Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

some clarification on suica card 2011/10/13 19:34
hello again!

i am still a little confused regarding the suica card after much reading on this site. basically what i want to know is am i able to use this card in lieu of the icoca card in osaka?

for example, am i able to use the suica card to ride the "osaka city subway midosuji line?"
also, the "hiroshima electric railway no.1"

any help is much appreciated!
by jasmine (guest)  

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/14 14:15
am i able to use this card in lieu of the icoca card in osaka?

No, not until spring 2013. Suica in Osaka is only valid on JR trains and to pay at shops, but it cannot be used on non-JR transportation.

for example, am i able to use the suica card to ride the "osaka city subway midosuji line?"
also, the "hiroshima electric railway no.1"

No, the Osaka subway and Hiroshima trams are not JR. Therefore, they cannot be used with Suica.

From spring 2013, Suica is scheduled to become completely interchangeable with Icoca, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/14 15:20
Thanks so much for that! It was really helpful!

Just one more question, so should i get a Surutto Kansai card for my travelling in Osaka? I'd prefer a prepaid card for less hassle.
by jasmine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/14 15:26
Sorry, one more little query.

So, is the Icoca card only useable on JR trains too? Or is that useable on all train networks in the Kansai region?

What would be the best method of using trains in Osaka and Kyoto then?

Thanks!

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/14 16:40
So, is the Icoca card only useable on JR trains too?

No, Icoca is also useable on non-JR transportation, including Osaka subway and Hiroshima trams.

What would be the best method of using trains in Osaka and Kyoto then?

Icoca is best to use trains and subways in Osaka and Kyoto. The only disadvantage is that it is not valid on Kyoto buses, which are often a convenient option to get around Kyoto.

The advantage of the Surutto Kansai Card is that it is also valid on the Kyoto buses, but it is not valid on JR trains. Nor is it valid outside of the Greater Kyoto/Osaka area, e.g. it is not valid on Hiroshima trams.

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/14 18:29
Thanks again Uji! You've been most helpful!

I guess I'll just stick to the Suica for Tokyo and get an Icoca for Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima.

Best regards

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/14 19:48
What's the difference between a Pasmo card and a Suica card? (I have a Pasmo) Where do I buy a Suica Card?
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/14 19:57
Same place you buy the Pasmo.... ticket vending machines at the stations....
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: some clarification on suica card 2011/10/15 08:30
The differences are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

The main difference is that (until spring 2013), Pasmo cannot be used for transportation outside of the Greater Tokyo area (except JR trains in the Niigata and Sendai areas).

reply to this thread