Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling around Kanto area? 2012/10/20 17:34
Hey guys, I'm going to Japan in late Nov/early Dec and flying into Tokyo. I have been to Tokyo before and done some of the stuff there, but I have never been outside of it. I haven't booked accomodation yet. I'm travelling with a group of people, and some of them are going to Osaka first, and then Kyoto, for a a day and a half in both (1 night I think), however, its wasn't possible for me to fly into Osaka, so I miss the whole of that little excursion. I am in Japan for around 18 days but for the last 6 or so I will be in Sapporo, and at the snow.

I really regret that I am going to be unable to go to Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Himeji, Nara, etc and I am actually getting kind of sad now, so I thought I would ask you guys for some great things I could do in Kanto that would make me feel better xD
by hotoke (guest)  

... 2012/10/20 18:14
I don't understand. Why don't you just fly/bus/train to Osaka/Kyoto?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

You can fly with Jetstar from Narita for 5000 yen. Overnight buses are around that price too and save you on accommodation.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling around Kanto area? 2012/10/20 19:08
Yeah, I get that I can get there easy-- hell my flight to Sapporo cost 20$ but I'm flying in 2 days later, and because it's Jetstar/a sale fare I can't change it, and I don't think they let you change destination either. As such I wouldnt be able to get to Osaka in time, and Kyoto doesn't get flown to by Jetstar. If I went later it'd kinda be rehashing the trip.
by hotoke (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling around Kanto area? 2012/10/20 19:36
As GC3 said, it's easy enough and fairly cheap to fly from Narita to KIX. From there, catch the Haruka Express to Kyoto. Kyoto and Osaka are close to each other, you know. If you get a 1 day JR west pass, that'll make it really affordable too.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/20 19:37
You've got 18 days total, are they meeting you in Tokyo and travelling together with you?

What do you want to see? What do you want to do?

I'd just head down to Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) because of the autumn colours but there are plenty of options in and around Tokyo if you prefer.

Kawaguchiko, Hakone, Kamakura, Yokohama, heaps of other overnight or day trip options as mentioned here under side trips:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

If you want to get further away there are plenty of other options of course.

Re: Travelling around Kanto area? 2012/11/8 14:01
hey guys sorry I didn't respond for a while

they are meeting us in Tokyo and I want to do mostly semi-cultural interesting things close to Tokyo,
by ccx (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/8 14:06
they are meeting us in Tokyo and I want to do mostly semi-cultural interesting things close to Tokyo

Did you read my last post and go to all of the info pages on japan-guide for the places that I mentioned?

Do they suit?

Do you need others?

I'd still go to Kyoto/Osaka as well as 18 days in Tokyo seems way too long to me but whatever suits you.

You may also wish to look into the JR Kanto Area Pass and pick places within its boundary. You can click on them on the map:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html

Re: Travelling around Kanto area? 2012/11/8 14:08
What about One day trip to Kamakura or Nikko?
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling around Kanto area? 2012/11/8 14:11
For reference, the Kansai(Osaka area) is the craddle of the Japanese civilization. WAY more historical stuff than in a Tokyo that only became a capital in the late 19th century then was nearly destroyed twice in the 20th century.

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling around Kanto area? 2012/11/8 14:40
@Red Frog: Kyoto has been destroyed many times as well, irregardless, I cannot go there. it's non-negotiable. As much as I would like to I can't...

@GC3: I don't have 18 days in Tokyo, It's more like 11.5, I'm also going up to Niseko in Hokkaido. Kamakura sounds great and we might end up going to Hakone for a day trip. I don't exactly know what we would do in Yokohama and Nikko sounds very far. I wonder if it's worth spending a night there.

by ccx (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread