Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

eihei-ji temple monk 2012/3/25 23:42
Is it possible to become a monk at Eihei-ji temple without paying fees?
Can you just go there and enroll voluntary and be put to work and tested?
by kheran (guest)  

Re: eihei-ji temple monk 2012/3/26 10:58
Can I just come to your country and go to a Catholic church and enroll voluntarily to become a priest? The answer is no way, no how.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: eihei-ji temple monk 2012/3/27 06:09
Well,I am living in an orthodox country and there are monasteries that accept apprentices...they test them to see if they can live like monks and if they pass they can stay there.Of course the apprentice must help them at work,repairs...
Also I have found a temple which I see accepts foreigners http://antaiji.dogen-zen.de/eng/index.shtml
by arundar rate this post as useful

Re: eihei-ji temple monk 2012/3/27 07:35
It seems Tokyonet doesn't understand the difference between a monk and a priest.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: eihei-ji temple monk 2012/3/28 01:56
Maybe Tokyonet was thinking at the shinto temples,where priests are in charge and they have a certain degree acquired at the university...

Anyway I would be glad if anyone can tell me about soto zen and rinzai zen temples...my big question is:Would they let me stay for some months and if i am capable,they will ordain me for free?
Or i must make a donation,or pay some fees?
by arundar rate this post as useful

Re: eihei-ji temple monk 2012/3/28 03:51
I was a monk at Eiheiji in the 60's. Requirements are quite strict. You must be a member of a Soto temple, a formal student of the temple priest and have their recommendation. A set of precedent requirements must be met, and a donation for your upkeep is necessary. Be forewarned you are entering into a VERY demanding life and foreign culture. Being able to speak and read Japanese is recommended. Life at a Soto Zen institution is not at all as those unaquainted with Japanese Zen picture it.
by Unsui (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread