Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/17 08:28
Hello all,

Me , my husband and young 2 kids age 2.5 , 3.5 years then are traveling to Japan ( Osaka , Kyoto , Tokyo and Nikko ) between 22/12/12 till 02/01/13 from Bangkok.

I am now buying winter clothes for everyone .. But not too sure what to bring ? how cold it's going to be during that time? Could I buy some cloth in Japan ? Are they expensive there in Japan ? As I finding difficulty to find the right winter clothes from here in Bangkok.
Please help. Thanks
by Beelinda  

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/17 09:10
I googled " Japan winter Tokyo " and found this photo.
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~brodsky/Galleries/Japan/Tokyo%202-12and2-13...
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/17 10:00
Hi. We come from a hot area as well and were in a bit of a panic when we went to Japan for christmas. It does snow around that time, I'd have thought you would be a chance of getting snow at Nikko at least, though we found it was a little warmer when it snows than when it is just cold. The problem is that if you have lots of layers (eg thermals, clothes, jumper, jacket, scarf, gloves) you end up with a massive mound of clothing whenever you go inside, because hotels and restaurants, shops etc seem to be very hot. We are going back this year and are trying much more insulated jackets, Canada Goose (which you can get online from Amazon) and Lands End (also online, much cheaper). Uniqlo is where everyone recommends that you go in Japan
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/17 11:09
I come from a hot country too and i always go to Japan during Winter. The weather should range from 0 - 10 degrees while you are there. Tokyo & Osaka hardly snows. But there is a high chance of seeing snow in Kyoto while you are there at that time. Bring a thick winter jacket each with sweaters or thermal innerwears. Scarfs, snowcaps, gloves are also recommended if its your first time to a cold place. Do not bring too much if you are still unsure of what to bring. You can go to Uniqlo while you are there to shop for more clothes. Have fun!
by Nana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/17 11:25
Thanks for your reply. It seem like " Uniqlo" is the cheapest option ..
Are Uniqlo in Japan cheaper than other counties ? or price will be the same?

by Beelinda rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/17 14:35
If they are having a sale, it might be cheaper in Japan. It also depends on the currency exchange rate. I'm not sure how the prices of Uniqlo is in Thailand but for Singapore, the prices here and in Japan are more or less the same.
by Nana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/18 17:28
I would not suggest getting coats online as foreign cuts and sizes do not fit most smaller Asian frames.

Before arrival, get a thick coat, scarf, gloves and boots for starters. Sidewalks are often slippery in mornings after early melting of snow turning to slush and ice. A coat is sufficient as indoors are much warmer. Carry the coat. Note that space in restaurants are limited so you might find hangers or hooks or none for the extra outerwear. Wearing a long sleeve teeshirt was all I had with a heavy coat.

Note that you need the coat after you leave airport as the sudden chill after the hot SE Asia climate will be a shock for low immune systems.

Maybe you could find coats in larger malls in Bangkok or KL.

After arrival, if the weather is colder just get sweaters.

Bear in mind that near Christmas time, major stores might empty their winter inventory for spring wear.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/19 11:09
Thanks for your reply Donald.. It was really helpful. I might buy some winter clothes in Japan as well.

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/19 17:40
Yes, with a warm coat, you can walk the streets and slowly wander in stores to find the clothes you want.

Fashions in Tokyo are highly rated and frequently leaders of the pack. The designers pay attention to fine details, colour coordination matches, thin/thickness fabric, quality, surface design and craftsmanship. The colour kept its vibrancy after many washes.

I saw similar designs in Singapore, with higher prices, lesser details and quality.

And eat well like marbled beef and black cow meats or sashimi etc. Japan is one place where simplicity indicates taste of freshness in food matter. The higher price fits the quality.

In some countries the menu prices place ambiance, setting, lighting, location and brand name in higher importance than food quality.

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/19 18:03
In some countries the menu prices place ambiance, setting, lighting, location and brand name in higher importance than food quality.

Yea, you'll find these types of places all over Japan, but generally good ambiance comes with good quality food.

Bear in mind that near Christmas time, major stores might empty their winter inventory for spring wear.

Christmas is a little early for most stores to start carrying spring clothing, especially considering it just gets colder and colder through February.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/19 21:18
So what is the different in price to buy winter cloth in Japan and some Asian counties? I don't want to spend a lot of money as we are not going to traveling to cold counties that often.

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/20 09:42
Winter clothes in Japan are inexpensive and plentiful, especially during the season. I would estimate that jackets start around 2000-3000 yen, and can be purchased at the Uniqlo in Narita Airport.

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/20 09:53
that's really good to know that you can get that cheap winter clothes in Japan.. Good I can stop buying here now in Thailand. It is so hard to find and expensive.. Thanks

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/20 22:03
I would estimate that jackets start around 2000-3000 yen

It is doubtful to find these jacket prices (except at sales) anywhere in Tokyo esp at the airport outlets-(it will be realistic to find jackets either adult or kids outerwear at 30,000y at these outlets). In most major cities, it is considerably more expensive at main drag, hotels, airports, subway or train station outlets. To avoid disappointment or forced to buy these limited choices at higher prices, it is highly advisable to have jackets or coats (used, new, rented or borrowed) before arrival.

The drastic change from warm Thai to cold Tokyo weather can add another notch to the chill factor-- even if it does not snow in Dec.

If you are willing to take a risk, wear a few layers of silk or cotton teeshirts long sleeves. Thai silk is comfortable as it warms and breathes without sticking on skin. It will be fine unless it rains or sleet, yes wearing layers could be an alternative.

However, the issue is all these layers have to be removed once indoors or on trains, and you will have to find a place to stack them- a bulky hindrance esp on crowded trains/buses/malls.

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/20 23:26
I'm Thai in Bangkok too. I went there about the same time last year. It was pretty cold especially during windshield. Bring a winter jacket at least then you can shop around. Have fun!
by Paelert rate this post as useful

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/21 07:18
Thanks for your reply guys. I will bring some warm clothes just enough for my family to be use for few days then will see what we could find in Osaka ..Do I need to buy down jacket ? or just wool coat is fine?

Re: what clothes to bring for winter trip 2012/9/21 09:50
It is doubtful to find these jacket prices (except at sales) anywhere in Tokyo esp at the airport outlets -(it will be realistic to find jackets either adult or kids outerwear at 30,000y at these outlets).

Perhaps you don't do much shopping for cheap clothing, but prices do START in this range and are not difficult to find, even at the airport (there's a uniqlo inside the Narita Mall). Of course prices go up from there, but 30,000 yen is extremely expensive for a regular jacket, especially one that the OP will probably only use on this trip.

For example, Uniqlo had down jackets starting at 5000 yen at the airport last year. Fleece jackets were cheaper. Heavy down and wool more expensive, but rarely more than 15,000. The last heavy fleece jacket I bought at uniqlo cost 3000 yen.

Of course you should bring some clothes to tide you over until you can go out shopping. But you don't necessary need heavy clothes at first. Layering medium and light layers will be sufficient to start.

reply to this thread