Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

26 days itinerary 2012/6/9 21:23
Hello
I am traveling for japan for the first time for 26 days.
For many years was intersted in Japan but only now have the option to visit it
Here is my plan itinerary. I booked already the flights but not the hotel. I would like to hear yours opinion and suggestain about the plan.

26-Sep Day 1 arrive Osaka morning visiting the city check in to Osaka Hotel
27-Sep Day 2 day trip from Osaka to Nara overnight Osaka.
28-Sep Day 3 travel early morning from Osaka to Hiroshima stop at Okayama visting Hiroshima overnight Hiroshima.
29-Sep Day 4 short trip to Iwakuni and after to Miyajima overnight Miyajima .
30-Sep Day 5 from Miyajima to Hiroshima visting Mazda and traveling to Kobe overnight Kobe.
1-Oct Day 5 from Kobe to Mount Koya overnight Mount Koya .
2-Oct Day 6 Mount Koya traveling to Kyoto overnight Kyoto
3-7 Oct Day 7-10 Kyoto overnight Kyoto
7-Oct Day 11 travel early morning to Takyama overnight Takyama
8-Oct Day 11 day trip from Takyama overnight Takyama what is recommended?
9 -Oct Day 12 day trip from Takyama overnight Takyama what is recommended?
10 -Oct Day 13 travel early morning to Kanazawa overnight Kanazawa
11-Oct Day 14 travel to Hakone overnight Hakone
12 -Oct day 15 Hakone overnight Hakone
13-20 Oct day 16-25 staying at Tokyo with day trips to Tokyo Disneyland , Nikko and Kamakura.
21-Oct Day 26 fly back home.

Thanks
Dan
by Dan (guest)  

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/6/10 12:00
The Mazda Museum is closed on Sundays.

The order of destination around Takayama is not ideal. I recommend the following order for more efficient transportation. It will save you time and maybe money:

Kyoto - Kanazawa - Takayama - Hakone - Tokyo

I recommend to drop by Shirakawago on your way between Kanazawa and Takayama:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5950.html

And for a great onsen experience, I recommend the Okuhida Region, although I recommend to stay overnight at an onsen ryokan for the full experience as opposed to just a daytrip:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5940.html

The rest looks very good to me.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/6/11 06:34

Dear Uji

Thanks for your reply I have some further questions and after reading some comments I modified my plan please advise

27-Sep Day 2 travel early morning from Osaka to Hiroshima stop at Okayama visting Hiroshima overnight Hiroshima.
28-Sep Day 3 visting Mazda after to Miyajima overnight Miyajima .
29-Sep Day 4 from Miyajima to Mount Koya overnight Mount Koya .
30-Sep Day 5 from Mount Koya to Nara overnight Nara.

1) Question Is it too tight - my first 5 days?

2) Question :will it be more interesting to sleep in Osaka (day 5) - I guess that my first night on the 26-Sep I will be very tried and cannot enjoy Osaka night life.

1-4 Oct Day 7-10 Kyoto overnight Kyoto

3) Question what sights in Kyoto I should reserve
4) Question I ask for plan for Kyoto and side trip for 4 days

5-Oct Day 11 travel early morning to Kanazawa overnight Kanazawa

6) Question Is it a nice trip to Noto Peninsula - so I can stay 1 more day in Kanazawa and vist the area? It is not yet in the the modified plan/

6-Oct Day 12 travel to Shirakawago and then to Takyama overnight Takyama
7-Oct Day 13 Takyama overnight Takyama
8-Oct Day 14 travel to Okuhida Region overnight Okuhida Region
9-Oct Day 15 travel to Matsumoto and from there to Nikko overnight Nikko.

7)Question what is the best way to travel this roth?
8) Question Will I have option to see some of Nikko or I will came by the evening?

10-Oct Day 16 Nikko + National park + Mashiko

9) Question Can I do it all in one day?
10) Question May I travel Nikko a beat latter (by the end of my trip) to see the fall (at list some of it....).

11-20 Oct day 17-25 staying at Tokyo with day trips to Tokyo Disneyland Kamakura.

11) Question I Can not decide whether to book for Hakone for 2 days as I understand that it it can be cloudy and i will not see Mount Fuji or to do a day trip from Tokyo but then I cannot enjoy all what this place has to offer?

by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/6/11 08:37
1) Question Is it too tight - my first 5 days?

Preferred travel pace widely differs between different people. I do not consider your first 5 days tight. Fast travelers may even find it slightly slow, while very slow travelers might feel slightly stressed.

2) Question :will it be more interesting to sleep in Osaka (day 5) - I guess that my first night on the 26-Sep I will be very tried and cannot enjoy Osaka night life.

This is a personal question. I would rather want to stay in Nara (so that I don't need to travel anymore after sightseeing) or Kyoto (to reduce moving hotels) on day 5. But if you have a particular interest in Osaka's nightlife, then by all means incorporate a night there.

3) Question what sights in Kyoto I should reserve

Those that look interesting to you. Note that only the imperial sights and the Moss Temple require reservations:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

4) Question I ask for plan for Kyoto and side trip for 4 days

I recommend to do some research on Kyoto's sights and side trips (see link above) and then visit the ones you are interested in. I would not even decided what to see when, but just flexibly visit the sights according to mood and weather.

If you don't want to do research, you could also look into guided tours.

6) Question Is it a nice trip to Noto Peninsula - so I can stay 1 more day in Kanazawa and vist the area?

It is a minor, isolated destination that is difficult to navigate without a rental car. Some people will find it very interesting because it is rural and isolated. But I would not recommend it to a first-time visitor.

7)Question what is the best way to travel this roth?

Kanazawa - (bus) - Takayama - (bus) - Okuhida
- (bus) - Matsumoto

From Matsumoto, there are various options. Most lead via Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6053.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html

But the fastest route leads via Nagano and Omiya. Due to its high cost, I recommend it only to Japan Rail Pass holders or travelers with a large budget.

8) Question Will I have option to see some of Nikko or I will came by the evening?

Even if you select the fastest and most expensive connections, you won't arrive in Nikko until the late afternoon and won't be able to see much.

10-Oct Day 16 Nikko + National park + Mashiko

9) Question Can I do it all in one day?

No, it is too much.

Question May I travel Nikko a beat latter (by the end of my trip) to see the fall (at list some of it....).

By visiting a little later, you increase your chance of colors, and you would get rid of that horrible travel day from Okuhida to Nikko. I think it is worth considering, although in the usual year, around October 10 should already come with some colors. In any case, I recommend to avoid weekends for your visit to Nikko.

11) Question I Can not decide whether to book for Hakone for 2 days as I understand that it it can be cloudy and i will not see Mount Fuji or to do a day trip from Tokyo but then I cannot enjoy all what this place has to offer?

Never count on Mount Fuji from Hakone. Even on fair days you might not see it. I have a success rate of around 15% despite the fact that I often targeted days with good weather.

If the view of the mountain is important to you, you can considerably increase your chances of seeing it by visiting the Fuji Five Lake region instead of Hakone, although even there the mountain is often hidden:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/7/9 04:14
Dear Uji

I have booked my hotel for all my trip and for ( I decided to stay 1 more night in Kyoto) so for Takayam I plan to stay : 7-9-October and on the 9/October morning to move to Okuhida in which I have booked my hotel for 9-10 October .But I found out that there is Autumn Takayama Festival at these days.

So what is your advise to modify a beat my plan . I guess I can not change that much the hotel as they were already very expensive these days.

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/7/9 08:43
If you are not willing or able to make modifications to your hotel reservations, then at least you can enjoy some daytime activities of the festival on the 9th before moving to Okuhida in the late afternoon.

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/7/9 17:02
For my planning: what time during 9/October and 10/October the festival will take place?

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/7/10 03:22
27-Sep Day 2 day trip from Osaka to Nara overnight Osaka.

Osaka can be daunting to navigate for foreigners (personal experience, unfortunately). Just prepare yourself WELL, by bringing proper maps or something.

28-Sep Day 3 travel early morning from Osaka to Hiroshima stop at Okayama visting Hiroshima overnight Hiroshima.
29-Sep Day 4 short trip to Iwakuni and after to Miyajima overnight Miyajima .

You can do a little bit more Hiroshima. It's a great city with lots of things to see and do. It's much, much more than the peace momorial park & museum. Well, at least try the local Okonomiyaki.

Also, you don't have to spend the night at Miyajima, unless you have a specific reason to want that. Miyajima can easily be done as a day trip from Hiroshima (heck, even as a half-day trip, depending on how quick you are at seeing things). If you have a Japan Rail Pass, you can take the JR boat to/from Miyajima any time without reservations or tickets.

30-Sep Day 5 from Miyajima to Hiroshima visting Mazda and traveling to Kobe overnight Kobe.
1-Oct Day 5 from Kobe to Mount Koya overnight Mount Koya .

Oh Koyasan (Japanese say "-san" to a mountain), Koyasan is so nice. Not really that much to see and do, except for the "cemetary" and the philisopher's path, but please find a temple lodging. That's definately worth it. Also, navigating to the village itself can be quite a task in itself. There's not much that can go wrong however, all you need to do is make sure to get the right train, cablecar, and bus, at the right time. Better write down beforehand, which trains, cablecar and busses you need to take. The alternative is to miss one and wait two hours.

2-Oct Day 6 Mount Koya traveling to Kyoto overnight Kyoto
3-7 Oct Day 7-10 Kyoto overnight Kyoto

If you do anything, let it be Arashiyama. My favourite place of Kyoto. But if you've never been there, you need to make to conscious choices, because the city has A LOT to offer. The big sights of Kyoto can be done in two days, and there are still lots and lots of lesser-known places you can go to.

7-Oct Day 11 travel early morning to Takyama overnight Takyama
9 -Oct Day 12 day trip from Takyama overnight Takyama what is recommended?
10 -Oct Day 13 travel early morning to Kanazawa overnight Kanazawa

Sorry, can't help you there. I'll visit Takayama someday too. Probably. I recon it's easy to get to by train.

11-Oct Day 14 travel to Hakone overnight Hakone
12 -Oct day 15 Hakone overnight Hakone

I hope you will have clear weather to be able to see Fujisan in the distance. Also do try the black eggs. Hakone overall is a great place with some beautiful sights to see. But stay away from accomodation that is "impossibly" cheap than the rest (so as to not make too much anti-advertising, I will not name the bad hotel that I chose). Also note, the Hakone Free Pass does not cover all bus routes, so be adviced on which busses you need to take to your accomodation, and if those are covered.

13-20 Oct day 16-25 staying at Tokyo with day trips to Tokyo Disneyland , Nikko and Kamakura.

If you really want to go to Disneyland, please do, but I think you will find afterwards that there may have been other places that are more pure Japanese that you might have found a better idea. Up to you of course - if you love Disney, there's a big Disney store in the Shibuya district as well.

If you like Kamakura and Nikko, you will also like Kawagoe (pronounced as "ka-wa-go-èh"). Parts of Kawagoe are still (probably rebuilt) in Edo-period style, which makes it another way to experience sort-of-authentic Japanese style.

Anyway, Tokyo is another place to make the right choices before you go there. The city is so unbelievably big, you could stay for a month without running out of things to see and do.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: 26 days itinerary 2012/8/8 04:02
I have some questions:
How can I visit Japanese home in Kyoto?.
In case I would like to visit Okayama (only the garden) in my way between Osaka to Hiroshima how much time I should reserve for it?
Will it be interesting to visit Kobe for couple hours by afternoon- evening?

reply to this thread