Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ueno Zoo reviews 2011/3/1 06:02
I'm visiting Japan at the end of April and I'm currently reading about places to visit. I was initially interested in visiting Ueno zoo, but I have read some unsettling negative reviews. They were mostly comments on poor conditions and cages were too small for the animals. Does anyone have any reviews of Ueno zoo? Thank you! - Ray =^^=
by Ray (guest)  

... 2011/3/1 11:05
It is an old style zoo, like many old style zoos around the world. Compared to some modern zoos it does have some small enclosures. I don't think it is "bad" per se, but certainly some people will not like the space allocated to some of the animals. Of course, some people don't like zoos at all. If you think it will be a problem for you, then don't go I guess.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

It's not so bad at all... 2011/3/1 11:27
compared to Kyoto or Himeji zoos, it's absolutely spacious, and it's a pretty nice walk around in a nice area. You'll struggle to see the pandas but the bear and gorilla enclosures arent a bad size at all from memory. All told I didnt find anything offensive, and that's coming from someone who is quite sensitive to animals being in poor conditions.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

I wouldn't recommend 2011/3/1 13:21
Quite frankly I think Ueno Zoo is poor. Rather than spending loads of dosh getting a couple of Pandas from China they should have spent the money on better conditions and increasing the size of the cages/runs for the existing animals. In my opinion the animals looks pretty miserable.

If you decide to go then don't expect anything fantastic.

by muncher (guest) rate this post as useful

Small but still enjoyable 2011/3/1 16:42
I wrote a bit on the zoo in my blog when I visited there a few years back: http://sophielynette.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/reflection-in-ueno/

Yes, the cages are small, which is a bit unsettling if you're used to large cages, but it also does let you see the animals quite plainly rather than trying to spot them in bushes. When I went it was very crowded with school groups, though, so even then it's sometimes hard to see.

That being said, I highly recommend the surrounding area, so even if you don't go to the zoo still check out the park, especially if it's sakura season.

If you're looking for a nice zoo and willing to go a little out of Tokyo, the Saitama Children's Zoo is very large and spacious and has many exhibits that allow you to actually go into the same enclosure as the animals. They're also home of the famous Capybara Onsen. I have another writeup here: http://sophielynette.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/doko-desu-ka/
by sophielynette rate this post as useful

Ueno 2011/3/1 17:19
The best thing about Ueno zoo is the hordes of small children. Each group of kids and their teachers / moms wear TS of the same coulour. so as you walk around it looks like a rainbow...

Now I don't like children that much.....in fact they truly scare me..
With their big heads and tiny bodies they look like space aliens about to beam me up in a flying saucer...but after a few bunch of kids waved at me shouting "hello American-jin" my heart melted and I spent the rest of the day in Ueno Park (great museums by the way) feeling really cheerful..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/1 21:59
I think it depends on what you are used to. I'm from Australia and the zoos are very spacious and the enclosures try to mimic the animals' natural habitats. I found that Ueno zoo was small, but what made it seem a little bit sad was that some of the enclosures were very different from a natural habitat. Specifically the panda enclosure, the panda sits on a tiled floor. It isn't too bad but it definitely would not be a highlight of a trip to Tokyo.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

thanks 2011/3/1 22:08
Thanks everyone for your replies! I think I will visit the area since I want to see the park too (maybe a few sakura trees will still be blooming).
by Ray (guest) rate this post as useful

kinda nice 2011/3/2 00:27
Some of the conditions could be better, and yes it's a little small, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. They have some interesting animals, they should have a Giant Panda (although he wasn't there at the time when I visited, like 1,5 years ago). Finally, it was one of the few things I enjoyed to do in Ueno Park.
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

Panda in zoo 2011/3/2 10:07
The china panda is dead, it s NO longer there already!!! for a few years
by Jay Hou rate this post as useful

to Jasy Hou 2011/3/2 10:58
I'm afraid your information is a bit old...

A new couple of pandas came to Ueno Zoo last month, and are to be go on public exhibition later this month.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

we really enjoyed it 2011/3/2 14:32
i think Ueno Zoo 's interesting & big IMO.
my Mum enjoyed her time there..we spent about 6-7hrs looking at the exhibits.
was quite worth the ticket though there wasn't any animal shows.
the cable car service was under renovation when i was there in dec though..
by jp_tourist (guest) rate this post as useful

Jasy, is it true? 2011/4/14 20:04
i m going to tokyo next week!!!! really? the couples are coming in? do u have any weblinks to let me show my friends about the new addition?
by Jay Hou rate this post as useful

Better have larger cages, but then... 2011/4/14 21:03
About Ueno zoo being small ... If you come from a country with a large territory, then the Japanese may look miserable in those tiny rooms and trapped in overcrowded trains.

Ueno zoo is an old zoo established in 1882. They are updating the facilities constantly, but I'm sure the new zoos have larger space for the animals. It is always problematic that the humans separate those animals from the nature in order to educate people about natural life (regardless of the cage sizes).
The zoo does not abuse those animals.
Some of the species are already endangered species that need protection from humans. You have a free choice, but please bear in mind that avoiding a visit to Ueno zoo may not do any help.

by Passer-by (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread