Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko day trip 2010/12/3 00:48
Hi,

I am planning a day trip to Nikko.

From the Tobu website (http://www.tobu.co.jp/foreign/timetable.html), it appears there are two SPACIA trains going to Nikko, the Kegon and Kinu.

Question:
1) I was considering visiting Edomura village first in the morning, then, visit the Toshogu Shrine in the afternoon and then return to Asakusa. Is advisable?
2) Is it possible to squeeze in probably 2 hours at the Tobu World Square?
3) As for the train, is it possible to take Asakusa to Kinugawa_Onsen via the Kinu train and then return from Tobu-Nikko to Asakusa via the Kegon train?
4) I am planning to visit Nikko on 13/12 on the earliest possible train. So, I guess it is advisable to purchase the train ticket and freepasses earlier?
5) Which freepass would be most cost effective?

Thanks for your help.

by FirstTimeTokyoVisitor (guest)  

... 2010/12/3 08:20
I was considering visiting Edomura village first in the morning, then, visit the Toshogu Shrine in the afternoon and then return to Asakusa. Is advisable?

Sounds good to me. Note the direct buses between Edomura and Toshogu:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3879.html

Is it possible to squeeze in probably 2 hours at the Tobu World Square?

If you start your day early, travel quickly and don't see much besides Toshogu in central Nikko, it can be done.

As for the train, is it possible to take Asakusa to Kinugawa_Onsen via the Kinu train and then return from Tobu-Nikko to Asakusa via the Kegon train?

Yes.

I am planning to visit Nikko on 13/12 on the earliest possible train. So, I guess it is advisable to purchase the train ticket and freepasses earlier?

It seems that it is problematic to exchange the voucher to the actual pass in the early morning. Therefore, I recommend to get you pass ready the day before.

By the way, December 13 is probably going to be a rather calm day. So, I don't think you have to worry about the trains being booked out.

Which freepass would be most cost effective?

Unless you are able to get some discounts for the theme parks of Kinugawa in some other way, the Kinugawa Theme Park Pass is probably the best offer, especially if in central Nikko you do not visit any sites besides Toshogu:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/12/4 09:36
Thanks Uji. You have been a great help :-)
by FirstTimeTokyoVisitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Nikko worth a longer stay 2010/12/4 10:24
Even though you havenLt asked that expresivelly, my personal experience from this spring is that Nikko is worth more then a day (I was there 2 days / not succesive ...) of 21 day trip to Japan. I mean there are many more things to see in town = near toshogu, plus I shall mention also the Senjogahara, which was a very nice place to be.

Nevertheless, I wish u to enjoy your stay in Nikko (as there is mentioned in Utsunomiya: Nikko is Nippon ...)
by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

Why don't you go to Toshogu first? 2010/12/4 11:41
Edomura is an amusement park. Toshogu is a world heritage.
It seems to be better to go to Toshogu first(open at 8am) in the morning, then enjoy Edomura in the afternoon.
by Japanboy (guest) rate this post as useful

Small regret ..... 2010/12/4 12:52
Yep, that was one of the mistakes I made for this trip. (the other really stupid mistake was to fly into Narita instead of Haneda !!!)

I thought I was only going to visit the Toshogu shrine until I saw the other sights worth visiting from this awesome site .... but it is too late now.

Anyway, I am sure the whole visit to Tokyo will more than make up for it .....

by FirstTimeTokyoVisitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread