Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

First time travel 2012/6/3 13:14
Hello!
Early November I will be travelling to Singapore, Japan & Malaysia for just under a month.
The majority of my stay will be in Japan. I have planned to fly into Osaka, move to Kyoto and have 3-4 nights there (including a day trip to Osaka)
The rest of my trip will be based in Tokyo. Overall I will be in Japan for 11 nights. I want to see the popular temples, castles & gardens in Kyoto (will 3-4 nights be enough without rushing TOO much?)

My main interest will be in the metropolis of Tokyo so I have decided to have 6-7 nights there. I was thinking it would be easiest to get a 7 day JR pass for the first 7 days (as i will be flying out of Tokyo to KUL so I won't need to get back to Osaka) How will i go not having a JR pass for the last few days?

Basically, I am after any advice/ information I can get. It will be my first overseas trip without family/ group. I'm only a 19 y/o student. I've read, and read but thought it wasn't a bad idea to start my own thread.
Flights have been booked but accommodation hasn't yet.
Thanks guys
by benblenner  

... 2012/6/4 09:04
A 7-day JR Pass will not pay off.

You could consider a JR West One Day pass to get you from Kansai Airport to Kyoto on the Haruka Express train:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html

Just buy an individual ticket when you move from Kyoto to Tokyo. Either on the Shinkansen or if you wish to save some money consider using an overnight bus.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

For getting around Kyoto the One Day Bus Pass 500 yen may pay off.

For getting around Tokyo consider purchasing a Suica pre-paid card which is more convenient. In general day passes do not pay off in Tokyo.

What are your exact travel dates in Japan? If late November then Kyoto gets very busy due to Autumn colours so book well in advance for accommodation. You can also consider staying in Osaka and day tripping to Kyoto (500 yen, 25 mins each way).

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2012/6/4 09:07
Suica:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

Also if you want to see a castle then I suggest Hikone Castle which is an easy half-day trip from Kyoto:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7000.html

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 09:46
I recommend 2-3 days in Kyoto and 1 day in Nara (day trip from Kyoto).
by Smithers rate this post as useful

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 12:49
We wanted to get the bullet train (kyoto-tokyo) and I thought that JR pass would help to get from Kansai airport to Kyoto then around Kyoto to see temples/ gardens. Then we would still have it for a few days in Tokyo. Do you think we would need it in Tokyo to get around? Or would it be better/ cheaper to just get one/ two day passes whilst in Tokyo?

We arrive in Osaka on the 12th and depart from Tokyo (Haneda) on the 23rd. We have planned to stay 3-4 nights in Kyoto, one day including a day trip to Osaka. Then the rest in Tokyo travelling around everyday.
How do the bus passes work? Do they loop?
If we got a one way ticket on the Shinkansen (kyoto-tokyo) wouldn't it be more worthwhile getting a 7day JR pass? Rather than a one way ticket + money for all other transport?

I appreciate all the help and input!
by benblenner rate this post as useful

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 12:54
Do you think we would need it in Tokyo to get around? Or would it be better/ cheaper to just get one/ two day passes whilst in Tokyo?

No, it is generally cheaper to just buy single tickets for travel in Tokyo and Kyoto.

How do the bus passes work?

Kyoto has a bus pass. Its a 1 day card for 500 yen and will get you unlimited travel within the city. You can go further but you'll need to pay a supplement fee.

Do they loop?

Some do, some don't.

If we got a one way ticket on the Shinkansen (kyoto-tokyo) wouldn't it be more worthwhile getting a 7day JR pass? Rather than a one way ticket + money for all other transport?

No, a 7 day JR pass plus local transport around tokyo/kyoto/osaka doesn't usually pay off. You will probably be better off buying single tickets.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 12:56
one more thing, you may want to consider the 1 day JR west pass for your first day since it is the same cost as the Haruka Limited Express.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 13:07
Can we purchase JR West 1 day passes at Kansai Airport?
If not, I can just get one online like it says.. Will that be direct to Osaka or stop at each station on the way?

... 2012/6/4 13:07
We wanted to get the bullet train (kyoto-tokyo) and I thought that JR pass would help to get from Kansai airport to Kyoto then around Kyoto to see temples/ gardens.

It is 2000 yen for a JR West One Day Pass from Kansai Airport to Kyoto on the Haruka. This is the same train you would use with a 7-day JR Pass. The JR Pass is basically useless for moving around Kyoto. A bus pass is 500 yen per day.

A ticket on the Nozomi Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo is roughly 13,320 including seat reservation.

A 7-day JR Pass is 28,300. So you would have to spend 12,900 yen just moving around Tokyo which is basically impossible. Even if you move around Tokyo a lot you would be flat out spending 1,000 yen per day.

Basically, save the money and enjoy the Nozomi Shinkansen, which is quicker than the Hikari that you are restricted to on the JR Pass.

Then we would still have it for a few days in Tokyo. Do you think we would need it in Tokyo to get around? Or would it be better/ cheaper to just get one/ two day passes whilst in Tokyo?

No. As already mentioned just purchase a Suica and use it. In general the day passes for Tokyo are not good value and not that useful.

Tokyo travel:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

Note: "A whole variety of day passes is available for the Tokyo area, however, most of them are overpriced or not very practical because they do not cover all of Tokyo's train and subway lines. Consequently, single tickets or prepaid cards usually come cheaper, especially if you plan your city sightseeing in a geographically wise way."

We arrive in Osaka on the 12th and depart from Tokyo (Haneda) on the 23rd. We have planned to stay 3-4 nights in Kyoto, one day including a day trip to Osaka. Then the rest in Tokyo travelling around everyday.

Sounds nice.

How do the bus passes work? Do they loop?

No, there is a bus network.
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

No!

... 2012/6/4 13:11
Can we purchase JR West 1 day passes at Kansai Airport?

Yes, but only one per person. That is fine for your itinerary, I just mention it in case someone else reads this and has other plans.

If not, I can just get one online like it says.. Will that be direct to Osaka or stop at each station on the way?

Osaka? Aren't you going to Kyoto? What time do you arrive? Are you going to Kyoto the first day?

The Haruka train does stop at stations within Osaka on the way to Kyoto but you don't need to hop off/transfer to get to Kyoto.

If you only go to Osaka on that first day then there may be cheaper options depending on where your hotel is located in Osaka.

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 13:15
Sorry, my mistake.
We are not staying at Osaka, we will be going straight to Kyoto from Kansai airport (I keep getting names mixed up..)
We arrive in Osaka at 10:35am then will be going to Kyoto to check-in at our hotel.

... 2012/6/4 13:19
We arrive in Osaka on the 12th and depart from Tokyo (Haneda) on the 23rd

This means you will probably be in Kyoto before the peak of the Autumn season. I would still try and book well in advance though.

Also, if you had not booked your plane tickets I would have suggested you travel in the opposite direction to increase the chances of seeing good Autumn Colours in Kyoto. Might be a bit late to change now.

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 13:25
Yes plane tickets are already booked.
How far in advance do you suggest for accommodation?
Will daily bus passes suffice for Kyoto, to get to and from a few like Kinkaku-ji, Ryoan-ji, manga museum & bamboo grove?

... 2012/6/4 13:25
We are not staying at Osaka, we will be going straight to Kyoto from Kansai airport (I keep getting names mixed up..)

No worries!

We arrive in Osaka at 10:35am then will be going to Kyoto to check-in at our hotel.

Cool. JR West One Day Pass sounds like a good option then. Note that you could use it later that day/night to sightsee around Osaka as it will let you travel from Kyoto to Osaka and back for free.

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 13:30
Thanks so much for your help GC3.. Really appreciate it.
Where can the daily bus passes be purchased from?

... 2012/6/4 13:32
How far in advance do you suggest for accommodation?

I'd start booking now although most places only allow bookings up to three months in advance.

Will daily bus passes suffice for Kyoto, to get to and from a few like Kinkaku-ji, Ryoan-ji, manga museum & bamboo grove?

Yes, except if you mean bamboo grove in Arashiyama where the train is usually the best option.
Arashiyama:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 13:36
Is there a diagram of the bus routes somewhere?

... 2012/6/4 13:39
Thanks so much for your help GC3.. Really appreciate it.

No worries mate!

Where can the daily bus passes be purchased from?

At the bus information centre outside Kyoto Station or from the bus drivers or from some hotels.

... 2012/6/4 13:43
There are a couple of useful PDF files for the bus maps at the bottom of the page that I linked earlier. If you buy your pass at the Bus Info Centre then they usually give you a copy of a map as well.

Bus Map down the bottom:-
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

Re: First time travel 2012/6/4 14:00
Awesome! I will pront one out..
Any suggestions on accommodation points in Kyoto? And what is a common site used to book this through?
I have been looking at www.agoda.com

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread