Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Seishun 18 Kippu Pass 2012/7/30 13:29
Hi guys, would like to inquire how do I use hyperdia to see the routes available to me using the seishun 18 kippu pass? what boxes should be checked and what should not be? (ie. JR company, limited express etc.)

My itinerary is as follows:
Day 1 : Kansai Airport - Osaka
Day 2 : Osaka-Nara-Kobe-Osaka
Day 3 : Osaka-Kyoto, if possible overnight train to Hakone/Kawaguchi
Day 4 : Reach Hakone/Kawaguchi in the morning - Tokyo
Day 5 and 6 : Tokyo sightseeing.

Would you guys suggest any other pass? I know I will not be opting for the JR 7-day pass as the cost is a bit too steep for me to bear. am considering a combination of Kansai Thru pass and overnight bus to Kawaguchi instead.

by Jonathan (guest)  

Re: Seishun 18 Kippu Pass 2012/7/30 13:52
Check

-Express
-Liner
-Walk
-Ordinary Train
-Japan Railway(JR)

Night train from Kyoto to Tokyo is not available with Seishun 18 Kippu Pass, except ''seasonal'' ''moonlight Nagara'' night train. The Moonlight Nagara is very popular and usually booked out.

So I would find an alternative way to travel from Kyoto to Tokyo(eg. night bus)
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/30 14:13
Your best alternatives are either overnight bus direct to Kawaguchiko.

Or overnight bus to Tokyo and then use whatever normal method to get from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko. This may work out cheaper than the direct overnight bus.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

You mention Kawaguchiko/Hakone, did you plan to visit both? You can't really see both in one day. I'd pick one or the other.

If you pick Hakone consider the Hakone Free Pass.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Seishun 18 Kippu Pass 2012/7/30 21:32
I didn't know that it was possible to use an Express train with a Seishun 18 Kippu Pass. Is this really true?
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

... 2012/7/30 21:50
I didn't know that it was possible to use an Express train with a Seishun 18 Kippu Pass. Is this really true?

No, you can't use Express trains, although there are a couple of exceptions.

You can use the Limited Express train from Kanita to Kikonai (to get from Honshu to Hokkaido), and also from Shintoku to Shin-Yubari.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Seishun 18 Kippu Pass 2012/7/31 00:41
I was wrong.

The only JR "Express" train still being operated as of 2012 is Hanamasu train. and 18 Kippu is NOT valid for Hanamasu.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Seishun 18 Kippu Pass 2012/8/1 08:53
Thank You, GC3, for the clairification. So, there is a few express trains, but the limited express are out. I kinda figured that was the case, but I wanted confirmation.

I thought I would never use a Seishun 18 Kippu Pass, but I have now found a few instances on my next trip where I would not have a active JR Pass, and would need to take a train. One instance was getting from Matsuyama to Fukuoka. I was planning to take a ferry from Shinkoku to Kyushu, but then I would need to take a train to get to Fukuoka on the island of Kyushu.

After looking at the amount of time it takes verses the cost, I believe that I will just purchase a point to point limited express ticket.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Seishun 18 Kippu Pass 2012/8/3 21:42
Some points are impossible or MOTTAINAI.

Day 1 : Kansai Airport - Osaka
Kansai Airport -Wakayama- Osaka
is better.
Day 2 : Osaka-Nara-Kobe-Osaka
Fine
Day 3 : Osaka-Kyoto,
if possible overnight train to Hakone/Kawaguchi
Impossible ! no more over nighter leaves regulory. And even if any - fully reserved already.
If you leave Kyoto on the time of Sunset you can reach TOYOHASHI or OKAZAKI where you can sleep in KARAOKE BOX or Manga-Kissa(cafe) . At least you can reach Nagoya. On the north side of Nagoya station there is two KARAOKE BOX . One is Cote d^Azur , another is Big Echo.

Day 4 : Reach Hakone/Kawaguchi in the morning - Tokyo
Starting from Nagoya or GIFU , anyway this is possible.
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

Re: Seishun 18 Kippu Pass 2012/8/3 23:18
Jorudan has a search function that lets you search for seishun 18 tickets. The problem is it's only in Japanese, the upside is though it usually goes through google translate pretty well.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread