Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima day trip 2012/3/21 00:27
I have the 7-day JR pass, may i know it is faster and better to go to hiroshima by kyoto or osaka?

And is a day trip doable, if i am just going to miyajima and ookuno (rabbit) island?

Dont think i will want to go Peace park, a-bomb dome etc kinda sad to go, reminds me of so many lives lost...

Many thanks.
by guestinjp (guest)  

Re: Hiroshima day trip 2012/3/21 09:37
osaka is closer, by about 20 mins - you pass through shin-osaka coming from kyoto! As you have a JRP catch the first hikari service in the morning, and the last back which will leave plenty of time for a day trip.
by pete (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima day trip 2012/3/21 11:03
Although Osaka is closer on the bullet train (around 20 minutes) it does depend where you are staying in both Osaka and Kyoto, normally in Kyoto I stay quite easy access to the train station which includes the shikensens where in Osaka it is more unusual to be close to Shin-Osaka so you need to add the commute time. Therefore I tend to consider the travel time pretty similar.

Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum are beautifully done, I did find it very emotional and sad in a way but also a time to pay respect for what is a part of history. The park itself is a very serene and peaceful place. The central theme is that we must all remember and through that as a world work together to make sure nothing like it ever happens to anyone again, so in a way has a positive message. That said if you are like me you might want a few tissues in your pocket.
by Pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima day trip 2012/3/21 12:05
Thanks much for your help. I think I will depart from Shin Osaka then. If its doable as a day trip, i dont have to spend a night in hiroshima.

But anyone knows how to navigate between miyajima and ookuno island?

by guestinjp (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima day trip 2012/3/21 21:09
But anyone knows how to navigate between miyajima and ookuno island?

Ookuno island (Ookuno-jima) is about 100 km east of Miyajima. To get there you must take ferry from Tadanoumi near JR Tadanoumi station (7 min walk). The ferry itself is 12 min. Below is the timetable. This is only in Japanese, but it is very simple: Green is Ookuno island while red is Tadanoumi. As you see, there are not so many ferries.

It takes about 2-2.5 hours from JR Miyajimaguchi station to JR Tadanoumi station. Therefore it is very hard schedule to go to both places in one day trip.

It might be better to go Ookuno island first and then Miyajima.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=SHIN-OSAKA&arv_...

You can get 9:30 ferry. And you get 12:13 ferry from Ookuno island and you will arrive at Miyajimaguchi at 14:56.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=TADANOUMI&arv_n...

Well, I think you might better pass Ookuno island...
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Ohkuno and Miyajima 2012/3/22 02:05
Re: Hiroshima day trip

And is a day trip doable, if i am just going to Miyajima and Ookuno (rabbit) island?

It is doable, but it does not sound practical.

frog1954: Below is the timetable. This is only in Japanese, but it is very simple: Green is Ookuno island while red is Tadanoumi.

A link is missing, but presumably this is the mentioned timetable.
- http://www.f00-137.121.168.210.fs-user.net/htdocs/?page_id=22
(Ships arriving to Ohkuno Island are on the right.)

The ferries each have capacity for 250 passengers.
It seems there are also smaller passenger ships available, which have capacity for 100 passengers each.

Timetable for ferries and smaller ships running to and from Ohkuno Island:
- http://www.qkamura.or.jp/ohkuno/access/images/jikokuhyo.pdf
(Ships arriving to Ohkuno Island are on the left.
"F" refers to ferries.
The number in a circle refers to the pier number. )

However, after 12:45, no ship is scheduled to run from Ohkuno Island until 14:13.
So, if you visit Ohkuno Island first, you had better plan to take the 12:13 ferry, not the 12:45 smaller ship, in order to secure enough time for Miyajima Island.

14:56 Miyajimaguchi Station --[walk]--
Miyajimaguchi Pier 15:10 --[ferry]-- 15:20 Miyajima Pier.
Miyajima Pier 20:00 --[ferry]--
20:10 Miyajimaguchi Pier --[walk]--
Miyajimaguchi Station 20:24 --[Local for Itozaki]--
20:52 Hiroshima Station 21:15 --[Shinkansen Sakura 572]--
22:49 Shin-Osaka Station.

If you visit Miyajima Island first, you may have to rely on the last two smaller ships, which is not recommendable.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima day trip 2012/3/22 06:50
Hiroshima is very do'able on a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto. I've done a day trip [Peace Museum, Park, Mazda Factory (not the tour) and Miyajima). Wasn't that rushed and got to enjoy all the above sights. Except we didn't go up the cable car at Miyajima.

I've also done it on an overnight trip and had a wonderful time during Christmas viewing the Christmas lights at night. We stayed in the Toyoko Inn near the train station so it was convenient (close to a trams stop and Hiroshima Station) and cheap. I would highly recommend an overnight trip too. You have time to enjoy the city (eg shop!).
by Obak3 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread