Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/15 01:11
I've read this. We 're planning our visit to the Tokyo area for the end of next month, and we're not sure about Nikko, because we think we're going to find renovation works in Toshogu, Rinno-ji and Taiyuin.
by alaxina  

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/22 00:08
Toshogu has a great project of renovation, which lasts till 2024, the first 6-year-sesstion with 6 structures is till March 2013.
However, it does not mean Toshogu is closed.
It is according to http://www.toshogu.jp/heisei/index.html

Rinno-ji has a long term project, too, it is renovation of the principal Buddha, which lasts till 2020.
However, visitors still can see the Buddha with a specially constructed platform.
Generally, in side of Taiyuin is closed, visitors can go up to Koukamon(one of the gates)it was opened especially some years ago though.

It is accroding to
http://www.rinnoji.or.jp/
by meiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/23 18:11
So that means that we are going to find Rinnoji completly covered by scafoldings, and some minor buildings in Toshogu temple.
But the rest (Taiyuin, Futarasan and the main buildings in Toshogu) are still worth the visit ?
by alaxina rate this post as useful

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/24 09:03
I have not heard of any construction going on at Taiyuinbyo, and it seems nobody else on the forum can confirm any constructions going on there. I think it is unlikely because some major constructions were only just finished there a few years ago. But I am not 100% sure.

Yes, Rinnoji is completely covered up and is getting dismantled and put together over the next decade, which I personally find a fascinating process. It is possible to enter a special observation deck and observe the construction works. Tourists can also still see enter the temple and see the three main statues of Rinnoji, but the surrounding might not be quite as serene as it was before the start of the construction work - to put it mildly.

The current renovation works in Toshogu are close to negligible in my personal opinion (and almost completed), but I have seen other people in this forum with differing opinions. However, from next year, the central Yomeimon Gate is scheduled to be renovated. This can be expected to have a considerably larger impact on a visit that the current renovation works.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/24 13:44
I've been to Daiyuin ‘å—Q‰@ during this golden week and I don't see any renovations/constructions going on.

I hope it helps.
by daniel25 rate this post as useful

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/24 23:36
And what about Futarasan?
by alaxina rate this post as useful

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/25 03:28
It is really up to you which you trust, but what I wrote previous day is not a lie, because I am local people.
Official HP definitely mentions about construction works, but it is still worth to see.

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/25 04:15
Please let me add something.

Taiyuin is a place, that permanently closed for general visitors, none of as can see Taiyuin itself, we can accsess only the gates, as I said before.
Therefor, nobody can say that
'I could not see any construction works at Taiyuin'.

For the other places, even if you did not confirm construction works, could it be a proof that there are not construction works?
Since Toshogu and Rinnoji premises are not small, most visitors, especially foreigners do not see everythig, they can easily miss construction works, or just some visitors visit there on non-construction day/period.

I was born and grew up in Nikko area, what I write is not my opinion, all based on local information and my recent experience, and I am trying to answer up-to-date information as I welcome all visitors.
At least what I wrote a couple of days ago was baced on official HP.
I would advise you to contact local information centere for your question rather than asking at this forum, that non-Japanese, who seems to be unable to understand Japanese and local informarion exist.

Re: Taiyuinbyo in Nikko under renovation works? 2012/5/25 17:26
And what about Futarasan?

Construction works at Furtarasan finished in spring 2011. I don't think that any new ones were started.

Official HP definitely mentions about construction works, but it is still worth to see.

Can you link that page? Taiyuin is part of Rinnoji. Could it be that the construction note refers to the Sanbutsudo rather than the Taiyuin?

Taiyuin is a place, that permanently closed for general visitors

Then we might refer to different places. The Taiyuin - or Iemitsu's Mausoleum - as I understand it, is open to the public. Maybe the source of our different opinions lies in some technicality regarding the name and what it actually and technically refers to. The following is the establishment that I am referring to:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3802.html

In Japanese:
http://www.rinnoji.or.jp/keidai/taiyuin/oku.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread