Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/5 22:52
Hey all,

A key assumption of my trip to Japan is that I could rely on Postal and 7-11 ATMs to get cash from my Plus and Star network US ATM cards

However, I just tried this at 7-11, on my first hour in Japan, and it doesn't seem to work (I tried inserting the card into the machine every possible way just to be sure). However, it does work with Citibank.

Anyone else have this problem before, and have a suggestion for a workaround? If not, I'll have to make a big citibank withdrawal.......

Thanks,

Marc
by MarcH20  

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/6 12:03
At what time in YOUR country are you trying to withdraw money? if it is in the middle of the night in your country your bank may be doing maintenance of the ATM?
do you have the logos of Cirrus, Plus, Maestro on your bank card?
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/6 13:07
I had encountered the same problem and we found out that not all 7/11 ATMs accept foreign bank cards, so your best bet would be to find a post office.
by waidonut (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/6 13:10
You did tell your bank you were going to use the card in Japan, right?

Last trip I went to one PO and it wouldn't take my card - I found another one nearby and had no problem....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/6 13:15
Generally the ones at post offices always work and usually citibank ones. i've also had some trouble with cards in japan but over my several trips there i have found post office atms almost always (with very few exceptions) work.
by claire (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/6 13:53
There is a limit on cash withdrawl from ATM machines. Mine (Wells Fargo) was $300 and if you did not tell your bank before departing, then try to withdraw $500, the ATM will not accept it. Two years later, I increased it to $1000 ATM cash withdraw limit before I left for Japan and cancelled the increase when I got back to USA.

You also had to tell the bank before you leave that you will be making ATM withdraws and credit card transaction outside of USA. You are also limited to the number of withdraws you can make per day.

You can make bank customer service call to the states but you need to know the last deposit and withdraw date/transactions (for Wells Fargo). I had to go online banking and get the info at Narita Airport while I was talking to my bank's customer service.
by Mikey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/7 01:11
My collegues from Michigan, when they come over here, are always checking the locations (whereever they go) of the local post offices and run for money during the day time (their business hours). It's their lesson-learned.
by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/7 04:58
One of my US issued cards has never worked at 7/11, but works everywhere else. Try the post office.

It doesn't matter what time you use the card. ATMs should work 24/7..
by tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/7 07:49
I had problems with the 7/11 machines too but it isn't a concern, just use the post office machines or the ATM in the bigger hotels which I've never had an issue with.

Also I tend to get out and carry more cash in Japan than I do at home to minimise the bank fees at home and because I pay for almost everything in cash when I am there (except hotel and JR pass).
by pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7-11 Won't Take my ATM Card! 2011/11/7 13:42
The hell with 7-Eleven ATM`s. Go to Citibank or the JP Bank ATMs. However I will warn you that JP ATM banks at most JP branches close their ATM machines at 5:30 PM on weekdays, 12PM on Saturdays, and closed on Sundays and holidays. So make sure you go to a separate JP ATM that is open all the time. Particularly in the big cities you will find them. There are some JP ATMs that are open until 7 PM each day and 5PM on weekends and holidays
by Sheldon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread