Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinary in Kyushu 2012/5/30 22:29
Hello,

I want to spend 10 days in Kyushu in late March next year (to see the sakura).

I'd like to know if my itinary is good or not :

Flight France-Nagasaki via Tokyo or Osaka
D1 : Nagasaki - Mount Unzen, night in Shimabare
D2 : Shimabara (Teppo-cho..), night in Shimabara
D3 : Shimabara - Kumamoto via ferry (castle, Suizen-ji garden..), night in Kumamoto
D4 : Kumamoto - Mount Aso (hiking Kome Zuka), night near Mount Aso
D5 : Mount Aso - Takachiho (caves, water falls Manaï no taki...), night in Takachiho
D6 : Takachiho - Kagoshima (Hinking near Sakurajima), night in Kagoshima
D7 & D8 : Yakushima
D9 : Kagoshima - Osaka by plane

I'd like to know if this itinary is ok.

I also want to know if it's better to rent a car for this trip in Kyushu.

Is it possible to go from Kagoshima to Yakushima by ferry with the car ?

Thanks in advance if you answer my questions.
by Tokala (guest)  

Re: Itinary in Kyushu 2012/5/31 08:44
D4 : Kumamoto - Mount Aso (hiking Kome Zuka), night near Mount Aso

It is not allowed to climb Mount Komezuka. You can only view it.

D6 : Takachiho - Kagoshima (Hinking near Sakurajima), night in Kagoshima

I am afraid you are selecting always the wrong mountains for hiking. Sakurajima is closed for hiking, and I can think of a hiking trail nearby. Note that also most of the hiking trails around Kirishima are currently closed due to volcanic activity.

I also want to know if it's better to rent a car for this trip in Kyushu.

A car will save you a lot of time in the Aso and Takachiho area, in particular.

Is it possible to go from Kagoshima to Yakushima by ferry with the car ?

Yes, but it will be slow and very expensive. It is cheaper to rent a separate car on Yakushima.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Itinary in Kyushu 2012/5/31 20:37
Thanks Uji for your answer.

I guess I'll find another hiking path near Aso then.

As you can guess, I kinda love volcanos ;)
But if we can't hike on Sakurajima, I guess we'll just have the view, and we'll find other things to do in Kagoshima.

Thanks for your answer about the car too.

Apart from those details, do you think my itinary is ok in 9 or 10 days ? We won't spend too much time on the road ?
by Tokala (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinary in Kyushu 2012/5/31 20:56
We did a similar trip last Oct. '11

I would definitely recommend a rental car - just so much more flexibility - you can stop when/where you want at many interesting places that you just can't on bus/train!

Although we didn't have the time I would recommend staying at Unzen village if you're passing through - it looked so quaint and interesting with lots of steam etc.

Kurokawa Onsen is a nice little onsen village for an overnight stay but can be pricey$. Also recommend Yufuin but I think it might be a bit off your route.

Takachiho = Stunning (Make sure you eat the 'Nagashi-Somen' at the little noodle shop next to the gorge!)

Kagoshima has many things including a combined day trip to Ibusuki sand 'baths' and Chiran Kamikaze Museum.

Take the car on the ferry Kagoshima-SakuraJima and drive leisurely around the island - very nice.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinary in Kyushu 2012/6/1 08:54
As you can guess, I kinda love volcanos ;)

So do I.

But if we can't hike on Sakurajima, I guess we'll just have the view, and we'll find other things to do in Kagoshima.

"Just the view" of Sakurajima is amazing if the visibility is good. My favorite spot is from around the Kurokami Observation Point, because from there you can actually see - if visibility is good - the Showa Crater, where the frequent eruptions are taking place. (from the other side of the mountain you can see the eruptions, but not the crater.) If you hang around for a couple of hours, you have a high chance to witness one of the minor eruptions that happen multiple times a day. The sight of the ash cloud and the thunder sound are amazing. From a distance of about three kilometers, I believe.

It is too bad that most hiking trails around Kirishima are currently closed. The area has some of the best volcanic landscape in Japan, and would have been a great addition to your itinerary.

Apart from those details, do you think my itinary is ok in 9 or 10 days ? We won't spend too much time on the road ?

It is generally a fast paced itinerary. But if you like that, I think it is doable. The only problem I see is day 6, because travel from Takachiho to Kagoshima is rather time consuming. It won't give you much time for seeing Kagoshima. I personally would add an additional day around there.

Re: Itinary in Kyushu 2012/6/1 08:55
The map on the following page shows the location of the Kurokami Observation Point:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4601.html

Re: Itinary in Kyushu 2012/6/4 16:36
Thanks Stewy63 and Uji for your answers.

I usually don't like a fast paced itinary... That's why I'm asking, as I have trouble seeing if it's a long raod or not.
I gues I'll follow your advice and add a day around Kagoshima.

I'll check your linhk about Kurokami Observation Point right now. Thanks again.

Regarding crossing from Kagoshima to Yakushima with ou without the car, I'll see what's cheaper, maybe we'll rent another car in Yakushima.
by Tokala (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread