Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/14 19:44
I have heard it is not possible to use your regular mobile phone when in Japan, or at least some of them. Last time I visited was 6 years ago and using an older Nokia phone I left it at home relying on public coin phones.

However now I have two newer phones, one Nokia 2760 and one Apple iPhone 3Gs. Not sure if any of these will work or where I might get info about this. Read somewhere it is needed to buy a Japanese SIM card to use the phones in Japan, but where could these be bought?
by Ugo Sarash (guest)  

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 08:39
Old or new doesn't matter much.

More important is whether your phone company offers international roaming service. And whether your phone is Sim-locked.

Wifi works with no problem.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/branches.html
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 13:56
However now I have two newer phones, one Nokia 2760 and one Apple iPhone 3Gs.

The iPhone 3gs will work in Japan, but the Nokia 2760 will not.

Read somewhere it is needed to buy a Japanese SIM card to use the phones in Japan, but where could these be bought?

First your phone will need to be unlocked. Then you can either rent a sim at the airport (check out the softbank kiosk) or purchase a prepaid sim (either through the internet or at yodobashi camera).

Old or new doesn't matter much.

It does and it doesn't. Old phones tend to be GSM which don't work in Japan. Newer phones tend to be 3g which does work in Japan.

More important is whether your phone company offers international roaming service.

This is a good way to see if you phone is actually supported in Japan. Note however, that not all phones that can roam in Japan can use prepaid or rental sim cards.

Wifi works with no problem.

Note that free public wifi is not common. Paid wifi is though, and the skype wifi app is an easy way to connect to those when on the move.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 18:34
Thanks for your replies. So there will be no use to bring the Nokia as I understand. I thought it would be a good opportunity to use the iPhone to check up timetables etc, (which makes me wonder how I managed to transport myself throughout Japan just relying on stationary timetables).

As far as I know the iPhone is unlocked, using a SIM card on which I put money on for calling use. About the "international roaming service" I am not sure. The Nokia I used without problem in for instance Romania and Spain, but I had to activate it for international use at the phone company. Any calls recieved had to be paid by me though.

I suppose it is the same thing with the iPhone since the sim card is from the same operator, but I cannot use the same SIM card in Japan as I use over here?
by Ugo Sarash (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 18:45
I suppose it is the same thing with the iPhone since the sim card is from the same operator, but I cannot use the same SIM card in Japan as I use over here?

Maybe, it depends on the operator. Who are you using?

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 18:53
Using Swedish operator Tele 2 Comviq.

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 19:04
I can't read Swedish so you'd better check their site for their roaming policies. Otherwise, if its unlocked then you are probably better off getting a prepaid sim, or a wireless hotspot. Personally I'd go with the hotspot. It'll be cheaper, more convenient, and you can use voip for phone calls.

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 19:43
I have sent a mail to the customer service hopefully they will know what it is.

How easy is it getting a prepaid sim? We will be going to Tokyo and then directly to Fukuoka airport so we probably will not be able to get a SIM card until then unless it is possible to buy at Narita Airport in case we have time for that. Is the hotspot thing something you "buy" at a shop if you see what I mean. Maybe you know a page where I can read so you dont need to explain everything.

Voip? What is that? :)

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/15 23:02
I got a reply from my operator now,

Apparently there is a roaming service with Japan from over here which should make it possible to use our SIM-card in Japan, but the calling prices are quite expensive, Nearly 6 USD/MB for datatransfer, I suppose that means looking up timetables, etc.

About the hotspots or prepaid SIM-card, is it possible to for instance pay for unlimited use of datatransfer during a period of time? I got that kind of service over here, well it is not really unlimited, but it implies quite a lot of free GB transfers.

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/16 00:33
check this out
b-mobile VISITOR SIM 1GB Prepaid
\3,980
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/1gb.html
by y (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mobile phone usage in Japan 2012/10/16 00:43
Thank you!

reply to this thread