Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Peak Hour at Tokyo Station 2010/11/13 20:16
I'll be leaving HakoneYumoto around 4-5pm for Maihama station near Disneyland. I'll be hitting the peak hour (around 5.45 to 6.30pm)when I arrive at Tokyo Station. Will the train be so crowded that I won't be able to get in with my luggage?

Any good advice? Thanks
by Niebrown  

... 2010/11/14 08:56
Evening rush hours are usually not as extreme as morning rush hours. I expect it to be rather packed, especially from Shin-Kiba Station, but manageable with luggage. If it gets really crowded, try to stay relatively close to the doors on the right side of the train. These doors will open at Maihama Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

what about morning yamanote line 2010/11/14 15:40
what about morning rush hour about 830am. I am going from hamamatsucho to shinagawa at 830am with kids on the yamanote line. I am afraid if the trains are packed , my kids will get seperated, will that train be packed?
by visiot (guest) rate this post as useful

Defining "busy" 2010/11/15 00:47
I think everyone's definition of "busy" is a bit different, specially when it comes to a person who's not used to Tokyo's rush hour.

I was on a JR train around 6-6:30pm on a regular business day and it was busy enough for me to feel dizzy and nearly pass out. I have no problem with crowds whatsoever, (like I love Christmas shopping in a pack full of shopping malls.) So this was a huge surprise for me, and I was actually very disappointed with myself... :-/

There was a bit of pushing and elbowing, no personal space between passengers, and let's face it, evening rush hour smells worse than the freshly scented morning passengers...

I am a native Japanese who's seen Tokyo's mad rush hour a few times in my life, but because I've spent over a decade in Canada, my standard of "busy" has definitely changed.

So, to summarize my comment, yes it is busy for those who rarely experience Tokyo's rush hour, and other passengers may not appreciate a big luggage. But it's "not so bad" for those who's seen the worse in Tokyo.

Hope it helps, :-)

Best Regards
Kako from www.TranslationByKako.com
by www.translationbykako.com (guest) rate this post as useful

rush hour 2010/11/15 05:02
I have been on the Yamanote around 8 am and it was incredibly packed. My ribs were hurting for a while afterward. With children and luggage you should get a taxi.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/15 05:05
It depends on the sections you are riding as well. Many people are commuting INTO Tokyo in the morning. Many people might get on or off at Tokyo Station. The section going from Hamamatsucho to Shinagawa Station (a very short ride) might not be as "busy" as the section from Shibuya to Shinjuku for example.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/11/15 09:19
8:30 am is the peak rush hour. Yamanote trains will be super packed between Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa. It's a short distance but Shinagawa is one of the largest transportation hubs and you'll be packed like sardines in a can. Take a taxi if you don't want to be separated from your kids or worse.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/15 09:24
Are you sure, Tokyonet? I would have expected a lot of people getting out at Hamamatsucho Station (to get to Haneda Airport), opening up some space in the sardine box.

probably not so bad 2010/11/15 13:48
I agree with Uji. I would also expect the Hamamatsucho- Shinagawa leg (only 2 stations as well) to be relatively uncrowded at that time of the day. The real crowds would either be going in the opposite direction (towards Tokyo station), or as Uji said, get off at Hamamatsucho to transfer to a train for Haneda.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/16 08:19
I'm sure. Trust me on this. I take Yamanote often from Tokyo to Shinagawa around 8:30am. It is packed. Sure, many people get off at Hamamatsucho but many get on too.

Reserved Seat on Shinkansen 2010/11/16 13:16
I'll be arriving Narita Airport on 6 Dec 7.30am. Upon arrival, I intend to reserve seats (4 seats) on Hikari 503 leaving Shinagawa to ShinOsaka at 7.40am on 8 Dec, is it still possible to get seats booking just 2 days in advance?

by Niebrown rate this post as useful

.. 2010/11/17 09:30
Shouldn't be a problem at all for Dec 8th departure. it's not a busy time.

opening up space 2010/11/17 09:41
there are usually less sardines in the first and last trains, depending on the station and where the train entrance/exits are. middle ones are always packed...

i always choose first or last when i need to travel rush hours with a baby and stroller.
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/18 08:46
7:40am is definitely a busy time - if not the busiest - for the Tokaido Shinkansen, especially for hikari trains! Depending on the day, two days in advance might not be early enough.

To illustrate my point, I looked up the current reservation status of hikari 503 for the next few days:

Ordinary non-smoking cars:
11/19 (Fri): almost booked out
11/20 (Sat): completely booked out
11/21 (Sun): completely booked out
11/22 (Mon): seats available
11/23 (Tue - holday): seats available
11/24 (Wed): completely booked out
11/25 (Thu): almost booked out
11/26 (Fri): completely booked out

Smoking cars and Green cars are usually a little bit less busy and may still have vacancies.

.. 2010/11/18 09:03
Uji-san,

As you well know, the end of November is a peak season. Everyone is heading to Kyoto on weekends.

Early December is a completely different story. Shinkansen seats will not be booked on the 8th.

... 2010/11/18 11:58
Niebrown travels on a weekday. I strongly doubt that leisure travelers to Kyoto make up a big percentage on the Hikari 503 on weekdays. Most of them would take a nozomi anyway (except the relatively small number of Japan Rail Pass holders).

My impression is that hikari 503 is chronically busy with business travelers during weekdays around the year, and that there is a risk that seats won't be available if you reserve just two days in advance.

I will check again in early December and update this thread.

... 2010/11/19 01:31
But there is no way that I can reserve before my arrival. It'll ruin my plan if i can't get seat. Any alternative? Please help!

... 2010/11/19 08:33
While there is a risk that the particular hikari train (and maybe the one earlier) might be booked out, it is highly unlikely that all Hikari trains in the morning will be booked out.

So, try to make that reservation. If you fail, go for an earlier or later one. If you are not willing to do so, you could travel in the unreserved section of the train, but might not find a vacant seat, i.e. you might have to stand for part of the trip.

Peak hour at Tokyo station 2010/11/23 19:27
Are u using JR pass ? If yes , u arrived @7:30 am , u have to do the exchange document at JR office , I am afraid u are not able to get in by 7:45 am . JR pass can not do the seat reserve before register at office .
by Kenny (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/23 20:31
I'm arriving 7.30am on 6 Dec. My reserved seats is for 7.40am on 8 Dec from Shinagawa to ShinOsaka. I'm making the reservation on 6 Dec after I've exchange my JR voucher for pass at Narita Airport. Hence, it's 2 days in advance. Hopefully, I can get 4 seats.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread