Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any Locker at Ogimachi Bus Station? 2011/9/11 21:11
Hi Guys!
If we take the bus from Takayama to Kanazawa then stop at Ogimachi just to visit the Gassho Zukuri cottages enroute, where can we leave our luggages at Ogimachi? Is Ogimachi nearer to Takayama or Kanazawa? How far to the nearer town? Is it worth the visit or would the Hida Folk Village at Takayama suffice?

Mel
by Melanie Putra  

... 2011/9/11 23:24
Are you sure you will use Ogimachi bus stop? Most buses will use Shirakawago bus stop.

I am asking, because there are coin lockers at Shirakawago bus stop, but I believe there are none at Ogimachi bus stop.

The map at the following page shows the location of the two bus stops:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5951.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. 2011/9/12 19:38
Glad to hear about the coin lockers at Shirakawago Bus Stop... Are there many lockers? Our luggage will be those 18 inches cabin sized trolley bags. Would that fit? Is Ogimachi nearer to Takayama or Kanazawa? How far to the nearer town? Is it worth the visit or would the Hida Folk Village at Takayama suffice?

Another thing - the bus - where is the luggage compartment? Is it at the undrbelly of the bus or we must take the luggage on to the bus?

Mel
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

lockers at Shirakawago 2011/9/13 03:30
I just took the bus from Kanazawa to Shirakawago, used a locker for about 4 hours, then took another bus to Takayama in late July. It was a Friday, so it wasn't super crowded.

There are luggage compartments in the lower part of the bus, so no need to lug your suitcases into the passenger area.

There were a lot of lockers in a room adjacent to the visitor center. There were several HUGE lockers that could hold two or three big suitcases. All were unoccupied when I got there about 10AM. I used a medium sized one which could hold a couple of large carryons.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/13 06:29
In the unlikely case that all lockers are taken, I think you can ask the staff at the tourism desk to keep your bag for a while.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/13 07:56
As the others have mentioned your small suitcase will fit fine at the Shirakawago bus stop assuming availability. Failing that the information desk staff will hold large suitcases (or small) for a flat fee. This seems to be fairly well organised as they have an area behind the counter and issue tags/numbers associated with each suitcase. From memory when we were there last year it was 500 yen per suitcase at the information desk.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

.. 2011/9/13 08:48
Brilliant information! Thanks so much, Guys! Is it worth the visit or would the Hida Folk Village at Takayama suffice? I assume there is no charge to visit Shirakawa-go unless we enter the museum/cottages/take the shuttle up to the lookout point? While to enter the Hida Folk Village at Takayama there is an entrance fee?

... 2011/9/13 09:25
Is it worth the visit or would the Hida Folk Village at Takayama suffice?

Yes I think Shirakawago is worth the visit, especially if you are travelling from Takayama to Kanazawa anyway.

I assume there is no charge to visit Shirakawa-go unless we enter the museum/cottages/take the shuttle up to the lookout point?

That is correct but I would recommend you visit the museum. It was useful to see everything up close and also they had a video there which explained the building process quite well. Also note that to enter the Gassho Zakuri in town you have to pay a small entrance fee. There are a number to choose from but you can probably just pick one of these to look inside if you wish. If I was going to Shirakawago I would go to the museum and inside one house but it is up to you and depends on your budget.

You can walk to the outlook point and back fairly easily if you are reasonably fit.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/13 09:29
I assume the shuttle service to the look out point is both ways? At least we will take the shuttle up...

reply to this thread