Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying tickets to Kyoto Temples 1 Hour wait? 2012/11/1 07:49
Am I correctto say I will have to queue up / wait in line for one hour or more to buy a ticket to enter the Temples and Gardens in Kyoto this November (25th to 3rd Dec.). I expect 'thousands of people' both Japanese and International Tourist to be visiting the Temples and Gardens of Kyoto during this Autumn period. How long should I allow to buy a ticket and get in to the Temple grounds?. I did read somwhere that waiting in line for One Hour is average? Are there any 'special' considerations for International Tourists or Senior Citizens. As always, thank you.
by Barrieaw  

Re: Buying tickets to Kyoto Temples 1 Hour wait? 2012/11/1 09:15
The only temple with waiting times during the peak of the autumn color is Tofukuji:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3930.html

You can avoid waiting times at Tofukuji by going very early in the day or possible late in the afternoon.

I have not ever encountered any waiting times at any other temple.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Buying tickets to Kyoto Temples 1 Hour wait? 2012/11/1 10:26
Great!...many thanks.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Buying tickets to Kyoto Temples 1 Hour wait? 2012/11/1 10:52
You can avoid waiting times at Tofukuji by going very early in the day or possible late in the afternoon

I plan on arriving at Tofukuji at about 8am, for the 8.30am opening. Is this what you mean by "very early"?
thanks
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: Buying tickets to Kyoto Temples 1 Hour wait? 2012/11/1 10:53

one hour or more to buy a ticket

I visited –|¸£ËÂ, T¨­fukuji a couple of years ago during the peak of Koyo season. Getting the tickets was a matter of minutes , but it was a long one and half hour queue to enter.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying tickets to Kyoto Temples 1 Hour wait? 2012/11/1 12:06
The special night time illuminations can have long wait times to enter, but an hour would be extreme. I've also seen lines at some of the smaller temples in Nanzenji and Arashiyama, but again it was probably no longer than a 10-15 minute wait at the long end. I'm sure there are other more specific situations, so just be prepared.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying tickets to Kyoto Temples 1 Hour wait? 2012/11/1 12:47
I visited early last December and there was no lines to enter Kiyomizudera or Kinkakuji. But probably best to avoid weekends. Maybe we were just lucky?

We were also at Arashiyama during Hanatoro and there weren't many lines to food stalls, just a LOT of people, especially in the bamboo forest.
by Obak3 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread