Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Atm - how to withdraw? 2011/9/16 20:47
Hi! I've been here for about three weeks now and my money is going low. I would like to withdraw from a Japan Post Bank ATM since there's one right inside our university.

My atm card is in my own currency so it's not in yen. How do I know what exact amount of yen should I enter so that it matches the amount I want to get in my own currency?

In short, how do I know the exchange rate for an ATM machine? Should I ask the people in the post office or is it the same when I search for usd to jpy in google?

Thanks!
by controlalt (guest)  

... 2011/9/17 08:54
How do I know what exact amount of yen should I enter so that it matches the amount I want to get in my own currency?

I don't think it is possible to get the exact amount. But you can at least get an approximate amount by inquiring with your bank about their current yen rates. And don't forget to add your bank's service fees.

In short, how do I know the exchange rate for an ATM machine?

The ATM machine does not care about exchange rates. Your bank will make the conversion.

Should I ask the people in the post office or is it the same when I search for usd to jpy in google?

It is likley lower than the exchange rates found on Google. Your bank is the institution to contact.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Sorry i can't help 2011/9/17 17:28
Sorry body!

I can't help
As i've never use my ATM to withdraw money in foreign country. But if i need to know about it, then i would like to connect my Bank regarding this matter
by jonalexa rate this post as useful

. 2011/9/17 19:54
The rate you get from Google is the exchange rate, not the cash rate. For example, it might tell you $1 (AUD) equals 80 yen, but when buying the yen you're more likely to find it somewhere between 72 and 76. Take a look at bank websites for their selling price.

The ATM should give you your account balance in yen on the receipt, so if in doubt withdraw 10000 yen and see what it says.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Japan Post ATM 2011/9/17 20:00
well your best bet is to check the exchange rate(online),workout how much you want to withdraw (remember to include the fees) before you withdraw your money at ATM. Do you have limit set on your card back home? If won't let you withdraw if the amount is over your limit. If that happened just reduce the amount slightly. Also check with your home bank if the card is activate/good for overseas withdrawal, as my card (debit card/cash card) wasn't and have to call the home bank to activate it.
by gulagz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread