Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo National Museum 2012/10/16 13:36
Hello,

I am looking at places to go in Tokyo and came across the Tokyo National Museum. I'd like to learn about Japan's history overall, however I get the impression this museum has more art works and things and may not be what I am after. Is this the case?

Thanks!
by TenKenZ  

Re: Tokyo National Museum 2012/10/16 21:45
I don't think your impression is true. TNM is the best place to learn general Japanese history in central Tokyo. I've been there.

The other National Museum of History near Tokyo(between Narita and Tokyo)
http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/english/exhibitions/index.html
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo National Museum 2012/10/17 00:53
The TNM is certainly my most favorite museum in Japan. But indeed, at least the permanent exhibition is basically ALL artworks with little to put them in context of history. I think it is great for either somebody who already knows a little about Japanese (cultural) history or for somebody who just enjoys looking at art without caring too much about the history.

If you are after history, you might enjoy the Edo Tokyo Museum more. The National Museum of History also looks good, though I haven't been there.

Whatever you do, I'd still highly recommend the TNM as you won't see as high quality Japanese artworks elsewhere in the world in such concentration. Perhaps first learn about the history in one of the other museums and then enjoy the TNM afterwards!?

by Jensij rate this post as useful

reply to this thread