Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takkyubin & backpacking 2012/1/3 12:03
Hi,

The concept of Takkyubin is a little foreign to me so wanted to check even though the answer might be pretty much what I'm expecting.

I've backpacked a lot around the world, and I've pretty much got used to the idea of carrying round a large rucksack when I travel. We're talking the size of something like a 60L-80L rucksack. Now - do Japanese backpackers really not travel with rucksacks but instead send them by Takkyubin to where it is that they may be going?

In the context of my trip (http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+87462), I'm thinking that given what I've read about travelling in Japan, it may be best to consider using Takkyubin a fair few times instead of carrying a rucksack around. In other words, perhaps go with the following - one big rucksack/suitcase that'll go by Takkyubin, one small roll-on & a small daypack.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
by Mrdini  

Re: Takkyubin & backpacking 2012/1/3 13:33
do Japanese backpackers really not travel with rucksacks but instead send them by Takkyubin to where it is that they may be going?

I have never seen a Japanese traveler with a large rucksack except in the mountains. Japanese people just don't travel like that - at least not inside Japan (except for mountain climbing).

And Japanese low budget travelers will avoid using takkyubin because of the cost. It is almost always possible to transport your luggage for free although it might incur some inconvenience.

In other words, perhaps go with the following - one big rucksack/suitcase that'll go by Takkyubin, one small roll-on & a small daypack.

I think that is a very good idea. Not the cheapest, but often the most comfortable and efficient way of travel.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Takkyubin & backpacking 2012/1/3 21:30
The costs of takuhaibin are often dismissed or not mentioned on this forum, so I was glad to see Uji mention that in fact, takuhaibin costs money! It really adds up if you use it multiple times. For a large backpack or suitcase, it costs about 2000 yen per delivery. For some travelers, this is ''nothing,'' but for others, it becomes a major trade-off.

Also, some people have the notion that nearly all hotels in Japan will be happy to hold your large luggage for practically any length of time. But this is not necessarily true. If a huge backpack shows up a week before its owner, they probably won't turn it away, but in fact it could be a sizable nuisance for a family ryokan or small business hotel.

The solution is to use takuhaibin fairly strategically. At least one of the major nationwide companies (''Kuroneko'' Yamato), allows you to specify a delivery date up to seven days from the date you ship. (This is better than having it sit for days at the hotel, unless you know for sure that the hotel doesn't mind.) So as you plan your itinerary you can consider how many days you want to go without seeing your suitcase. (I always include laundry as part of my strategic plan, and book hotels with a coin laundry accordingly.)

So I agree with Uji that your basic plan is good, but will add that you should think very carefully about the size of the pieces you carry with you. If they are too big of course they become a nuisance, but if they are too small then you have to use takuhaibin too often, plus you will be packing so tightly that you can never buy anything along the way.

I really like expandable luggage so I can buy things as I travel. But I'm still searching for the ideal expandable small roller to use in exactly your situation. None of them seem to have more than a minimal zippered expansion joint. I'd like to be able to roughly double the capacity at will. (Does anyone have any suggestions?)
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takkyubin & backpacking 2012/1/4 18:43
Im Japanese local and travel with 70 litter rucksack so oftenly.

And I know Ur schedule is tight.
Avoid the risk of missing ya belongings due to the delay of deliverly.

Im my town Kyoto, though the rucksacks are not loved by Japanese tourists , they always carry the wheeled suitcase around 90 litters.

And me and others who do also mountaineering sure carry rucksacks.
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread