Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

jr pass and shinkansen 2012/10/16 17:53
When I arrive in Japan I'll be spending the first night in Tokyo before leaving early morning for Osaka. How long will it take at Narita to exchange for my JR pass and make a shinkansen reservation for my early train the next day? I read something about forms to fill out. How long does this take? Is there a lot of required information needed? Is this form just for the JR pass or is there another form for shinkansen? Should I get the reservation for shinkansen before asking for reservation on next available NEX?

For day trips from Osaka where I'll take shinkansen but am ok with nonreserved seating do I need to get a ticjet at ticket office with my JR pass or do I just board without ticket?
by JTravel (guest)  

Re: jr pass and shinkansen 2012/10/17 00:57
Of course it depends on how many people there are. I'd allow about 30 minutes for the procedure.

If you don't require a seat reservation you can just board the shinkansen with your JR pass (plus passport).
by Jensij rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass and shinkansen 2012/10/17 03:39
Indeed it can take a while if there are several people in front of you as the process doesn't appear to be the most efficient. In itself the form is not difficult to fill in.

Normally you also need to fill in forms if you make a reservation but I got in the habit of just writing the date, destination and approximate time on the back of a reservation slip and didn't bother with looking up the train numbers, etc.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass and shinkansen 2012/10/17 03:47
Thanks for the info. What information do I need for the forms when exchanging for the JR pass? What do I need for reservations? Do I just need the date and train number for reservation or is there more? Are the forms in english or will I have difficulty filling them out? Is it the same process for reserving NEX?
by JTravel (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/17 04:35
What information do I need for the forms when exchanging for the JR pass?

From memory: Full name, Passport #, Activation Date.

What do I need for reservations? Do I just need the date and train number for reservation or is there more?

In general I show them Date (if not today), From Station, To Station, Departure Time. Like Hoshisato I just write it on a random piece of paper, I don't use the official form. If I don't know the exact departure time (nowadays I usually do) then I just pick a time near when I want to leave (eg. 10:30am)

Are the forms in english or will I have difficulty filling them out?

They are in both, they tend to be a little more complex than required for a simple booking. I think it looks close to/the same as this:-
http://www.sol.dti.ne.jp/~sasaki-y/a006/b0005/c0003.html

I've never used one in any of my trips.

Is it the same process for reserving NEX?

Theoretically yes but at Narita they speak English so when you ask about the Narita Express they will just suggest a time for you and then make the reservation.

Where is your hotel on that first night? You may find it easier to transit via Shinagawa Station, but it depends where you stay.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: jr pass and shinkansen 2012/10/17 05:01
I'm planning on staying in Shinagawa at Toyoko Inn but haven't made reservation yet since they only allow member to make reservations earlier than 3 months in advance. I already have my reservation in Osaka, but I can't check in until 2pm. Is there a specific train that will get me into Osaka around that time? Where do I get the form for the reservation? Or should I just write all the information on paper and give it to them as you do? Would it be best to make the reservation in Shinagawa early in the morning before departure or would I have an easier time making the reservation at Narita the night I arrive? Would it be easier to reserve my trip back to Tokyo at the same time or is it easier to do in Osaka? If it's easy to do in Osaka, should I do so at Osaka or Shin-Osaka station? Thanks for your help.
by JTravel (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/17 05:13
I'm planning on staying in Shinagawa at Toyoko Inn

Sounds fine.

I already have my reservation in Osaka, but I can't check in until 2pm. Is there a specific train that will get me into Osaka around that time?

Depending on what you plan on doing I'd just catch an early train (the earliest) from Shinagawa Station. You can always leave your luggage in a coin locker at Osaka/Shin-Osaka Station or possibly drop it off at your hotel early and they should hold it for you.

You can look up trains and timetables using Hyperdia. Untick "Nozomi" and "Airplane" under "Search Details"
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Where do I get the form for the reservation?

In the station but I never use it. Or use the one I linked.

Or should I just write all the information on paper and give it to them as you do?

That's what I would do (obviously).

Would it be best to make the reservation in Shinagawa early in the morning before departure or would I have an easier time making the reservation at Narita the night I arrive?

I'd do it at Narita.

Would it be easier to reserve my trip back to Tokyo at the same time or is it easier to do in Osaka?

Obviously it would be easier at Narita. Depending on how busy they are either do it at Narita or just do it at some stage in Osaka.

If it's easy to do in Osaka, should I do so at Osaka or Shin-Osaka station?

Makes no difference.

Thanks for your help.

No worries!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread