Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

21+ Days in Japan 2012/6/29 04:54
I'm heading to Japan at the end of September and am currently trying to work out a itinerary. There is no strict time limit as we're heading to South Korea after and haven't booked tickets yet, but we can't afford much more than 24 days.

So far I have:

Day 1-5 - Tokyo (including day trips to Kamakura and Nikko)

Day 6 - Yamanouchi (Is it worth going to Yamanouchi around this time of year? Will monkeys be bathing? How long would you suggest to spend there?)

Day 7-8 - Kanazawa (How long should we stay?)

Day 9 - Takoyama (how long should we stay?)

Day 10 - Takoyama/Kyoto

Day 11-13 Kyoto & Nara trip.

Day 14-15 - Mount Koya

Day 15-16 - Osaka

Day 17 - Kobe (how long?)

Day 18 - Miyajima (how long?)

Day 19 - Hiroshima (same again, how long would you reccommend?)

Day 20 - Nagasaki

Day 21-24 ??? Is there anywhere you can suggest we visit? Obviously along the same kind of route as above.

We will be getting the ferry from Kyushu so don't have to worry about a return journey to Tokyo.

Any help would be much appreciated!
by REH (guest)  

... 2012/6/29 09:39
I'm heading to Japan at the end of September and am currently trying to work out a itinerary. There is no strict time limit as we're heading to South Korea after and haven't booked tickets yet, but we can't afford much more than 24 days.

Overall it looks really nice to me.

Day 1-5 - Tokyo (including day trips to Kamakura and Nikko)

Sounds good.

Day 6 - Yamanouchi (Is it worth going to Yamanouchi around this time of year? Will monkeys be bathing? How long would you suggest to spend there?)

I think overnight is fine or as a day trip, most people would only spend an hour at the snow monkeys. Not sure on how good it will be when you travel, hopefully someone else can answer.

Day 7-8 - Kanazawa (How long should we stay?)

Day 9 - Takoyama (how long should we stay?)

Day 10 - Takoyama/Kyoto

It is probably a little easier to go Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus) - Kanazawa - (train) - Kyoto.

You could consider an overnight in Shirakawago in a traditional farmhouse:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5950.html
Even if you don't stay overnight Shirakawago is worth a visit, 3-4 hours during the day is fine.

Also, if you are coming from Nagano to Takayama you can either go by train via Toyama or you could consider adding Matsumoto (for Matsumoto Castle) onto your itinerary and then take the bus from Matsumoto to Takayama which is much quicker.

Matsumoto:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6050.html

Day 11-13 Kyoto & Nara trip.

Day 14-15 - Mount Koya

Day 15-16 - Osaka

Day 17 - Kobe (how long?)

I would probably drop Kobe and reduce Osaka to one day to increase time in Kyoto, but as always it depends on your interests.

Day 18 - Miyajima (how long?)

Overnight is fine if you can budget for it, alternatively it is a nice day trip from Hiroshima, just check the tide times for your exact day (link at bottom of the page):-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3450.html

Day 19 - Hiroshima (same again, how long would you reccommend?)

I think one day is fine for the Peace Park, Museum and A-dome, plus whatever else you wish to see in Hiroshima. I usually recommend a visit to the Mazda Museum and Factory if you have any interest in cars/manufacturing. English tour starts at 10am and finishes around noon, it is free you just have to book.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3405.html

Day 20 - Nagasaki

Day 21-24 ??? Is there anywhere you can suggest we visit? Obviously along the same kind of route as above.

If you want to stay on Kyushu, then maybe Kumamoto, Mt Aso, Beppu?

We will be getting the ferry from Kyushu so don't have to worry about a return journey to Tokyo.

Not sure if a rail pass will pay off, depends how you use it and what you do at the end. It will probably at least give you flexibility and convenience. Alternatively, there might be some cheaper options with individual tickets and some bus trips.

If you do stay for 24 days and decide on a 21-day JR Pass, then don't activate it until Day 4 when you go to Nikko, so that it is still valid on Day 24.

Which pass (or not) works really depends on your final itinerary. Note that sometimes you can save a bit by condensing the main travel away from Tokyo into 14 days.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2012/6/29 09:42
Also, if you don't go to Matsumoto (and even if you do) then Hikone Castle makes a nice half day trip from Kyoto/Osaka
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7000.html

Also, not sure on your exact dates but the Takayama Festival is on Oct 9-10
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5909.html

Accommodation in Takayama will be hard to come by now I think but you may wish to be aware of it, and/or include it in your timings.

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/6/30 00:50
Wow, thanks GC3! Quite a lot of information there so I will have a look at what you said and comeback with anymore questions.

Thank you again, very helpful.
by REH (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/6/30 02:53
No worries, enjoy your research!

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/5 06:03
I've had a little think and changed the plan slightly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Day 01 – Arrive 9am - Day in Tokyo
Day 02 – Tokyo
Day 03 – Tokyo - Day trip to Kamakura
Day 04 – Tokyo
Day 05 – Tokyo - Day trip to Nikko
Day 06 – Tokyo -Nagano – Yamanouchi

Is it worth staying in Nagano and just visiting Yamanouchi as a day trip? It seems like a lot of traveling just to see monkeys!

Day 07 – Yamanouchi - Matsumoto - Takayama

Possible in one day?

Day 08 – Takayama - Kanazawa
Day 09 – Kanazawa
Day 10 – Kyoto
Day 11 – Kyoto – Day trip to Osaka
Day 12 – Kyoto
Day 13 – Kyoto – Day trip to Nara
Day 14 – Kyoto
Day 15 – Mount Koya
Day 16 – Mount Koya - Hiroshima
Day 17 – Hiroshima
Day 18 – Hiroshima – Day trip to Miyajima
Day 19 – Hiroshima - Nagasaki

Is Miyajima a sensible day trip from Hiroshima or should we just stay there a night on the way from Koyasan?

Day 20 – Nagasaki
Day 21 – Beppu (great idea, thanks)
Day 22 - ?? Fukuoka

I'm still struggling for ideas around Kyushu. I could always add more days around Chubu/Kansai rather than find ways to fill up time in Kyushu. What do you think?

I'm slightly worried about getting busses to destinations, how easy will they be? One reason for getting a rail pass would be simplicity but obviously we would only do it if it was cost effective.

What do you think?

... 2012/7/5 06:39
s it worth staying in Nagano and just visiting Yamanouchi as a day trip? It seems like a lot of traveling just to see monkeys!

Depends how much you like monkeys!

Day 07 – Yamanouchi - Matsumoto - Takayama Possible in one day?

Yes, assuming you leave early and only wish to see Matsumoto Castle on the way.

Day 08 – Takayama - Kanazawa

By bus via Shirakawago?

Day 09 – Kanazawa
Day 10 – Kyoto
Day 11 – Kyoto – Day trip to Osaka
Day 12 – Kyoto
Day 13 – Kyoto – Day trip to Nara
Day 14 – Kyoto
Day 15 – Mount Koya
Day 16 – Mount Koya - Hiroshima
Day 17 – Hiroshima
Day 18 – Hiroshima – Day trip to Miyajima
Day 19 – Hiroshima - Nagasaki

All looks pretty nice to me.

Is Miyajima a sensible day trip from Hiroshima or should we just stay there a night on the way from Koyasan?

It is quick and easy to get to Miyajima from Hiroshima station. A day trip would be fine. Overnight is often recommended if you want to stay in a Ryokan and have the budget for it.

Day 20 – Nagasaki
Day 21 – Beppu (great idea, thanks)
Day 22 - ?? Fukuoka

I'm still struggling for ideas around Kyushu. I could always add more days around Chubu/Kansai rather than find ways to fill up time in Kyushu. What do you think?

I suggested Aso and Kumamoto last time. I would also consider extending your stay on Honshu. Where you go really depends on your interests. Even extending your stay in Kyoto would not be a bad idea as there are many day trips you could do if you don't always wish to spend the day in Kyoto.

I'm slightly worried about getting busses to destinations, how easy will they be?

I think buses between Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa are easy to book and use. I assume Matsumoto - Takayama is just as easy.

One reason for getting a rail pass would be simplicity but obviously we would only do it if it was cost effective.

I think the flexibility helps too. Especially if you decide to be flexible in Kansai or in Kyushu. I would not start one until Day 6 or maybe Day 5.

You can probably get away with a 14 day JR Pass if you activate Day 6, drop one day in Hiroshima, and go Hiroshima to Beppu on Day 18, then Beppu to Nagasaki on Day 19 (Last day of 14-day Pass). You could then spend two days in Nagasaki and catch a bus (2500 yen, 2.5hrs) back to Fukuoka.

What do you think?

It looks pretty good to me overall.

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/6 01:58
By bus via Shirakawago?

Yes, sorry forgot to write that in.

I suggested Aso and Kumamoto last time. I would also consider extending your stay on Honshu. Where you go really depends on your interests. Even extending your stay in Kyoto would not be a bad idea as there are many day trips you could do if you don't always wish to spend the day in Kyoto.

I will do a more detailed plan for my time in Kyoto, should make the end easier.

You can probably get away with a 14 day JR Pass if you activate Day 6, drop one day in Hiroshima, and go Hiroshima to Beppu on Day 18, then Beppu to Nagasaki on Day 19 (Last day of 14-day Pass). You could then spend two days in Nagasaki and catch a bus (2500 yen, 2.5hrs) back to Fukuoka.

That is a good idea. I will look into this.

I really appreciate your help, GC3. This advice is invaluable, thank you!

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/6 02:28
I'm not sure of your timing, but my husband and I are visiting Japan from mid-Sept to mid-Oct and we changed our plans to spend a bunch of time in Matsumoto because there are several festivals in early October. Here is the schedule of events: http://welcome.city.matsumoto.nagano.jp/contents08+index.id+17.htm

If you want to only see the castle and skip the festivals, you might have to plan around them depending on when "day 6" actually is as a couple will be held in the castle gardens.

We are also planning on seeing the monkeys as a 1-night stay in Yudanaka in between festivals in Matsumoto. My husband found a site with a live camera set up at the monkey park which seems to show monkeys there even now, so I think we will be okay to see them in October. http://www.jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/english/top/english.html

Have fun!
by Liane (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 02:47
Thanks, Liane!

I feel like I'm almost finished as the itinerary seems to be coming together.

Day 01 – Arrive 9am - Day in Tokyo
Day 02 – Tokyo
Day 03 – Tokyo - Day at Kamakura
Day 04 – Tokyo
Day 05 – Tokyo - Day at Nikko
Day 06Tokyo – Yamanouchi
Day 07Yamanouchi - Matsumoto - Takayama
Day 08 – Takayama
Day 09Takayama - Kanazawa
Day 10 – Kanazawa
Day 11Kanazawa - Kyoto
Day 12 – Kyoto - Day at Osaka
Day 13 – Kyoto
Day 14 – Kyoto - Day at Nara
Day 15 – Kyoto
Day 16Kyoto - Mount Koya
Day 17Koyasan - Hiroshima
Day 18 – Hiroshima – Day at Miyajima
Day 19Hiroshima - Beppu
Day 20 - Beppu - Nagasaki
Day 21 - Nagasaki
Day 22 - Nagasaki - Fukuoka / Leave for Korea.

Most of the journeys will be made in the early morning, as to maximise time in each place.

Would it be worth getting a railpass for any part of my journey?

Also, calculating the route from Koyasan to Hiroshima using Hyperdia takes me to Wakayama, is this really the fastest way?

I'm guessing a SUICA is my best option for travelling around most of the cities on my list, correct?

As always, any suggestions are welcome!

... 2012/7/16 03:25
Would it be worth getting a railpass for any part of my journey?

If you dropped a day somewhere between Day 6 and Day 20 then I think a 14-day JR pass will pay off.

As it currently stands, I'd get a 7-day JR pass and use it from Day 16-22.

If you arrive at Narita get the Suica + NEX package:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

For Nikko use one of the Tobu passes:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html

For Nagano/Yamanouchi I'd consider the cheaper bus to get to Nagano (4000 yen), or the Shinkansen (8000).

Also, calculating the route from Koyasan to Hiroshima using Hyperdia takes me to Wakayama, is this really the fastest way?

Not when I search. Usually back to Shin-Imamiya - Osaka - Shin Osaka.

I'm guessing a SUICA is my best option for travelling around most of the cities on my list, correct?

Not really. Yes for Tokyo. Probably for the JR train between Kyoto and Osaka. Not for within Kyoto or Osaka.

Hope this helps!

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 03:31
Just to say that I just got back from 3 weeks in Japan and did the Matsumoto to Takayama to Kanazawa bus trip over a couple of days, Really it's easy and has absolutely beautiful scenery - don't worry that it's complicated compared to rail - it really isn't. HOWEVER, you will need to have cash on you to buy the tickets, because they don't take credit cards. All bus stations are right near the train stations in all three cities - can't miss them :)

When I went to Koyasan I routed my trip from Nara via Shinimamiya rather than Wakayama (You can buy a Koya Heritage Pass at Shinimamiya). I took the same route back to Shinimamiya, then hopped on a train for Osaka/Shin-Osaka to catch the bullet train to Hiroshima.
by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 10:23
If you are mad keen on seeing monkeys, can I suggest the Iwatayama Monkey Park , in Arashiyama West Kyoto. see http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

We considered going to the snow monkeys, but without snow it is just some monkeys in a hot bath. Iwatayama lets you feed them etc. Just be warned the climb up the mountain is quite a hike.
by Aussie Pete (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 11:13
I'm a Japanese.
It's a great plan.
But, It seems to be a little difficult to me. Maybe it depends on your budget and toughness. I don't know whether or not you will book every transportation tickets in advance, but I heard some foreigner's voices that some bus tickets for tarveling in night time need to be booked on the website written in Japanese. It was quite difficult for them.
I would recommend slight loose schedule.
Late september would be a good season to travel in Japan, and most of food in Japan would be nice even if they are not expensive.
I hope you have a nice trip!
by SOTA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 11:38
I would consider getting a one week JR pass for day 5 through 11. At that point you are in Kyoto. If you were planning on using a Tobo Nikko heritage pass for Nikko, then use the JR Pass for day 6 thought 12, and use the pass to cover transportation to Nara instead of Osaka, Nara is a straight shot on a JR Line, and I believe that the number of private lines will be needed to get around Osaka.

As to wether you do the Tobu-Nikko Pass, the round trip cost to Nara is 1380 yen, so the Tobu Nikko Pass is more expensive at 3600 yen, but the Pass also includes bus services in Nikko, and admission to the Toshogu Shrine, Futarasan Shrine, and the Rinnoji Temple. Either way is good.

To travel to Osaka, and to Koyasan, try a three day Kansai Thru Pass. This will cover many of the private lines in Osaka, and will get you up and down from Koyasan.

When you get down from Koyasan, either pay for the Shinkansen, or take a Willer Express bus to Hiroshima.

You then need to get to Kyushu, and use a JR Northern Kyushu Pass to get around. You could get on a Shinkansen and get to Hakata in an hour, or you could make a side trip to Matsuyama. There is a ferry that goes from Hiroshima to Matsuyama, and then a night ferry that leaves Matsuyama, and goes to Kokura, which is in the northeastern tip of Kyusho. I am pretty sure that you should be able to have the company who runs the night ferry hold your bags as you do a day trip around Matsuyama.

The cost of a non-reserved seat on a Shinkansen from Hiroshima to Kokura is 6820 yen, You can then purchase a five day JR Northern Kyushu pass for 2000 yen more than a 3 day pass, and go to Beppu. The limited express train from Kokura to Beppu is 3620 for a non-reserved seat, so the extra 2000 yen for needed forth day is covered.

If you choose the ferry route, you will need a 3 day JR Northern Kyoshu Pass to get to Beppu, Nagasaki, and Fukuoka.

I don't know if this is the optimal, but this is a fairly reasonable starting point to think about your tickets.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 12:56
Sorry for enetering someone else's thread, but I got scared about two things I read here, since I'm going to some of those destinations.

Overnight is fine if you can budget for it, alternatively it is a nice day trip from Hiroshima, just check the tide times for your exact day (link at bottom of the page):-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3450.html

Ouch... Do you mean I'm not sure I can take the ferry to Miyajima and back when I've planned to do? It depends on tides?

I think buses between Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa are easy to book and use.

Book? Do you mean booking in advance? Is there any risk in mid-august that the buses I've planned to take from Takayama to Shirakawago and then to Kanazawa get sold out? And if so, where can I reserve seats in advance?

Thank you.
by stefklas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 16:15
Do you mean I'm not sure I can take the ferry to Miyajima and back when I've planned to do? It depends on tides?

No, the ferries are unaffected by the tides. But the view of the shrine and torii is very different during low and high tide.

Book? Do you mean booking in advance? Is there any risk in mid-august that the buses I've planned to take from Takayama to Shirakawago and then to Kanazawa get sold out?

Seat reservations are required between Shirakawago and Kanazawa, but they are not required on all the buses between Takayama and Shirakawago as shown here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/shirakawago.html

Mid August (especially August 11-19, 2012) is one of the busiest times of the year. Still, I would expect the bus company to provide enough capacity. You can make reservations at the Takayama bus terminal.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 21:17
Thank you, so no reservations in advance, since we are getting there just the day before...

Let's hope they're providing.

Re: 21+ Days in Japan 2012/7/16 22:04
Can I buy a one-way ticket from Takayama to Kanazawa (3,300 yen) dropping in Shirakawago and then taking a later bus to Kanazawa on the same day or two different tickets are needed (2,400 + 1,800 = 4,200 yen)?

... 2012/7/16 22:15
Can I buy a one-way ticket from Takayama to Kanazawa (3,300 yen) dropping in Shirakawago and then taking a later bus to Kanazawa on the same day or two different tickets are needed (2,400 + 1,800 = 4,200 yen)?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you need to buy two. I have no idea why there is such a big difference in price.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread