Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling to Osaka & Kyoto? 2011/3/14 10:43
My friends and I have made plans to go to Osaka & Kyoto from 28 March - 01 April. We are very inclined to continue with your travel plans.
- Is there any reasons why we should not be travelling as planned?
- Are we being insensitive to Japanese by holidaying in western Japan during this point in time?
- Is the situation at the nuclear power plants going to be an issue for our travels?

Thanks.
by cj81 (guest)  

... 2011/3/14 14:19
- Is there any reasons why we should not be travelling as planned?

There exist various uncertainties now, only 72 hours after the quake. Nobody knows how exactly the situation develops. Having said this, Osaka and Kyoto have been barely affected by the disaster, and this is rather unlikely to change.

I would continue to observe the situation, but generally assume that a trip to Osaka and Kyoto will probably be possible.

Are we being insensitive to Japanese by holidaying in western Japan during this point in time?

No. I believe that the locals generally like to see normal life returning. And most tourism related establishments will be relieved.

Is the situation at the nuclear power plants going to be an issue for our travels?

It currently affects only a very small local area far away from Kyoto and Osaka. But many things are uncertain as of now. The next few days should bring some clarity.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Normal in Osaka and Kyoto 2011/3/14 15:10
I live in Kobe and my husband works in Osaka. Life is basically normal in the Kansai area and kind of surreal that life is going on as normal as if an earthquake didn't occur in Northern/Eastern Japan.

All modes of transportation in Kansai are operating on schedule.
by ScorpioEL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread