Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Flights and Accomodation Miyakojima Okinawa 2012/1/23 07:45
Few hopefully relatively simple questions.

Want to travel to Miyako from 23rd June to 26th before heading to Osaka.

- Are there any good sites for finding accommodation online, Japanican only turning up 6 results.

- Whats the best way to get flights I believe Haneda airport is the only way to get to to Miyako from Tokyo.

- Where do you purchase Japan Air travel card from couldn't see anything on JAL's website?

- How far in advance can I book tickets, most seem to be 3 months?
by Dean Austin  

Re: Flights and Accomodation Miyakojima Okinawa 2012/1/24 15:21
Dean, we stayed on MiyakoJima last September for 3 nights - it was one of the highlights of our 5weeks stay in Japan! It is beautiful and laid back.

What standard/style of accomodation do you want? We stayed in a Japanese style room (with AC) in a small family run backpackers a short walk from downtown.

I highly recommend prebooking a rental car well before your arrival (cheap on MiyakoJima ~Y3300/day) It's very difficult to travel around without a car as we found out and all the rentals were taken by the time we arrived! You accomodation should be able to pre-book it for you.
(You will need an international driving licence)

We flew Japan TransOcean Air (JTA/JAL) from Haneda-Miyako (~6:45am) then after our stay continued on to Ishigaki Island with Ryukyu Air Commuter (RAC)
If you fly via Okinawa there are more options for flights to MiyakoJima but the inconvenience of the added transfer time.
by Stewy63 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flights and Accomodation Miyakojima Okinawa 2012/1/24 15:36
Japan Air Travel card? Not sure what you mean and never heard of it! (Do you mean Japan mileage bank card perhaps?) If so this is not like a JR Pass.

If you are travelling to Japan with JAL you can purchase the HND-MKO leg for a special rate of Y10,000/leg/person which is what we did.

Re: Flights and Accomodation Miyakojima Okinawa 2012/1/24 17:43
Cool thanks for the extra info on the flights, guess I must have been confusing myself with reading to much info.

Looks like how many flights are there from Haneda to Miyako a day I don't get to Narita till 8am?

I managed to find a nice budget Japanese style room near Hirara port called Nakanoya Ryokan via Bookings.com only Y12,000 for the 3 nights, which seemed fairly reasonable.

Also will defiantly check out hiring a vehicle, might go for a bike or Quad though as just myself travelling.

On a side note can anybody recomend any god places to drink or et out and about in Hirara?
by Dean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flights and Accomodation Miyakojima Okinawa 2012/1/24 18:15
Yeah motorbike or quad bike would be excellent, but definitely pre-book it!

Heaps of bars etc. in downtown Hirara but couldn't recommend any in particular as I was travelling with young family and didn't get to party! Should be very busy at that time of year.

We stayed at 'Hiraraya' a short 5min walk from downtown.

Re: Flights and Accomodation Miyakojima Okinawa 2012/1/24 18:27
SkyMark Airlines have a flight from Narita-Naha at 12:25pm (arriving Naha 3:30pm) for ~$200 then 2 flights to Miyako that you could connect with that day - the 4:25pm or the 7:05pm flights ($77)

Although Skymark is considered a budjet airline their 737 aircraft are quite new. (JTA/JAL 737s to Miyako were very old and run down)

reply to this thread