Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/6 18:10
1. What city to be recommended to visit overnight when riding JR from Kanazawa to Sapporo in winter
2. JRP holder can take JR along the way up to Sapporo from Kanazawa , RIGHT?
3. How JR ride from shin aomori to Sapporo over the bride or undersea
by wittjasper (guest)  

Re: kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/6 18:41
What city to be recommended to visit overnight when riding JR from Kanazawa to Sapporo in winter

I recommend to take the Twilight Express overnight train, but note that it does not operate daily and that it is not fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass.

Otherwise, I recommend to fly from Kanazawa's Komatsu Airport to Sapporo.

If it has to be by daytime trains, Sendai or Morioka would be situated somewhat in the middle of the journey. Or Akita, if you were to travel along the even more time-consuming (but more scenic) route along the Sea of Japan coast.

JRP holder can take JR along the way up to Sapporo from Kanazawa , RIGHT?

Yes.

How JR ride from shin aomori to Sapporo over the bride or undersea

Honshu and Hokkaido are connected with each other by the Seikan Tunnel, currently the world's longest railway tunnel in operation.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/7 19:15
1. Thanks, We decide to take Sendai night life for 1 night as you advice and will get to SPR in the next day.

2. Is it enough time for 2 nights in SPR for the snow festivals, 3 sites, 5-6-Feb 13.
by wittjasper (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/7 19:24
How about Noboribetsu during winter
by wittjasper (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/8 01:20
I am currently living in sapporo and just so happen to have gone to Aomori for nebuta festival last weekend. The trip to takes about 4.5 - 5 hours. I had to change trains in Hakodate which added about 20 min to total travel time.
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/8 01:23
I forgot to login for that last post, but in general, 2 days should be enough for the sapporo snow festival, but I do Highly recommend visiting Otaru, which is about 30-40 min train ride from sapporo. They have a festival ゆきあかりのみち (yuki akari no michi) which is usually around the same time as the sapporo festival. If you really want to cut time short in sapporo, one day here in sapporo, and one day in otaru would be best IMHO.
by TheCanadianEh rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/8 02:03
Due to the time period of our trip is not so good as we have to reach Tokyo earlier than 8 Feb start date of light path festvals. If we go there, will we see the festival 2-3 days before?
by Wittjasper (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kanazawa to sapporo 2012/8/8 02:04
Due to the time period of our trip is not so good as we have to reach Tokyo earlier than 8 Feb start date of light path festvals. If we go there, will we see the festival 2-3 days before?
by Wittjasper (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread