Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama festival programme 2011/11/17 07:51
I would like to go to the Takayama festival next April but we will be staying in Kyoto so it is quite a long trip. The bullet train to Nagoya then about 2 1/2 hours on the limited express each way but I think it will be worth it to experience this.

My concern is that because it is a long trip we can't stay late enough to see the evening parade or we will miss the last train back.

So can anyone tell me the programme for the day, I believe the floats are out to see during the day, and also that there are puppet shows and a smaller parade with the portable shrine in daytime. Does anyone know the times for these events?

Is there still enough to see to be worth going if you aren't able to stay for the night parade?
by pacifictonz  

Re: Takayama festival programme 2011/11/17 09:02
The night procession of the spring festival starts at 18:30 and I think it lasts until around 21:00.

The last limited express back to Nagoya leaves at 18:45. The last local train connection (which requires a transfer along the way) leaves at 19:50. So, you would have only very limited time to see the night procession.

If you want to see the night procession, it is recommend to stay in Takayama or surroundings (e.g. Furukawa or Gero).

Puppet shows are held at 11:00 and 15:00 on the 14th and at 10:00 and 14:00 on the 15th.

The floats are out the entire daytime from 9:30 to 16:00.

The procession of the portable shrines (mikoshi) leaves the shrine around 13:00 on the 14th and returns to the shrine around 16:00 on the 15th.

The above are the times of last year and unlikely to change for next year.

Rain (and sometimes just the risk of rain), however, can change the entire program. It is a "sensitive festival" in terms of the weather. In that case, the floats remain in their stalls, but the doors are kept open and the puppet shows are held from time to time. The evening procession would be cancelled.

Many people will be able to enjoy the visit even without the evening procession. But for some people it might be too crowded and not exciting enough. I think it depends on the person. By the way, even the evening procession is not very exciting. It is generally not an exciting, but a calm, graceful festival.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama festival programme 2011/11/17 12:42
Uji-san, thank you again for sharing your knowledge and providing this information.

I am a little confused on the procession with the Kami - does it leave the shrine and stay somewhere for the until the next day when it returns or does it move around the town area at different times during those two days?
by pacifictonz rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama festival programme 2011/11/18 06:46
I am a little confused on the procession with the Kami - does it leave the shrine and stay somewhere for the until the next day when it returns or does it move around the town area at different times during those two days?

It is being carried around town (until 4pm on the 14th) and spends the night at the so called otabisho before being carried around town again (from 12:30 on the 15th).

Here is the route for the 14th:
http://www.hida.jp/matsuri/img/14junro.gif

And for the 15th:
http://www.hida.jp/matsuri/img/15junro.gif
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread