Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamikochi in late October 2012 2012/10/6 15:53
Hi all fellow travellers. I have got a few questions relating to traveling in and around Kamikochi in Oct 2012. Please advise:

1. I am going to rent a car to drive from Tokyo to Kamikochi. How long does it take to drive there? What is the possible delay that I should anticipate during my drive to Kamikochi?

2. Where can I find some good uni-sex onsen with good view around the kamikochi area???

3. Any recommendation on ryokan or lodges around that area??? Preferably not in the Kamikochi area as we have a car and 3 days there. Could probably find something nice but relatively economical.

4. I understand that we cannot drive to Kamikochi and we need to take a bus from somewhere. Where is the best location to park the car to take the bus??? How much does it cost??? I have heard there is free shuttle service in and out of the Kamikochi area. Please advise

5. How long does it take if we plan to take it slow to see the whole of Kamikochi area?? i.e. with breaks and time for admiration of the scenary.

6. What area are worth visiting around the kamikochi area???

Thank you very much

Metal_tin
by metal_tin (guest)  

Re: Kamikochi in late October 2012 2012/10/6 17:11
I am going to rent a car to drive from Tokyo to Kamikochi. How long does it take to drive there?

About 3.5 hours from Shinjuku to the entrance of Kamikochi, where you will have to park your car and catch a taxi or bus into Kamikochi.

What is the possible delay that I should anticipate during my drive to Kamikochi?

There is always a risk of encountering a traffic jam due to an accident or congestion, in which case you could be delayed by 30-60 minutes.

Where can I find some good uni-sex onsen with good view around the kamikochi area???

I don't think there are any. There are not many onsen to begin with, and most are indoor or gender-segregated:
http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/facilities/bathe/

Any recommendation on ryokan or lodges around that area??? Preferably not in the Kamikochi area as we have a car and 3 days there. Could probably find something nice but relatively economical.

I recommend a rustic ryokan in Fukuchi Onsen in the Okuhida area:
http://fukujionsen.com/yado%202p-zi.htm

I understand that we cannot drive to Kamikochi and we need to take a bus from somewhere. Where is the best location to park the car to take the bus???

There are multiple parking lots from where you can take a taxi or bus. Taxis are usually waiting at the parking lots. I don't know how often and from where the buses depart, and I have not heard of a free shuttle:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6040.html#jump_access

How long does it take if we plan to take it slow to see the whole of Kamikochi area?? i.e. with breaks and time for admiration of the scenary.

It depends on how much you want to see. For serious hikers, "the whole Kamikochi area" includes multi-day trekking tours onto the peaks surrounding the valley. If you want too keep down in the valley, half a day will give you enough time to walk into the back of the valley and back. A full day will be even better if you travel at a slow pace. The best hours of the day are early morning and late evening when the daytime crowds are absent and you have the best chances of encountering the monkey troops and experiencing the serenity of the area. Therefore, an overnight stay is recommended.

Many daytime tourists are content with just seeing the area around the Kaapabashi Bridge, which takes just a few hours.

What area are worth visiting around the kamikochi area???

I recommend the stretch between the Taisho Pond and Myojin Pond.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi in late October 2012 2012/10/7 22:16
Thank you very much Ulji.

I wanted to take your advice on the accomodation. But they are all in Japanese but I think the Fukuji area is perfect for my trip. Is there any other websites with more choices around that area possible under 12000Yen ???

Do you know of a website with cheap accomodation inside the Kamikochi that we could possibly stay if we decided we wanted to spend another morning in the area???

Thanks tons

Metal_tin
by metal_tin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kamikochi in late October 2012 2012/10/8 12:21
Is there any other websites with more choices around that area possible under 12000Yen ???

Inexpensive ryokan offer rates under 12,000 yen per person and night, including two meals. Rakuten Travel, Japanican probably have some listings for the Okuhida area.

Japanese Guest Houses don't cover the area very well, but it is possible to consult them even about areas and ryokan that they do not list at all:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm

Do you know of a website with cheap accomodation inside the Kamikochi that we could possibly stay if we decided we wanted to spend another morning in the area???

The low budget option are camp grounds. All the options are listed here:
http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/english/institution/
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread