Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt.Aso during winter time 2012/1/15 22:29
dear japan insiders,

i am planning to visit mt.aso in jan/feb. however, i have therefore some questions which i hope it can be quickly answered.

is it possible to visit mt.aso during jan/feb? is it open then (ropeway)?
is hiking possible during this time and can the volcano be visited?
where can i stay in aso town (JR Aso Station)? I prefer backpackers/hostel style
do you recommend to visit mt.aso during this time?
is it possible to reach aso town from osaka in one day?

thank you for your feedback in advance!

cheers!!
by Ethan Jay  

Re: Mt.Aso during winter time 2012/1/16 08:36
is it possible to visit mt.aso during jan/feb? is it open then (ropeway)?

Yes, unless there is too much poisonous gas, the mountain is accessible at any time of the year.

is hiking possible during this time and can the volcano be visited?

If the weather, snow and gas situation permit, it is possible.

is it possible to reach aso town from osaka in one day?

You can travel from Osaka to Aso in a day, but it is not a feasible daytrip from Osaka, although (thanks to the Kyushu Shinkansen) theoretically possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Aso during winter time 2012/1/17 00:01
thanks for the feedback.

I will travel from Osaka to Mt.Aso. I would like to stay a night there and visit the next day Mt.Aso. Is there any hostel/backpacker there? Would be very helpful for me if you can provide something to me. Or maybe links where I can find hostel/backpacker in Aso town (JR Aso Station). thanks!
by Ethan Jay rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Aso during winter time 2012/1/17 03:58
There's the Aso Youth Hostel which is a couple of km up the mountain (south) from Aso Station.

Info is here:
http://www.aso-yh.ecnet.jp/
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mt.Aso during winter time 2012/1/17 22:44
thanks for the link.

i am still a bit unclear. my plan is to take from osaka the shinkansen/express train to Mt.Aso area. when i arrive there, i guess it would be somehow afternoon. therefore, i would like to stay a night in the area of Mt.Aso respectivly close to JR Aso sation. As i want to visit Mt.Aso the next day. once, i finish the hiking than i would like to go to Kurokawa onsen this is the reason why i want to stay next to the station because of the transportation.

however, it seems that there is almost nothing close by. can somebody advise me where is the best stay when i want to first visti mt.aso and the next day go to kurokawa onsen?

thank you
by Ethan Jay rate this post as useful

reply to this thread