Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trousers inseam, slim fitting sizes? 2010/12/3 13:42
Hi everyone,

I will be going to Japan (including Hokkaido) with my 2 sisters in late December-early Jan. Coming from Singapore, we hardly have any suitable clothing for winter.

Being an Asian woman with stats of 173cm and 53kg (About 5'8''+ and 116lbs using imperial system), I'm worried that finding suitable clothing will be like finding a needle in a haystack. I have been to quite a number of countries in Asia and these were the problems I encountered:
-Trousers are too short
-Sleeves are too short
-When I do find women's clothing that fit my stature, I usually drown in them/trousers fall off me.

I am afraid I will be encountering the same problems in Japan?

I am wondering: What is the standard inseam for women's trousers in Japan? What shops carry long lengths? What brands tend to run slimmer but longer too?

What sizes should I consider in Japan? As most of you seem to be from Western countries, these are my sizing from imported brands: I usually take a size 8 long for UK brands (can also physically fit in size 6 but they generally don't come in long lengths) and a size 2-4 tall for US brands.

Thanks a lot in advance!
by sglass (guest)  

Not much choice 2010/12/3 17:40
Basically Japan is not really the place to clothes shop for any woman over 165cm. I am 175cm tall and pre-pregnancy weighed about the same as you.

For trousers I was (am) restricted to brands like Zara, Benetton (just barely long enough) and recently H&M and that is about it, although you may find that more pricey brands like Theory have something in your size. In the last couple of years even Uniqlo has made some of its trousers long enough for me, which has expanded my options slightly.

A UK size 8 UK equivalent or smaller won't be hard to find at any of the above places.

I have never seen any kind of "long length" trousers option available here apart from very occasionally at Uniqlo- the "model" (tall and large sizes) section in most department stores tends to carry only clothes that are for women who are tall and big-boned/plus size as well- the shoulders and hips tend to be very big, so probably not worth looking there.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you Sira 2010/12/5 02:37
Thank you Sira. Although it's expectedly disappointing, it makes sense. Afterall, less than 20% of Asian women are over 165cm. It sounds like I will be encountering 30'' inseam trousers (which is overly stocked in Singapore too).

I have shopped at all of the places you mentioned except Theory. At least if I can't find anything, it's comforting to know that I have brands to fall back to. I didn't know uniqlo carry long lengths... the last time I tried, jeans that fit my waist were a good amount too short. Guess I will check out the uniqlo in Japan :)
BTW: What size are you in Japan?

I'm thinking of buying skinny jeans that tuck into boots (that way the length isn't important).

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with these set of problems. I feel out of place when everyone around me is complaining that every pair of trousers they try are too long. Even finding modest office appropriate skirts could be challenging as what is slightly above knee length on someone of average height would look almost like a mini skirt on me (exacerbated by the fact that I have long thighs for my height). Not to mention that my feet are 26cm.
by sglass (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread