Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are yukatas worn in autumn? 2011/8/12 22:45
Hi, I'm going on uni exchange to Kyoto in September and I'm hoping to have the opportunity to wear my yukata during the autumn months (I bought it last year in summer). I was wondering though if it's considered weird to wear a yukata outside of summer? Are kimonos prefered during autumn? I just don't know whether it is worth taking if I can't use it...

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
by Requeim  

no problem 2011/8/13 12:53
Requeim,

It is appropriate to wear yukata outdoors during June to September, so no problem. Especially in September, there are a lot of festivals going on in shrines and temples throughout Japan, so get your yukata, geta and uchiwa out!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/8/14 00:36
This is my personal opinion.

It is still hot on September at Kyoto. So you can wear yukata probably at some event.
But we have changeable climate. It depends on temperature and event of the day.
If it is cool unfortunately, to wear yukata may be considered weird. I recommend you to consult host family or friend at the day before.
by tora (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/8/14 09:57
I've never heard of it being considered weird to wear yukata on a cool day in September even if it is in Tohoku, but that's just my opinion as a Japanese middle-age woman.

Very casual way 2011/8/14 22:11
I was wondering though if it's considered weird to wear a yukata outside of summer?

That depends on places and situations, I think. Anyway, wearing a yukata looks a very casual way.

Yukata, which is short for yukatabira, was originally a bathing robe. In Edo Period or later, people began to wear yukatas after bathing and also during walking outdoors when it was hot. Even now yukatas are considered as informal, except when they are worn as uniforms by the staff of Japanese inn, for example.

I suppose you can find it by watching yours that a yukata has no lining, different from formal kimono pieces. In a festival where most of participants and visitors choose unlined clothing like a yukata, a T-shirt and a polo shirt, itfs less likely your yukata would cause a problem, as long as worn properly. On the other hand, passengersf crowding in yukatas in a train could be thought as a bad manner. (I personally seldom mind it, though.)

Your host family would say yes to your wearing a yukata indoors privately. However, in a public place a yukata might be considered not modest if no special reason is given.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

. 2011/8/14 23:49
Yukata is not formal wear. In other words, you shouldn't wear it to a wedding or a job interview. But almost all trains that are coming back from a big fireworks festival are packed with girls in yukata. You can't help it. On weekends, you see a lot of people going out in yukata, too.

.. 2011/8/15 08:02
You can totally wear Yukata going out in Kyoto in September.

"Your host family would say yes to your wearing a yukata indoors privately. However, in a public place a yukata might be considered not modest if no special reason is given."

This sounds like a line from Jidaigeki (a very old story) or Doinaka (a place way far from civilization.) LOL!!
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread