Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Difference in price for Yufuin in Spring 2011/1/28 19:39
Hi,
I just need to check if there is supposed to be a big difference in the price and time taken for trains leaving Yufuin, arriving in Hakata during the seasons of Winter and Spring.

When we took the trains in Dec 2010, it cost only Y4,400 and the direct journey took 127 mins. Even the LTD EXP YUFU took 137 mins direct to Hakata. Do these trains cease operation in the Spring?

For May, I cant find any of the above trains anymore. Instead, the Hyperdia website states that the journey from Yufuin to Hakata takes 230 mins costing Y6,800 by the JR Kyudai Line with a transfer at Oita on the Ltd Express Sonic (reserved seat).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards
by lee (guest)  

... 2011/1/29 07:47
No, there will be no difference in price and travel time. There are some minor changes in departure and arrival times from March 12, but they are almost negligible.

Hyperdia does not currently have the updated timetables for beyond March 12 in its database yet.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Noted! 2011/1/29 10:33
Thank you Uji. I had forgotten to check Jorudan because I relied on Hyperdia on the time.

Once again you have been such a wonderful help. If there was a vote for the most helpful person on Japan Guide, you would most certainly be my choice.
God Bless!
by Lee, traveljet (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/29 13:23
The latter route is Yufuin-Oita-Beppu-(along the coast)-Kokura-Hakata. Yufu DX goes Yufuin-Hita(over the mountain)-Kurume-Tosu-Hakata. This route is more scenic.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/29 13:29
Note that Jorudan does not yet have the timetables for after March 12 either. But either website will give accurate routes and fares if you do a search for any date within the next few days. The exact departure and arrival times might differ by a few minutes, though.

noted 2011/1/29 14:32
Thanks ""amazinga but the longer route, though scenic takes 241 mins - way too long. Since we have been to Yufuin on both the Ltd Yufu Express from Kumamoto and back to Hakata on the Yufuin-no-mori and enjoyed the countryside scenery last Dec, we prefer the fastest route back to Hakata this May.

Contrary to reports about sitting right in front for a better view on the Yufuin no mori, we found the front seats on the 1st carriage rather cramped esp on the side because of a steel railing. It was also crowded and noisy.

we preferred carriage No.2 which had wide windows for good views at the side and it was quieter.

But of course, this is personal preference on our part.

Uji, its strange that the Jorudan website showed the 12.02pm Yufuin-no-mori on May 26 Yufuin to Hakata. But the Hyperdia didnt show that route at all.

Similarly the 12.52 pm Yufu No.3 shows up on Jorudan May 18 for part of my route from NishitetsuYanagawa - Yufuin (pass through Kurume). Travel time 155 mins.

But hyperdia doesnt show Yufu No.3 at all. these Yufu trains and Yufuin-no-mori completely disappears for the moment when we search for May but at least it appears on Jorudan. To be safe, I will wait a week or two.

We thoroughly enjoyed quaint little Yufuin and our stay at the Yadoya ryokan with its chartered baths and meals. A cozy little place. This time round, we will add "Resonate Kuju Club" on the itinerary. The great part is there is a pickup from Yufuin to the Kuju club so it makes it convenient.

I have yet to write my review on Yufuin but already posted my on Yanagawa on Tripadvisor. I gave the link on japan-guide under "Yanagawa" forum.
Thanks!

So I will wait for a while to be very sure.
by Traveljet (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/29 15:17
Both Jorudan and Hyperdia may produce wrong results for dates March 12 and later, because they don't have the data for after that date input into their database yet.

Uji, its strange that the Jorudan website showed the 12.02pm Yufuin-no-mori on May 26 Yufuin to Hakata. But the Hyperdia didnt show that route at all.

This train will be running in May 26, departing Yufuin at 12:02.

Similarly the 12.52 pm Yufu No.3 shows up on Jorudan May 18 for part of my route from NishitetsuYanagawa - Yufuin (pass through Kurume). Travel time 155 mins. But hyperdia doesnt show Yufu No.3 at all.

This train, too, will be running. It arrives in Yufuin at 14:41.

but at least it appears on Jorudan. To be safe, I will wait a week or two.

The timetables for the two specific train does not change on March 12. Therefore, they are shown correctly on Jorudan. But note that some other trains along the route will have minor changes to their timings, which will not yet show up in Jorudan.

... 2011/1/29 15:20
By the way, I would not count on either website to be updated with the new timetables within a week or two. Especially Hyperdia has a history of updating its database rather late.

Yufuin trains 2011/1/29 15:26
Thanks Uji. As long as I know the trains havent been phased out, I can plan my routes and accomodation.

Have a nice weekend!
by Traveljet (guest) rate this post as useful

Yufuin Yagoya 2011/1/29 16:42
Yufuin Yawaragi-no-Sato Yadoya is our fav. ryokan and I stay there whenever I visit and take Yawaragi-no-Yu for the sun rise over Yufu Dake mountain while the Japanese garden around the onsen bath is still lit. Very relaxing ready for free bf.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread