Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Heating for cities around 35 degree latitude? 2010/12/4 04:57
To better prepare whether to layer or wear a thick jacket, I'm wondering whether the buildings, subway stations in cities lying around 35°N latitude (among them Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya) are heated during the winter?
Is there a cut-off latitude where public places are not heated vs public places requiring heating?

Sorry if this is an odd question. Where I live, the government sets different public heating policies for those living south of 33°N (heater could be off during the winter) and those living north of 33°N (heating required during the winter).

Thanks!
by Yu (guest)  

. 2010/12/4 12:04
No government policy re heating like you describe.

In general, almost everything in Japan, even in the southern part are heated, sometimes way too much.
by tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/12/4 14:46
Don't burn your buns on train seat or miss to get off at your station after falling sleep being so warm & comfortable.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

everywhere heated 2010/12/4 15:35
Everywhere in Japan other than possibly Okinawa is heated in winter, sometimes quite strongly. As amazinga says, train seats (I'm in Tokyo) can be so warm from the heaters under them that it gets quite uncomfortable. Overheating rather than under-heating is the norm, other than in some school gyms, as I recently found out.

The temperature used for heating is usually decided by individual building owners and managers, although the government does suggest something like 22 deg.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

station 2010/12/4 18:24
stations are heated too much. ugh. i wear warm winter clothes outside and im either just the right temperature, or slightly too cold... but then in the stations i feel too hot
by zuoteng rate this post as useful

reply to this thread