Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/24 10:58
In next late April 2012, I plan to visit the Mt.Zao lake creator on the submit. Then visit ski resort (try ski the first time in my life) and close the day with Zao Onsen. Is it possible to complete all in 1 day round trip from Yamagata? I checked the accommodation list in Zao, the price is too high. Is there any cheaper affordable in Yamagata? The link of bus schedule is in Japanese, please help!
by Suwimon Malaiyard (guest)  

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/24 15:58
I don't think it is possible for normal people to access the crater until late April. Buses to near the crater resume operation on April 29. Meanwhile, the ski resort is scheduled to close on March 21, 2012.

Here is the bus timetable for last year (will probably be the same next year):
http://www.yamakobus.co.jp/rosenbus/jikoku/frame/fra_sheet016.html

There is only one round trip per day (the yellow colored one).

ŽRŒ`‰w‘O means Yamagata Station
‘ ‰¤‰·òƒoƒXƒ^[ƒ~ƒiƒ‹ means Zao Onsen Bus Terminal
‘ ‰¤Š “cŽR’¸ means summit of Mt. Katta near the crater
by Uji rate this post as useful

Mt.Zao in April 2012 continue...question? 2011/12/24 16:55
Thank you very much Uji!
So if the bus start to operate,
I can pay 980 Yen and take a bus.
09.30. Yamagata JR station
11.06. Mt.Kakka
I have 2 hours to visit the submit view point and come down. How? And how much? How fast? Is it possible?
13.00 Mt.Katta
14.00 Zao Onsen station
Which it is the same station with ski resort, isn't it?
Then I can stay in both place until last bus. How we move around between ski resort and Onsen? Do they provide loop bus? Or shuttle bus? Or walk?
19.40 Zao Onsen station
20.22 Yamagata station
The price of the return buses are 2 sections. How much for each of them?
Thanks again!
by Suwimon Malaiyard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/24 21:56
I have 2 hours to visit the submit view point and come down. How? And how much? How fast? Is it possible?

It is only a few steps from the bus stop to the place from where you can see the crater. In short walks you can reach other observation points with even better views of the crater. There is also a tourist cafeteria and shop. If you like hiking, two hours are just about enough to hike to the highest peak of Zao and back (with nice views of the crater along the way), although the hike might not be easily possible if there is still snow left.

13.00 Mt.Katta
14.00 Zao Onsen station
Which it is the same station with ski resort, isn't it?

The bus stops at the Zao bus terminal and the two main ropeway stations in the town.

How we move around between ski resort and Onsen?

The ski resort starts just above the town. But the skiing season will be over.

The price of the return buses are 2 sections. How much for each of them?

1990 yen from Yamagata to Katta Sumit
1430 yen from Katta Summit to Zao
980 yen between Yamagata and Zao

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/24 21:56
Check that the bus timetable will be still the same next spring.

Why I can't try any ski? 2011/12/25 02:16
"The skii season is over"!!!
I can't reach the Mt.Zao submit because the bus isn't operate, yet. Then when it operates, I can't ski there!
Did I mis-understand anything? Sorry, please clear me out!
by Suwimon Malaiyard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/25 17:09
The bus between Yamagata and Zao Onsen runs around the year. But the bus to Mount Katta and the crater does not run during winter. The ski resort is located in Zao Onsen.

Basically: the crater cannot be seen during the skiing season.

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/25 21:59
U can reach the creator if U stay in a pention on ZAOh-BoDaira and ask the owner to let U have cross-country ski.

Just like I did.
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/25 22:24
36madcooky!
Your experince sound interesting. Please explain more detail.
"U can reach the creator if U stay in a pention on ZAOh-BoDaira and ask the owner to let U have cross-country ski."
by Suwimon Malaiyard rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/26 10:03
I can't reach the Mt.Zao submit because the bus isn't operate, yet. Then when it operates, I can't ski there!

As Uji explained, they are essentially activities for different seasons.

Keep in mind, however, that the March 21 date is the end of the regular season at Zao. The resort will stay open for several weeks longer for spring skiing, but whether or not they are still open when the bus to the crater starts running depends on the snow conditions. Based on previous seasons I would guess that it is possible but unlikely that you could do both in a single trip.

Your experince sound interesting. Please explain more detail.
"U can reach the creator if U stay in a pention on ZAOh-BoDaira and ask the owner to let U have cross-country ski."

You mention that you would like to take ski lessons, so I'm assuming you do not know how to cross-country ski. If that's the case then you shouldn't attempt to ski to the crater unless you join some kind of guided tour.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/26 16:28
Thank you very much for everyone. I'm really appreciated your comments. I come from Thailand and I have not any experience about any snow sports. But my husband is russian who come from Siberia (everyone there know all kinds of snow avtivities). So as I am the one who design our itinerary for next year Cherry Blossom 15 days in Tohoku, I try to find the ski resort that still operate at the end of April. While he is very Buddhist and would like to pilgrim around Dewa Sanzan. So if anyone know about bus starting day to summit of Mount Zao, please update me. Then I will try to mange it in our trip. Thank you again! Happy New Year!

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/26 21:38
One of the pension
http://pension141.com/?cat=18

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/26 21:41
I could not remember the pentions name who has a European teacher of crosscountryski.

But anyway above mentioned pention will answer your question about this years amount of the snow.

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2011/12/27 01:12
Thank you very much. It will be my 1st option if we can make it there because of your recommendation.

Re: Mt.Zao in April 2012 2012/3/17 21:02
As latest info from
http://noguchi-pension.jp/?cat=11

Up to 8th April , one day fee for LIFT only cost 25oo yen per person.

To send message to ski-school,
https://sv17.wadax.ne.jp/~heidi-co-jp/cp-bin/phpformmail/
is available
1 name
2 Ur e-mail
3 title
4 phone number (if any)
5=large space : your message
down left buttun is to summit.

reply to this thread