Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to phrase this? 2011/4/4 03:22
I was hoping someone could tell me the best way to ask at a hotel/ryokan if it is OK to leave my luggage there before check-in time (I will frequently be arriving early in the day in most cities, long before they will let me check in). I think I could probably fumble my way through it, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me something to say that would be easily understood and save me from making too big a fool out of myself.

Thank you in advance.
by frippscratch  

... 2011/4/4 15:05
- Kyou chekku-in suru (your name) desu ga, nimotsu wo azukatte moraemasu ka.
(This is XXX, who will check in today, can you hold my luggage for me.)

I'm assuming that you are just going to show up and drop off the luggage. (I will come back with another suggestion if you were thinking of writing an e-mail to the hotel in advance to ask if they can do that at all.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks AK 2011/4/4 21:44
That was precisely what I was looking for.

Now I just have to get to where I feel comfortable trying it out. I've been here for a couple of days now and every time I've been in a position to attempt some Japanese that I spent the last couple of years learning, my brain freezes up on me. I'm hoping in the next three weeks that'll improve over time...

No matter how much book learning you do, nothing can prepare you for speaking the language except practice doing it, something I didn't have any way of doing until now.

Thanks again for your help.
by frippscratch rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/4 23:12
frippscratch,

Glad to be of help :) I think I had pretty much the same difficulty (or simply a knot in my... stomach or whatsoever) when I started with the English language years ago... I'm sure once it starts ''flowing,'' it will get easier and easier :) Enjoy your stay!
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread