Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/4/29 08:43
I've seen this in another thread:we have Suica cards which we use on Tokyo's subways

Afterwards, Suica will also become valid on non-JR trains and buses in the Greater Osaka and Greater Nagoya

Non JR Trains:in Osaka: ie subways? Not just Nankai/Kintetsu etc ?How would that work to Koyasan?

And recharging: how does/will that happen in Osaka? or anywhere else for that matter..same as in Tokyo at JR stations?

In Nagoya: Meitetsu?
This will be great for us! Family live on Meitetsu!

We use Kansai prepaid cards in Osaka/Kyoto, so I can see us keeping that for Kyoto only and using our more highly loaded Suica cards from Tokyo everywhere else..wonderful!

Many thanks!
by fmj  

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/4/29 10:09
Non JR Trains:in Osaka: ie subways? Not just Nankai/Kintetsu etc ?How would that work to Koyasan?

All the trains and buses that accept Icoca/PiTaPa, including subways in Osaka and Kyoto, Hankyu, Hanshin, Kintetsu, Nankai, Keihan, Randen and buses in Osaka and Nara. Kyoto City Buses are not yet equipped with IC card readers, but I think it is just a matter of time that they will.

You will be able to use Suica all the way to Koyasan, including the cablecar. But I don't think that the buses on Koyasan are equipped with IC card readers.

Here is a map showing non-JR lines in the Kansai Region that will be covered:
http://www.pitapa.com/img/area/pitapa_area.pdf

And recharging: how does/will that happen in Osaka?

YOu will be able to recharge Suica anywhere where Icoca can be recharged, which is at ticket machines at JR and non-JR stations.

In Nagoya: Meitetsu?
This will be great for us! Family live on Meitetsu!

Suica will become valid on Meitetsu and the Nagoya Subway as well as Meitetsu buses.

The exact date has not been announced yet.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/5/2 15:49
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging this Uji: many thanks once again: this will be a fantastic service: well done Japan: I wish Australian transport officials could be so likeminded.
Thanks again, Uji, for your knowledge, as always.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/9/15 14:10
Just a further check on the timing of this: is there any more news, or an English site I can access about it?
Is there intent to extend this to Subways etc in Sendai, by any chance?
Understand re buses in Kyoto and Koyasan, due to card readers.
Just trying to streamline travel needs: JR Pass and loaded up Suica for everything else would be wonderfully easy.
Thanks

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/9/15 14:21
There have not been any new news releases regarding this matter. The exact date has still not been decided.

Is there intent to extend this to Subways etc in Sendai, by any chance?

As you know, Suica and compatible cards are valid on JR trains in the Greater Sendai region.

The subway and buses, which are operated by the city, do not currently have an IC card system, but it is planned to introduce an IC card on the current subway line in the second half of 2014 and then with the opening of the new subway line on all subway lines and city buses in fiscal 2015 (i.e. by spring 2016). I would assume that this new IC card could also eventually become compatible with all the other IC cards.

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/9/15 14:27
Thanks Uji! I so appreciate your input!

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/10 18:15
The exact date has been announced today.

It's MARCH 23, 2013.
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/10 18:24
Thanks cc: so can you conform EXACTLY what this now means??
Thanks again

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/10 19:41
That's great news. So that means when I go to Japan in April I can use my Suica card while in Osaka and Kyoto without buying ICOCA. What's the validity in Nara and Kobe?
by D (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/10 21:03
cc: so can you conform EXACTLY what this now means??

It means that from March 23 onwards wherever you used to use one of the IC Cards you will be able to use any of the other ones.

So you will be able to use ICOCA in Tokyo on the Subways, Suica in Kansai on the Subways. Kitaca in Tokyo on the Subways, ICOCA in Fukuoka instead of Sugoca etc. etc.

Basically means you can just put your money on one card and use it anywhere else, instead of having to keep multiple cards. You probably have Suica and ICOCA I guess fmj? This removes the need to carry both.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/10 21:06
So Suica will work on the Icoca network but does this also work the other way around?
I am planning to start my next vacation (autumn 2013) in Osaka and I was wondering if I can get an Icoca and use it when I go to Kyoto, Tokyo and Sendai.

Else I guess I'd have to switch to an Suica in Tokyo
by Mai (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/10 21:10
So that means when I go to Japan in April I can use my Suica card while in Osaka and Kyoto without buying ICOCA.

Yes.

What's the validity in Nara and Kobe?

Good. Wherever you can use ICOCA you will be able to use Suica.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/11 05:38
Thanks GC3. We have Suica and usually get prepaid Kansai cards in Osaka/Kyoto.
Was wondering if the buses in Kyoto have been fitted with the technology.
This is such a bonus: can you imagine being able to use the one card in Melbourne AND Sydney AND Brisbane etc......well done Japan transport authorities. !!!!

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/11 08:03
I am planning to start my next vacation (autumn 2013) in Osaka and I was wondering if I can get an Icoca and use it when I go to Kyoto, Tokyo and Sendai.

You cannot use it to travel between the Kansai Region (around Kyoto and Osaka) and the Kanto Region (around Tokyo), nor for travel between Tokyo and Sendai, but inside the urban centers, Icoca will be valid on everything that Suica is valid on. It will become possible to use Icoca on all trains and buses in Greater Tokyo and on JR trains in Sendai. As for the subway and buses in Sendai, they do not currently have an IC card system yet.

Else I guess I'd have to switch to an Suica in Tokyo

That won't be necessary anymore.

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/11 08:04
Was wondering if the buses in Kyoto have been fitted with the technology.

Not yet. But they seem to be working on it. I don't think a specific date has been mentioned yet.

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/11 09:32
Present. SUICA card is accepted only by JR in Osaka/Kyoto, but not by subway and private railways there.

From Mar 23. SUICA card will be accepted by any railway and Bus companies where ICOCA is accepted now.

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/11 11:27
Thanks Uji and cc

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/12 18:18
Wherever you can use ICOCA you will be able to use Suica.

Unfortunately this does not seem quite true. Buses in Nara, and trams and buses in Hiroshima, Okayama and Himeji seem not to accept Suica even after March 23, 2013 despite the fact that they accept Icoca.

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/12 19:25
Really? So ICOCA will be more convenient than SUICA in terms of coverage?

Re: Suica Cards after Spring 2013 2012/12/13 08:26
Yes, according to my understanding, Icoca will become the most widely accepted IC card in Japan after March 23.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread