Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/23 14:12
Hi, I'm planning to visit these places during my visit to Tokyo in early autumn.

9-10am: depart to Saitama
1-2pm: Waterbus to Odaiba
4-5pm: Asakusa

1) Can I visit all these places in 1 day or shall I split them into 2 days..
2) I like to take the open roof boat, where's the suitable and most JR pass friendly place I should take to ride the bus?
is Omiya-Hamamatsucho-HInode Pier-Odaiba okay? Any cheaper route?
3) Is it okay if I go to Asakusa from Odaiba? Is it a bit hectic to do all those places?
From Hyperdia, train fare from Odaiba to Asakusa (Subway) is a bit high. Any route that I can fully use my JR pass?

Thank you
by purplela  

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/23 16:21
Is there a particular reason you're visiting Saitama? It seems to me like that is a lot for one day; do-able, but hectic. If you aren't going for a specific reason, skip Saitama and spend the rest of the day in Tokyo.

Odaiba has some interesting architecture and good shopping, but otherwise there isn't a ton to see. If you are interested in temples and traditional Japan, I'd put priority on Asakusa. You can see the main temple at Asakusa in an hour, but it is a bit rushed, and remember the temple itself usually closes earlier than, say, the shopping mall at Odaiba. Odaiba doesn't have any night life besides shopping malls. But then, neither does Asakusa!

Odaiba has its own line, Yurikamome I think it is called, that connects at Shimbashi station. It isn't on the JR pass, but it isn't expensive either. For Asakusa, I usually go to Akihabara or Ueno and take either the subway or a bus to get there. As an example schedule, you could go to Akihabara in the morning and take the bus to Tokyo Sky Tree, take some pictures and maybe even go up to see the view, then from there go to Asakusa and spend a few hours in Asakusa, then head on the Yamanote to Shimbashi and go to various stops in Odaiba in the afternoon.

Just some suggestions, enjoy your trip!
~SD
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/23 16:39
thanx, oh Im actually planning to visit the railway museum in Saitama. Going with my dad and brother for this trip first time, budget type. so would like to know if this museum worth going because we feel that apart from just sightseeing, we can go for 1 museum..but dunno what kind of museum suitable for us.
Actually I have 4 days in Tokyo.
Day 1: Meiji, harajuku, Shibuya
Day 2: Disney Sea
Day 3: Kawaguchiko
Day 4: Saitama railway museum, Asakusa, Odaiba

Here I need advise if I should reschedule the plan a little. Im not sure what to do after going back from Kawaguchiko which I dun think i will spend until late there.
So yeah last 2 days which Im not sure where to go. Would love to include Akihabara if is convenient too.

Will surely go to Asakusa for souvenirs.
Thank you for any suggestion :)
by purplela rate this post as useful

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/24 09:58
thanx, oh Im actually planning to visit the railway museum in Saitama. Going with my dad and brother for this trip first time, budget type. so would like to know if this museum worth going because we feel that apart from just sightseeing, we can go for 1 museum..but dunno what kind of museum suitable for us.
Actually I have 4 days in Tokyo.
Day 1: Meiji, harajuku, Shibuya
Day 3: Kawaguchiko
Day 4: Saitama railway museum, Asakusa, Odaiba
Here I need advise if I should reschedule the plan a little. Im not sure what to do after going back from Kawaguchiko which I dun think i will spend until late there.
So yeah last 2 days which Im not sure where to go. Would love to include Akihabara if is convenient too.

Will surely go to Asakusa for souvenirs.
Thank you for any suggestion :)

If you really like trains and end up going to Saitama I'd say doing it on Day one early in the morning before going back in the afernoon to Shinjuku/Shibuya to spend the rest of the day. Now, if you're just trying to find a suitable museum to me the best option is the National Museum of Emerging Science in Odaiba. Another option could be Studio Ghibli, to do it on Day one before Shinjuku, but I don't know how much you're into Ghibli films. The kawaguchiko day, you will normally stay there until no later than 5pm; you may have time to head to Shinjuku in the evening and visit Akihabara day one.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/24 14:14
Here is my suggestion:

Day 1: Saitama Museum in the morning, come back to Tokyo and hit up Meiji Jingu first, then Harajuku, Shibuya, and Shinjuku later at night. Meiji is better during the day, while I think Shinjuku nightlife is better to see. Try to get to Shinjuku's gov't building to see the sunset.

Day 3: Kawaguchiko. As the above poster said, you aren't going to want to stay past sunset, so head back to Tokyo. You could go to Shinjuku if you skipped it the first day, or Akihabara at night isn't bad either.

Day 4: Ueno Zoo/Museums/Park and Ameyoko street, Asakusa from there, and then swing around to Akihabara. You can see the Sky Tree from Asakusa if you just want pics, or if you want the view, you can easily go via the Sky Tree from Asakusa to Akiba by bus. You'll probably be finished with that by early afternoon, so then go to Odaiba after that.

Obviously it is a pretty hard schedule, and you might have to miss some stuff if you are tired, but you can't see everything in 4 days, so just see as much as you can and enjoy it!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/24 17:39
If you do only one museum in Tokyo, I would suggest the Tokyo Edo Museum in Ryogoku: it is amazing: of course, if you are railway enthusiasts, then ignore...
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/24 18:44
Tokyo Edo Museum in Ryogoku is near Asakusa.
I can recommend there, too.
http://www.edo-tokyo-museum.or.jp/english/
I often walk from Ryogoku to Asakusa,
but usually take train from JR Ryogoku station to subway Asakusa station via AsakusaBashi station.
http://goo.gl/maps/SxdhT
BTW, I can't recommend take train on subway Oedo line via Kuramae station.
Because I often find travelers who are lost way to transfer in Kuramae.
If you take subway Oedo line, via Shin-Okachimachi station is easy to transfer.
http://goo.gl/maps/HrTMT
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/24 22:18
Thank you for the suggestions. Alright I'll drop Saitama railway as I'm not really railway enthusiast. Edo-Tokyo museum sounds good and I'll put that into our plan.
Does this museum offer free kimono/traditional costume trial?

my itinerary (base Ikebukuro):
4 Nov: Meiji Jingu, Harajuku, Yoyogi Park & Shibuya
5 Nov: Disney Sea, Ikebukuro (night)
6 Nov: Kawaguchiko & Shinjuku
7 Nov: Ueno, Edo-Tokyo Museum, Asakusa, and if time permit waterbus to Odaiba

How's this one? Thank you :)

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/25 16:09
Zoo and Museums in Ueno is great.
But if you have little time, there is nothing in Ueno. (apart from Sakura season)

So how about this?
Ryogoku - Edo-Tokyo museum
Oshiage - look up SkyTree (and look in SolaMachi shopping area)
Asakusa - Kaminari-mon gate, Nakamise shopping street and Senso-ji temple
And Odaiba?

BTW, I dislike waterbus on Sumida-gawa river, the view of riverside that covered with concrete is not so good.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/10/30 23:39
thanx for the suggestion. Will try our best in adjusting the plan accordingly :)

Re: Saitama, Odaiba and Asakusa in 1 day 2012/11/13 02:19
Hi all, just returned home from Japan about 10 minutes ago. Well, while I manage to follow some of the planned itinerary, there are few places that I couldn't make it since Im travelling with my family and everybody have their own pace. Anyway, Japan is a nice and beautiful country esp. their people.

reply to this thread