Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will taxi drivers ignore us? 2011/7/2 00:00
My dad and I are Canadian, and I'm worried that taxi drivers will purposely not pick us up to avoid the hassle of trying to communicate with us. Should I be worried or is this silly?

Thank you.
by NekoRowan  

... 2011/7/2 09:12
No, I don't think it happens frequently, at all. The only reason why taxi drivers may ignore potential guests is because they know of more profitable income sources elsewhere. But it is rare, too.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/2 13:40
How would they know you're Canadian?
by Walkingfool (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2011/7/2 13:55
You're silly./ Taxi drivers won't avoid you. That's for sure. You need to know the signs for vacant and occupied:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2021.html
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

doors 2011/7/2 17:25
Just a quick tip- in Japan taxi doors are opened automatically by the driver, so don't try to open or close them yourself :P
by J (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/2 17:28
I experienced this in China (Beijing and Shanghai) but I have travelled to Japan 3 times and I have never been refused by a taxi driver.

If you want to take a taxi to your hotel then most hotel websites have directions or the address in Japanese that you can print to make it easier.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

the law 2011/7/3 13:38
Taxi drivers can not refuse your request.

They are working under the rule of taxi transport regulations and the law. The rule says drivers can not refuse customer`s ride. If you see any violations, you can report it to their company or the transportation authority`s office.
by walker (guest) rate this post as useful

axi's 2011/7/3 14:54
I've been to Japan many times and have used Taxi's on all my trips, both from Taxi Ranks and Hailing them on the Street and have never had a problem, I speak virtually no Japanese and don't look the least bit asian,
I wouldn't worry.
by Philip (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread