Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Closing a bank account 2012/2/24 10:09
Hi there!

So, I've been teaching here in Japan for the past year or so, and I'll be going back to the US at the end of March.

The thing is, my parents and significant other are coming, and we're going to travel around the country and whatnot. My contract doesn't technically end until the 31st of March, but I'm using paid time off/nenkyu to return home early.

The last part of my salary won't be deposited into my account until March 25th, which is when I happen to be leaving. I asked if there was any way I could receive it earlier, and I was told no.

So, I'm wondering I could set a prefixed date for the Japanese bank (Shiga Ginko) to send my money home. I.e., go to them and tell them, "Hey, please close my account, convert my money to dollars, and send all of it to X bank account on March 26th," etc.

Any idea if this is feasible or not?
Thanks!
by mikan (guest)  

Re: Closing a bank account 2012/2/24 11:16
Easiest way to do this is give someone (maybe your employer) authority over your account, who can wire the money back to you and close the account. You can get a form for this from the bank - you just need someone you trust who doesn't mind a bit of effort for you.

Also, it may be in your interests to leave it open for a while after you leave to facilitate tidying up your affairs here. You might get some deposit back for your accommodation or you might have contract liabilities like cell 'phone bills. As you have only worked a few months in 2012, you are most likely due some tax back, which would be paid only after you left the country. Also, you may be able to reclaim some of your pension contributions (again also you have to apply after you have left Japan and then apply again to get the tax back on this. All this would have to be paid into a Japanese bank account for ease.
Also, you might not have fully paid your local tax bill for 2012 and there are reports of people being checked for this at the airport on departure so having some money in a Japanese bank account might help cover any costs like this.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Closing a bank account 2012/2/24 11:26
Shiga bank official website says u can withdraw ur money with ur bank card at yucho ATM(handling charge needed). That means u can collect ur cash at kansai airport and exchange into the foreign currency.

Some money might be better than no money.
by k (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread