Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help to decipher parking info 2012/7/24 11:20
Could someone please help me decipher where is the parking for "Hotel Seawave" in Beppu?
On the Japanese site they show five two-coloured (dark and light blue) parking lots:
http://www.beppuonsen.com/access/index.html
while in English they show parking at a totally different location, further away accross the railroad tracks (a few blocks away):
http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/9401/9401map_e.gif

So which one is it? Or all (any one) of them? Or just a further-away and less convenient parking location especially for gaijin?

And do they make any mention how to park there (first need to go to hotel, stop in front of it on the street, to get some parking pass/ticket, or park first (at which location?) and then just walk over to hotel and get the parking pass for the free/included parking there, or pay for parking and they reimburse it then, or..?)?

Any help on this would be appreciated, so that when I arrive there rather late at night I can park without too much stress and difficulty.

And on an unrelated question: are the ETC tolls payable in coins only, or both coins and paper money? Is exact change needed (machine only to drop coins in, for example), or do they provide change (human cashier is there)? And how much are the ETC tolls typically (e.g. for Fukuoka Airport to Beppu, how much should I expect it to be?)?

As you can probably see, just trying to get prepared for driving the first time in Japan.. :-)
by RealHJ  

Re: Help to decipher parking info 2012/7/24 11:51
So which one is it? Or all (any one) of them? Or just a further-away and less convenient parking location especially for gaijin?

All of them. Btw, the maps are a little deceptive. The overflow lot next to the station is really just across the street from the hotel's main parking lots.

And do they make any mention how to park there (first need to go to hotel, stop in front of it on the street, to get some parking pass/ticket, or park first (at which location?) and then just walk over to hotel and get the parking pass for the free/included parking there, or pay for parking and they reimburse it then, or..?)?

It doesn't mention the procedure, just that parking is free. I would try the main lots first, and if they are full just double park to check in. Then check with the staff about the procedure for their overflow lots. Mostly likely they just validate your parking pass when you leave.

Also, the hotel mentions that they will hold your reservation until 10PM so be sure to call them if you plan to arrive later than that.

And on an unrelated question: are the ETC tolls payable in coins only, or both coins and paper money? Is exact change needed (machine only to drop coins in, for example), or do they provide change (human cashier is there)?

You can pay for tolls in cash, coins, or credit card on most of the major national highways. Smaller private toll roads may only accept cash. Exact change is rarely needed.

Btw, ETC is an electronic pay system that requires a special credit card. Don't use the toll booth lanes marked ETC or it will be an embarrassing experience.

And how much are the ETC tolls typically (e.g. for Fukuoka Airport to Beppu, how much should I expect it to be?)?

Depends on the distance driven. Fukuoka Airport to the Beppu area is about 4100 yen.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Help to decipher parking info 2012/7/24 14:04
Thank You! This is very helpful.

One other question about getting around in Beppu. In the Japanese GPS I believe I need the phone number of the destination (since I can't write the place names in Japanese), and then it'll find it. But for the Beppu Jigoku (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4702.html), I can't really find any official sites that have their phone numbers (the few I find seem to be something else and not really there on site).

Any suggestions/ideas how to find these in the Japanese GPS, or any phone numbers for them available somewhere (for use in GPS) that I have missed perhaps?

e.g. http://www.city.beppu.oita.jp/02kankou/english/01info/03shizen/11jigok...
lists city parks and recreation tel #, and that in GPS won't find this location for me, for example..
by RealHJ rate this post as useful

Re: Help to decipher parking info 2012/7/24 14:47
If you are good with maps then you can simply navigate to the attraction on the navi and set it as your destination. Alternatively you can add spots by map code, and often by gps coordinates.

You can look up map codes here by navigating to the spot and then pressing the 地図URL button on the top right.

For example, the map code for Chinoike is: 46-552-833

fyi, the map code for
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Help to decipher parking info 2012/7/24 14:53
We too find inputting mapcodes are more accurate for GPS navigation. The following are the mapcodes for 8 of the hells in Beppu.

Tatsumaki Jigoku: 46 552 774

Chinoike Jigoku: 46 552 801

Oniyama Jigoku: 46 522 453

Shiraike Jigoku: 46 522 364

Kamado Jigoku: 46 521 509

Yama Jigoku: 46 521 443

Umi Jigoku: 46 521 467

Oniishibozu Jigoku: 46 521 377
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Help to decipher parking info 2012/7/24 15:01
Wonderful, thank you so much!
by RealHJ rate this post as useful