 462 at 08.13. My question is : Will the train from Shinsaibishi gets too crowded that I won't able to get in and hence unable to take my 08.13 train?

For (3), I can take the 16.59 train to Numaza then Atami and connect Hikari 478 at 17.55. Am I right? Alternatively, I am thinking of taking the Romance Car. Do you have the timetable and how much do I have to top up if I've Hakone pass?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

by Niebrown rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/3 21:43
For 2) The subway is likely to be busy, but the subway is going be running at about 3-4 minutes between trains so you could always wait for the next train and be one of the first to board. If you are there at 7.30 am you will have about 15-20 minutes extra time to play with. You will board and exit on the right side of the train, so when you get on, try to stay on that side of the train. The area on the train by the very first doors of the first car (by the driver) is usually a much more open area than other parts of the train, so is a good spot to be if you have luggage.

For 3) 16.59 connections will be Gotemba to Numazu (JR Gotemba line) Numazu to Mishima (JR Tokaido line) Mishima to Shinagawa via Hikari 478. As you are buying your Hakone Free Pass at Odawara it will not be valid for travel to/from Tokyo as it is being purchaced within the free area and it is pointless taking the Odakyu Railways Romancecar if you have a JR rail Pass.

One final thing, if you are travelling with luggage on the Shinkansen and it is too large or heavy to go in the luggage racks above the seats, then just place it behind the last seats of the car you are travelling in. If you plan to do this, ask for seats at the back of the car and try to be one of the first to board by the rear door of your reserved car.

Bravo 2010/11/4 00:04
Hi RobBeer,

Thank you very much for your advice. It definitely helps to ease a lot of inconvenience.

Just curious, are you living in Japan?
by Niebrown rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/4 00:37
No, but I have been many times.

reply to this thread