Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kokedera 2012/2/24 10:14
I saw the application process for Kokedera, so I'm wondering...

What should I write on the postcard? How many people are coming, and what range of dates, I assume? I know very basic Japanese, so I can do that, but I'd like my application to be polite.

My only concern is that my parents and I will only be in Kyoto for about 3 days, so we've got a rather limited window of opportunity. Are the monks at Kokedera accommodating to that sort of schedule?

Thank you!
by mikan (guest)  

Re: Kokedera 2012/2/24 10:38
The required information is listed here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3937.html

They must be processing dozens of applications per day, and I doubt that they will pay much attention to anything but the required data. Here is a sample application letter in Japanese:
http://cocolo-gocolo.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/images/2010/04/14/2.jpg

I would not worry about the availability. They have a lot of capacity, and if you have three possible dates, it is highly unlikely that you will run into problems.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera 2012/2/24 10:45
Thank you so much, Uji!
by mikan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera 2012/2/24 14:09
mikan, I went to Kokedera last October it was a highlight of Kyoto for sure, very few foreigners go there and the number of visitors strictly kept to a minimum.

1/. Just keep your details on the postcard to the minimum required as Uji said.
2/. Make sure you send off your postcard WELL in advance so you'll get your reply before you depart your country! Once I got my reply within 7days of sending my postcard but last year it took about 3 weeks.
3/. Make sure you arrive on time or early! Allow plenty of time to travel there as Kokedera is not well known to many taxi drivers and they may not know how to get there. (my taxi driver had never heard of it and got lost!)
4/. Bear in mind (for your parents) that you will be sitting on the floor for ~50minutes as you listen to the monks chants and write prayers, prior to entering the moss gardens.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera 2012/2/24 14:10
The cost was Y3000/person payable on arrival.

Re: Kokedera 2012/2/24 14:12
Yeah, I had read that description.

My parents are older people and they can't sit on their knees in seiza. Do you think that would be a problem? I know it's not typically expected of many foreigners...

Re: Kokedera 2012/2/24 17:03
Small chairs are provided for (foreign or Japanese) people who have problems kneeling.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kokedera 2012/3/6 12:41
Got my reply!
Thanks for your help!

Re: Kokedera 2012/3/6 13:50
Enjoy! I hope the weather is good. The morning I went it was sunny with many bright beams of light shining down and 'splitting' through the foliage. It was amazing.

Kokedera 2012/3/6 19:10
I visited Kokedera last autumn.
Found it a bit overrated (personal opinion only) and rather expensive.
If u have the time, do visit the Shugakuin Imperial Villa - it is free.
Enjoy.
by TUL (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread