Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2012/4/28 02:48
Hello,
Can I pay the fare for Hiroshima streetcar by Suica card?
Thank you for your reply.
Peter
by Peter (guest)  

... 2012/4/28 08:30
No, you cannot.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2012/4/28 09:16
One ride fare is 150yen(fixed) within the city.
Put the coins in the box when getting off.

http://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/s-howtoride.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2012/4/28 09:25
It does say on that page that you can use ICOCA cards... so I think the OP's question is a reasonable one, as SUICA can cover some ICOCA fares.

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2012/4/28 09:32
but still SUICA(from JR East) doesn't work for streetcar in Hiroshima. ICOCA(from JR West) does, though.

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2012/4/28 11:29
It appears that this is because Hiroshima streetcars actually use PASPY, a local contactless card system. PASPY has an agreement with JR West to accept ICOCA, but not with JR East (Suica).

It's sometimes confusing because JR West and JR East also have a similar agreement, but you can't daisy-chain these agreements together.
by poutine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2012/4/28 12:24
Yes, it s pretty confusing - I'm planning my first trip to Japan right now and getting the transport stuff squared in my head is my first priority :)

As best I can figure it, outside of Tokyo area, the SUICA seems to be mostly (only?) accepted on JR services, wherever they may be. If the transport in question is NOT provided by JR, then... no dice. Is that an accurate assumption?
by UKTraveller (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/4/28 13:06
As best I can figure it, outside of Tokyo area, the SUICA seems to be mostly (only?) accepted on JR services, wherever they may be. If the transport in question is NOT provided by JR, then... no dice. Is that an accurate assumption?

It is covered on this page:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

Note that after Spring 2013, Suica is scheduled to become interchangeable with ICOCA.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2012/4/29 08:11
As best I can figure it, outside of Tokyo area, the SUICA seems to be mostly (only?) accepted on JR services, wherever they may be. If the transport in question is NOT provided by JR, then... no dice.

Yes, that is until spring 2013. Afterwards, Suica will also become valid on non-JR trains and buses in the Greater Osaka and Greater Nagoya areas. It is already now valid on non-JR trains and buses in Greater Fukuoka. And in 2014, it also scheduled to become accepted on non-JR transportation in Greater Sapporo.

However, Paspy is not scheduled to join the big network in 2013. I am not sure whether Suica will become valid on Hiroshima streetcars from spring 2013.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2013/11/11 20:09
Just got on the Hiroshima streetcar and Suica/ Pasmo still not taken.
by Grant (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica card for Hiroshima streetcar 2013/11/12 08:04
Only Paspy and Icoca are valid on Hiroshima trams:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread