Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Icoca & Haruka: reserving a seat 2012/9/10 15:29
Hi all,
Can you please clarify something for me? This website's page on the Icoca and Haruka discount tickets says "The ticket can be used on non-reserved seats".

Is it possible to pay extra and reserve a seat?

If not, how common is it for the non-reserved seats to sell out? I'm planning on getting a 4.45pm train from Kyoto. The 5:15pm and 5:45pm will also get me to Kansai in time.

by ausmomo  

Re: Icoca & Haruka: reserving a seat 2012/9/10 15:43
Is it possible to pay extra and reserve a seat?

No.

If not, how common is it for the non-reserved seats to sell out?

Non-reserved never sell out. But in rare cases all the seats could be taken, in which case you would have to stand.

But I think it is rather unusual that all seats get taken. And since Kyoto is the first station of many of the Haruka trains along the journey, you can line up in advance at the platform (or in an extreme case even skip a departure) in order to secure a seat.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka: reserving a seat 2012/9/10 15:49
Thanks for that.

We'll have quite a bit of luggage - probably 2 full sized suit cases each.

4.45pm could be peak hour, no? Is there a mad rush to board trains and secure seats, as there would be in Aus? Or if not mad, might it be orderly and polite (as I'd imagine in Japan)?

To avoid drama, I'm thinking about getting the 1 way I&H, and just reserving a seat for the return.

As always, thanks
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka: reserving a seat 2012/9/10 16:07
Haruka train is not crowded anytime.

Local people don't want to pay the expensive express surcharge for such a short ride (Kyoto - Osaka) and usually ride slightly slower Rapid train.

I would just go to Kyoto station 10 mins ahead of departure and that would be fine.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/9/10 16:09
We'll have quite a bit of luggage - probably 2 full sized suit cases each.

There are storage racks in the Haruka.

4.45pm could be peak hour, no?

Not on the Haruka.

Is there a mad rush to board trains and secure seats, as there would be in Aus?

No.

Or if not mad, might it be orderly and polite (as I'd imagine in Japan)?

Yes, if it was a rush/busy.

To avoid drama, I'm thinking about getting the 1 way I&H, and just reserving a seat for the return.

I wouldn't bother.

The Haruka mainly feeds the airport. It is expensive to use as a commuter train. Consequently, the vast majority of people using it are going to or from the airport. Even then, it is not a cheap way for doing this (without some of the tourist passes) so it is not usually very busy.

I've taken the Haruka 15+ times and it has never been busy. I have taken it quite often from Kyoto (or Shin-Osaka) back to Kansai at around that time to catch an 8:30pm flight back to Australia.

Save your 2290 yen and just use the ICOCA + Haruka package.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka: reserving a seat 2012/9/12 15:51
Dear all, since we talked about Icoca & Haruka, I need some advice here. Do you think i should buy 2 ways instead of 1 way?
I'm planning to go to Kyoto from airport when I arrived. I will spend a few days before heading to Osaka. I am staying at Shinsaibashi for 2 days before flying off. I can still use the Haruka to go back to Kansai airport isn't it?
by Jayswy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka: reserving a seat 2012/9/12 16:03
Shinsaibashi is just one stop from Namba and within walking distance. From Namba you can ride Nankai train to the airport which is direct and faster than JR.

So unless you love JR so much and definitely want to pay money to JR, normal people would ride Nankai train with ICOCA.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Icoca & Haruka: reserving a seat 2012/9/12 16:13
Got it, thanks!
by Jayswy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread