Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haneda/Narita Airport closer to Tokyo? 2011/6/5 01:45
Hi,
i'm thinking of backpacking in Tokyo.
And the hostel is located in Minamisenju.

Would like to know which is more accessible to the hostel.. Haneda or Narita airport?

So far i've been to Tokyo twice, and both from Narita. this time someone actually told me that it is actually nearer to reach Tokyo from Haneda... (is it true?)

Btw, i come from Singapore.

Thks!
by juzsmilez (guest)  

.. 2011/6/5 14:07
Yeah, Haneda is closer from central Tokyo, but Minamisenju is not exactly in central Tokyo. It's more convenient to take the Keisei Line to Narita from Minamisenju.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

so then.. 2011/6/5 15:05
Hi Tokyonet,
Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually asked the hostel owner and he said Haneda is closer to their hostel.... oh well.. probably in terms of distance it's shorter than Narita but maybe not so convenient to reach from Haneda..

Ah, also, may i enquire also, my friend's address is 'Kusabana Akiruno City Tokyo'..

I tried to locate the place but was puzzled by the geographical location in Japan.. the nearest train station is it Hamura station?

Do you know exactly where is the place near to? like some big buildings names? i think my friend live in a rural part of Japan.. i wish to look for her but i don't have much information on how to locate her..

thanks..
by juzsmilez rate this post as useful

RE: your trips 2011/6/5 17:58
i wish to look for her but i don't have much information on how to locate her..

I suppose it will be better if your friend come to greet you to her best station (which might be Hamura or Fussa or another), or she and you meet at a place in the middle, such as Mitaka Station and Southern-Terrace Gate of Shnjuku Station (both of JR-East).

the hostel is located in Minamisenju.

There are Minami-senju Stations on three lines: Joban Line (with prolonged goh) of JR-East, Hibiya Line of Tokyo Metro subway, and the line of MIR known as Tsukuba Express Line. They are located near each other.
I recommend your checking in advance how you can reach your hostel from which gate of which Minami-senju Station.

probably in terms of distance it's shorter than Narita but maybe not so convenient to reach from Haneda..

You seem to be right; NRT may be better for your case.

Taking a good combination of trains, from each airport you can get to Minami-senju with one easy transfer.
If you come to HND on a weekday, however, it might be already in morning commutersf rush hours when you get through immigration procedures.
It seems you can choose the timing from a wider range to come to NRT, avoiding mooring and evening rush.

Timetables can be revised, but as to direct flights from Singapore in this June,
planes to HND are to arrive at 05:15, 05:50, 06:00 and 23:05
( http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/flight/searchFlightSchedule )
while planes to NRT are to arrive at 08:00, 08:45 and between 14:15 and 17:30
( http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/travelplan/index.html ).

it is actually nearer to reach Tokyo from Haneda... (is it true?)

Itfs true that HND is closer to urban areas of Tokyo. (Even though NRT is located not in Tokyo Metropolis but in Chiba Prefecture, its official name had been with gNew Tokyoh for many years in the past.)
However, whether HND or NRT is better may depend also on some other conditions.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/5 18:36
Hi juzsmilez, I answered your enquiry about the address in Kusabana but it seems to have been removed (along with your post of the address), maybe because it was a private address.

So I suggest you use this web site:

http://diddlefinger.com

and use the "English Address Search" option to get the location.

I also gave walking route from Fussa station, it is about 2 km to the address, you might want to ask your friend if there is a bus service that will get you nearer.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2011/6/5 18:47
Hi RobBeer,
Ya I briefly saw ur post but didn't manage to read and write down the details..
I guess too that it was kinda private and the mod removed the entire post..

I had wanted to contact my friend but apparently there wasn't any news from her for past 10months. I met her last June and was kinda worried abt her ad I had no news.. This time I'm gg Japan mainly is to look for her.. So that's why I seek help on how to get to her place..

Thanks 2011/6/5 18:52
Hi omotenashi,
Thanks for the guidance!

The hostel that I'm gg to stay in is apparently quite 'out of the place', as in not very centralized in central Tokyo.. That's why I being worried if I will actually lost my way in tokyo..

? 2011/6/5 19:19
Aizuya Inn? If not there, thn good luck! Most of the other places in Minamisenju are pretty dire. It's one of the more lowbrow parts of Tokyo.
by Hat (guest) rate this post as useful

Ah... 2011/6/5 19:57
Ah yes, I'm gg to stay here.. It's ok? I read the comments and mostly it's the locatiob that is inconvenient.. Other than that, the reviews seems good..

Aizuya Inn 2011/6/5 23:08
Aizuya Inn is very nice! Very clean and cheap.
by Hat (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: your hostel and Senju area 2011/6/6 16:24
Have you found this access guide with photos? As long as judged from the website, it sounds the staffs are nice to tourists using English and/or Japanese.
-- How to reach Aizuya inn
http://www.aizuya-inn.com/access2.html
-- Access
http://www.aizuya-inn.com/access.html
(Note that this map is placed with the north down.)

Facilities, buildings or districts with names including gsenjuh are found in at least three city wards of Tokyo.
In Senju area, it may be a case you cannot tell the name of the district or the city ward, but I guess there will be seldom a chance of your losing your way on the railroad as long as you will read directions on signboards correctly.
: Your hotel is located in Taito (with prolonged goh) city ward.
: Minami-senju district is in neighbouring Arakawa city ward, north to Taito.
: Kita-senju is a set of stations north next to Minami-senju but of two more lines, and is located in Adachi city ward. The station building of Kita-senju has ten floors (from B1 to 9) and there are shopping malls like ones in Shinjuku or Ikebukuro or so.

I have no friend or relative in Senju area, but probably most of the residents do not think it's an out-of-the-way place. My impression is git's not urban like Shinjuku or Shibuya, nor is it a shitamachi like Asakusa.h I suppose areas in Tokyo cannot always be judged with one measure.

Power saving in Greater Tokyo 2011/6/6 16:26
By the way, nowadays in and around Tokyo Metropolis, many companies including railroad operators have been making effort to save electric power since the supply capacity dropped down due to the 11 March earthquake.

I recommend your leaving extra items at your hostel and taking enough water with little salt. There are still some rail sections to which special diagrams with reduced trains apply, and still some stations where an escalator or an elevator is suspended in all or some hours of a day. These restrictions may be tighten in the mid of the summer, when power demand rises with many air conditioners used at once.

in my opinion 2011/6/6 18:43
both of them are okay for you however Narita is better i think.
by Shiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks ! 2011/6/6 22:13
Hi omotenashi and others,
Thanks for all the advice and guidance!
Really appreciates alot.

I'm going to travel myself and so I'm abit worried about the country, the place I'm going to stay in.. The ease of transportation in Tokyo.. So all the info provided I greatly appreciated!

I haven't look at the exact way to get to Aizuya inn.. But so far that's the cheapest for a single room.. The usual hostels are for 2 people so I have very limited choices of place to stay in..

By the way.. 2011/6/6 22:17
Hi RobBeer, I managed to see the walking route to my friend's place! Thank you!

However judging by the route, it doesn't seem to take just 25 min.. It seems a very long journey!

Is it really just pure walking? I see there's some okutama highway and shin okutama highway.. Those allow pedestrians to walk on it?

. 2011/6/7 04:11
However judging by the route, it doesn't seem to take just 25 min.. It seems a very long journey!

Sorry, my fault, I originally looked up walking from Hamura station but incorrectly said Fussa staion when the original was deleted. So from Hamura station it gives a walk of 2.1 km and 25 minutes.

Is it really just pure walking? I see there's some okutama highway and shin okutama highway.. Those allow pedestrians to walk on it?

From both stations it is OK to walk. I had a look at the routes on StreetView and there doesn't seem to be any bus stops, so it is either a walk or a taxi.

Change of mind.. 2011/6/15 02:01
Thanks for the help!
I think I'm changing my accommodation from hostel to homestay in Tokyo/Kanagawa area..

One host lives in Yomiurilandmae, and another one should be in Musashi-Kosugi..

In that case, Haneda airport is nearer and more convenient to my hosts?

. 2011/6/15 04:17
Musashi-Kosugi station is actually direct on the N'EX from Narita. As for Yomiurilandmae, this would require at lease two transfers from either airport. Are you aware that neither of these locations are actualy in Tokyo, but are across the Tama river in Kawasaki? It may be expensive and time consuming to go to Tokyo each day.

Hi again 2011/6/15 09:17
Hi RobBeer,
Thanks for ur comments..

Ah, I understand yr concerns.
But actually I'm trying to find a homestay location nearer to hamura station, that's why the suggested places are quite away from central Tokyo.

I'm also actually not going to be visiting much of central Tokyo because I have visited there twice last year. I would like to visit the countryside of Japan more actually..

The 2 places, u mention is across Tama river, are in Kawasaki? Is it hard to go there? And.... Are there any tourist attractions or nice places to see there?

. 2011/6/15 17:32
But actually I'm trying to find a homestay location nearer to hamura station, that's why the suggested places are quite away from central Tokyo.

Musashikosugi and Yomiurilandmae are nowhere near Hamura station, they are about 40 km apart. By train, Musashikosugi is over an hour from Hamura.

The 2 places, u mention is across Tama river, are in Kawasaki?

Yes.

Is it hard to go there?

I would say it is easier to get to Musashikosugi than to Yomiurilandmae.
as it is on a major JR line and is also connected by private railway into the Tokyo subway system.

And.... Are there any tourist attractions or nice places to see there?

Yomiurilandmae has an amusement park Not much country to see in Musashikosugi:

http://www.stippy.com/japan-life/the-suburban-building-boom-in-musashi...

But as I said, these two areas are nowhere near where you want to be.

reply to this thread